Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: News: Mets and D'Backs Talk Shawn Green

  1. #1

    News: Mets and D'Backs Talk Shawn Green

    ...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

    The East Valley Tribune writes that the Mets and Arizona have recently had trade talks involving D’Backs 1B-OF Shawn Green, who cleared waivers earlier this week…

    According to the report, Green would need to waive his no-trade clause for a deal to occur…

    Green is due $9.5 million in 2007 with a $10 million option or a $2 million buyout for 2008…

    According to Newsday, the Mets want the Arizona to pay half of Green’s 2007 salary and the $2 million buyout in 2008…

    …the buzz from arizona has the d’backs in search of pitching, such as a RHP Brian Bannister or LHP Evan McLane type…

    The East Valley Tribune also references the close friendship between Green and Carlos Delgado, who was in Green’s wedding…

    Green is batting .287 with 10 HR and 48 RBI spanning 106 starts for Arizona…

    from MetsBlog.com



    I'm not really all that big on Green, I think he would be valuable, but for some reason i'm not excited at the prospect of just adding ANOTHER new cog into the system. This obviously revolves around Cliffy and what the organization thinks he's gonna be like the rest of this year, but I think between Tucker, Chavez, Ledee and Milledge, we should be able to figure something out right?

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,168
    I wouldn't mind Green if the Dbacks payed some of his salary, hes better than the players you named.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Stuck in Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    2,412
    Thanks for the info. We can always use another stick.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,466
    From Espn:


    Shea hello?
    Aug 15 - With Cliff Floyd hobbled and the Mets' right-field situation unsettled, the Diamondbacks' Shawn Green might be a possible outfield replacement, according to reports out of New York and Arizona.
    Green would have to waive his no-trade clause, but a source told Newsday that the outfielder would likely agree to a trade to the Mets.

    Any trade would have to be completed by the Aug. 31 deadline, when postseason rosters have to be set.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    From Espn:


    Shea hello?
    Aug 15 - With Cliff Floyd hobbled and the Mets' right-field situation unsettled, the Diamondbacks' Shawn Green might be a possible outfield replacement, according to reports out of New York and Arizona.
    Green would have to waive his no-trade clause, but a source told Newsday that the outfielder would likely agree to a trade to the Mets.

    Any trade would have to be completed by the Aug. 31 deadline, when postseason rosters have to be set.

    Yeah, I heard the rumor was Greene for Royce Ring and Victor Diaz, which would be a huge steal.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    Yeah, I heard the rumor was Greene for Royce Ring and Victor Diaz, which would be a huge steal.
    I'd so the above mentioned deal in a heartbeat, but there is no way I'd trade Bannister for Greene.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,323
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    I'd so the above mentioned deal in a heartbeat, but there is no way I'd trade Bannister for Greene.

    Ahh. Bannister wont ammount to much imho

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    Ahh. Bannister wont ammount to much imho
    I don't think he'll be a superstar, but I would not discount him as a solid #4 or #5 pitcher for the Mets. I'd rather keep a starting pitcher rather than acquire another outfielder at this point. Who knows... maybe Bannister can contribute positively to the remainder of this season.

    P.S.

    When the HELL is he supposed to come back anyway ??!!

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Stuck in Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    2,412
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    I don't think he'll be a superstar, but I would not discount him as a solid #4 or #5 pitcher for the Mets. I'd rather keep a starting pitcher rather than acquire another outfielder at this point. Who knows... maybe Bannister can contribute positively to the remainder of this season.

    P.S.

    When the HELL is he supposed to come back anyway ??!!
    Great point!!! God when Bannister 1st went down I figured he'd be back 3-4 weeks tops! What actually happened, did he have his leg torn off or something?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGee77
    Great point!!! God when Bannister 1st went down I figured he'd be back 3-4 weeks tops! What actually happened, did he have his leg torn off or something?
    he busted his hamstring.

    he's starting to rehab in AA right now.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,853
    Mets need pitching (Bannister) not another 1B/OF

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    Yeah, I heard the rumor was Greene for Royce Ring and Victor Diaz, which would be a huge steal.
    I respectfully disagree... We are not getting the Shawn Green of yesteryear. It's easy to get caught up in the name and forget that the pop in Green's bat has significantly faded over the past 3-4 years. In my mind, he is not a significant upgrade over Floyd. Floyd will be back down the stretch, and we obviously do not need Green for these regular season games. It's clear that Diaz has no future with the Mets, but Royce is a talented young lefty, just scratching the surface of his talent. Plus we would take on money (albeit a reasonably small amount) and clog up an outfield spot that we seem determined to have Lastings Milledge fill next year. I honestly cannot see how Ring/Diaz for Green makes any sense whatsoever. Someone please explain.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayjoe
    I respectfully disagree... We are not getting the Shawn Green of yesteryear. It's easy to get caught up in the name and forget that the pop in Green's bat has significantly faded over the past 3-4 years. In my mind, he is not a significant upgrade over Floyd. Floyd will be back down the stretch, and we obviously do not need Green for these regular season games. It's clear that Diaz has no future with the Mets, but Royce is a talented young lefty, just scratching the surface of his talent. Plus we would take on money (albeit a reasonably small amount) and clog up an outfield spot that we seem determined to have Lastings Milledge fill next year. I honestly cannot see how Ring/Diaz for Green makes any sense whatsoever. Someone please explain.

    Well, I agree with you that Green is not a valuable commodity anymore... Honestly I would be just as happy seeing Endy as Green in left, and I would like to see Cliffy more than both of them... but if Cliff doesnt come back, or gets injured again... we'll have 2 spots in the outfield come playoff time and these candidates: Endy, Milledge, Tucker, Ledee. Honestly unless Milledge shapes up or Endy shows every day starter stuff, Green would probably be a better option then all them. Then again, Tucker has shown some pop on his bat. I'm not crazy about the trade, but I would think that a competant outfielder for a perennial AAA reliever and a prospect-gone-horribly-wrong is a steal. That is unless Ring showes us great stuff. I honestly have not seen him pitch too much to tell, but obviously he must be unrelieable to still be traversing to the minor leageus.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us