Thread: Endy Chavez

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Endy Chavez

Do we have him signed beyond this year or is he on a 1 yr deal?

There will be plenty of teams looking to make him there lead off batter next season if he is a FA..

He wont be cheap to hang on to.But he is so valuable I hope the Mets pay him..He's unreal insurance for the lead off or #2 spot in the lineup if anyone goes down and he is a great 4th outfielder cause he can play all 3 spots..Plus he is fast as balls and can be used later in games as a pinch runner if needed..

With Floyd gone next season the Mets need to hang on to Endy Chavez..They have more money to spend then most teams and with no salary cap they need to just pay him market value..

He wont get a break the bank type deal from anyone but someone will pay this kid some good cash..I hope its the Mets.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 08-10-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The turnaround in his hitting this year has been just uncanny. I don't miss Floyd at all.

All Pro
    Chavez is signed for 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    I don't believe that is true... Pretty sure it was a one-year contract worth $500K.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Wrong.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayjoe
    I don't believe that is true... Pretty sure it was a one-year contract worth $500K.
    Correct... while Omar is doing a great job locking up core players, he should extend an offer to Chavez that's at least a 2 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    Correct... while Omar is doing a great job locking up core players, he should extend an offer to Chavez that's at least a 2 year deal.
    He figured he would be nothing more than a bat off the bench this year.

If you remember, it was supposed to be Nady/Diaz in the RF slot.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    He figured he would be nothing more than a bat off the bench this year.

If you remember, it was supposed to be Nady/Diaz in the RF slot.
    I'm not saying Omar made a bad decision signing Chavez to a 1 yr. deal at the beginning of this season. That was a good move.

However, now that we've seen what he can do... it's time to lock him up for at least 2 years while we see if Diaz and Milledge are studs or duds.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    Unless Omar offers him a ridiculously sweet deal, why would Endy sign a deal now? This may be the one time in his career that he has a chance to cash in --he's not going to sign a deal he that is a "nice" contract for a 4th outfielder. More likely, he'll wait until the offseason and sign with some team that legitimately needs a CF and leadoff hitter.

We have our leadoff hitter. We need more of a power bat in RF. I highly doubt we go into next year with Endy slated to start, as much as I think he's done a great job this year.