Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lastings Milledge's D

Lastings Milledge's D

I still believe he's got potential, but will someone find me the moron who labeled this guy a 5-tool player??? He gets the worst jump on the ball I have ever seen. I don't care how long he's been in the bigs, there is no excuse for him being as lost in the outfield as he is on a nightly basis.

I think he might just be lazy. He seems to br fully capable of making those catches, its just that he prolly just doesnt care.
    He does seem to have some issues with coaching and stuff though.

Holy Christ.

I can't take the Milledge bashing.

He IS a five tool player, and no he's not lazy, he's just nervous.

This is from a post on Metsblog.com:

Cabrera was awful though when the yankees brought him up last year for the first time.

He went something like 1/27 and dropped a bunch of routine crap in the outfield. They sent him down for the rest of the year and brought him back this year, and now look where he's at.

Look.

all i'm saying is this. You can't be "disappointed" with Millz defense. It's not that we are getting a less skilled player than we thought we were. It's just that we are getting a more nervous player than we thought we were. I'm sure once he chills out, he'll start being the guy he was prospected to be.

For example, just putting this on the table. In the game today, the second ball that he messed up, it was a ball that he could have probably could have caught, and made a great play on, but he was shy to lay out, and so he completely messed it up instead. He'll improve. But I do think he should get sent down for the rest of the year. It's not doing him any good to stay up here.

If you guys dont get off of his back you are gonna ruin this guy.

I'm 20 years old myself and a Musician. Sometimes i'll go up to Jazz clubs where they have "jam sessions" and sit in with the older musicians. They expect you to have all the routine songs and progressions down, and totally internalized... They put you on the spot, they want to see what you can do. I like to think of myself as talented musically the same way Milledge is athletically, but even so, I sometimes slip up, get nervous, and freeze, like Millz does. The difference is most of these older music cats dont go out of their way to make you feel like crap, and the audience is not booing you. If I got booed making a mistake on stage I would never want to play my instrument again. If you guys continue to pressure and boo Milledge your really gonna ruin him. So what if he's young, black, and arrogant? So have a lot of the greatest athletes been. You dont like him because he wears a stocking cap? Go to hell, it's his choice to protect his braids, and it looks fine to me.

Just give him a chance.

Cabrera was awful though when the yankees brought him up last year for the first time.
    But isnt Milledge more highly touted than Cabrera?

Anyway, we aren't trying to bash him, all we're saying is he needs to work on his defense if he's gonna be a starter in place of someone like Chavez.

Besides this, I'm quite impressed with him, his swing, and his patience, and I think, with a little work, he'll can be a star.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolGreen222
    But isnt Milledge more highly touted than Cabrera?

Anyway, we aren't trying to bash him, all we're saying is he needs to work on his defense if he's gonna be a starter in place of someone like Chavez.

Besides this, I'm quite impressed with him, his swing, and his patience, and I think, with a little work, he'll can be a star.
    that's exactly what i'm saying, cabrera was awful and his ceiling is much lower than Milledge. So it's not possible that Milledge is just a "bad fielder" like some mets fans are making it out to be

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jermaine]Holy Christ.

I can't take the Milledge bashing.

He IS a five tool player, and no he's not lazy, he's just nervous.

Correction---
    He is a potential 5 tool player. Wasnt alex Ochoa a potential 5 tool player as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    that's exactly what i'm saying, cabrera was awful and his ceiling is much lower than Milledge. So it's not possible that Milledge is just a "bad fielder" like some mets fans are making it out to be

he sucks, and so does his team.

But if you don't think Milledge HAS BEEN a bad fielder ths far, you haven't been watching. His defense has flat out stunk. Put the pom-poms down.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    he sucks, and so does his team.
    cabrera?

dont be THAT harsh on yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by broadwayjoe
    But if you don't think Milledge HAS BEEN a bad fielder ths far, you haven't been watching. His defense has flat out stunk. Put the pom-poms down.
    Dude, OF COURSE HE'S PLAYED BAD DEFENSE.

Does that make him a bad fielder? NO.

HE'S NERVOUS.

Let HIM GROW.

Dude, OF COURSE HE'S PLAYED BAD DEFENSE.

Does that make him a bad fielder? NO.
    Oh, my bad... I must be completely mistaken about what makes one a bad fielder.

By the way, skills like reading the ball off the bat are not skills you acquire at the major league level... By now, he should not be charging at balls that are hit over his head... you want to buy the nerves factor, go for it. I don't, at least not in the field.

Oh, my bad... I must be completely mistaken about what makes one a bad fielder.

By the way, skills like reading the ball off the bat are not skills you acquire at the major league level... By now, he should not be charging at balls that are hit over his head... you want to buy the nerves factor, go for it. I don't, at least not in the field.
    so you think he's actually terrible in the field and every single scout was just totally wrong.

It's not nerves at all, he just plays atrocious defense and fooled people his whole career thus far?

so you think he's actually terrible in the field and every single scout was just totally wrong.

It's not nerves at all, he just plays atrocious defense and fooled people his whole career thus far?
    I believe people overrated his defensive ceiling based largely on his athleticism... And Jermaine, It wouldn't be the first time a concensus of scouts was totally wrong.

I wonder how much getting adjusted to RF from CF has affected him.

I believe people overrated his defensive ceiling based largely on his athleticism... And Jermaine, It wouldn't be the first time a concensus of scouts was totally wrong.
    People may have overrated his defensive abilities, but I have a hard time seeing scouts call him a great defender and then in reality he's actually terrible, which is how he has played so far. I think it's really more likely that it's nerves.

He is young and learning a new position..........

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I love it when these 5 tool players can't hit, field or run the bases. Has anyone seen the dude we traded Nady for? I knew that deal would come back to bite us. Panic moves always do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Milledge. Should be showing some signs of an impact player, for being a high regarded prospect. He doesnt show anything. I think he may be a decent player when he develops. But no way he could ever be a impact player, theres no way if he had that potential, you would see something right now I mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    I love it when these 5 tool players can't hit, field or run the bases. .
    Patience.

He is the youngest position player in the Majors.

Some facts/perspective:
    .223/.330/.416 in 413AB's

.238/.295/.400 in 80AB's followed by .247/.303/.337 in 368AB's the following season

.215/.352/.438 in 130AB's followed by .165/.212/.297 in 91AB's

.204/.241/.204 in 54AB's followed by .204/.241/.204 in 142AB's

Those are the first (and in a few cases the second as well) years of
    Barry Bonds, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Delgado, and A-Rod
    Not everyone is a David Wright that comes up and hits immediatley. BTW Nady has ben pretty bad in Pit, and Oliver Perez is pitching in AAA Norfolk and is coming off an impressive start.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    Milledge. Should be showing some signs of an impact player, for being a high regarded prospect. He doesnt show anything. I think he may be a decent player when he develops. But no way he could ever be a impact player, theres no way if he had that potential, you would see something right now I mean anything.
    He is improving in his plate discipline immensley since his recent call up.

Did you say the same thing about Jose Reyes when his OBP was in the .290's and was swinging at everything in the dirt.

NY fans have no patience.