Thread: Interesting Article for the 3 or 4 Remaining ARod Fans...

Jets Insider VIP

Interesting Article for the 3 or 4 Remaining ARod Fans...

This is Lupica's article from Sunday's Daily News on the chilly relationship between ARod and Jeter. I don't give a damn about this stuff, but a couple of quotes from Yankee players struck me:

I asked four Yankees last week to talk about the relationship between Jeter and A-Rod on the condition that none of their names would be in the newspaper, just because asking either Jeter or A-Rod about this union is about as illuminating as asking the Clintons about theirs. All of the Yankees I talked to have baseball opinions I respect. Not one of them has a beef with either player.

The third Yankee smiled and said, "Let's just say they're acquaintances."

I told him they had to be more than acquaintances, they've nearly played together now for three full seasons.

"Acquaintances," he said again.

I asked him if he thought it was important to A-Rod that Jeter liked him. The guy nearly yelled out an answer, laughing now as he did.

"Alex wants everybody to like him," he said. "I like him. But when you want everybody to like you or love you as much as he does, and you're playing alongside somebody the fans are always going to love more, then you're going to have problems. Not Jeter. Jeter's Jeter, he doesn't change. I'm talking about Alex. He worries about stuff that Jeter never does."

The last guy was simply asked to come up with one word to describe the relationship. He thought about it for a while.

"Truthfully?" he said. "It's chilly."

A-Rod talks and talks, about everything, and makes even Yankees who want him to do well roll their eyes.

The other day, a reporter was talking to another star Yankee and the Yankee saw the crowd in front of A-Rod's locker and said, "Better get going, you don't want to miss today's excuse."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-374835c.html

Yes, I can't stand ARod because I think he's softer than a pack of Charmins, but when your teamates think he's a phony and an excuse maker, there really is something wrong there.

wow... I had no idea the lockerroom was like that. I almost feel bad for A-Rod, but it kind of sounds like he doesn't belong in the Yankees clubhouse. It seems like he lets too many things bother him.

I think Jeter's a tremendous player, HOF'er, all that good stuff. I also have no idea how A-ROd acts towards his teammates - but, it seems a little surprising that the Captain wouldn't have a better relationship with someone who obviously needs some support

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    I think Jeter's a tremendous player, HOF'er, all that good stuff. I also have no idea how A-ROd acts towards his teammates - but, it seems a little surprising that the Captain wouldn't have a better relationship with someone who obviously needs some support
    It's obvious to me that Jeter thinks ARod's a whuss. It's as if Jeter is disgusted by ARod, being that he has never played with a player with this much talent who is so emotionally high maintenance. The captain thing is overblown because it seems that many players in the Yankee locker room have issues with ARod.

You have to see their interaction some times. The article mentions the pop up and Jeter's reaction to ARod. What I remember are the two times in the playoffs when the Yanks were down against Boston (Game 6) and Angels (Game 7). In both games, Jeter got a big hit and was followed by ARod. Both times the camera was on Jeter as he shouted "Let's Go" to ARod. What does Alex do? He hits that dribbler against the Sox and tries to knock the ball out of the pitcher's hands. The camera is on Jeter shaking his head. Then against the Angels, ARod hits the series killing double play. The camera is on Jeter again who is glaring at ARod. You could swear that Jeter wanted to spit in ARod's face.

In essence, Steve Philips was right: 24+1 if you sign ARod.

The thing is, ARod, thus far in this 3 games with the Bosox has been bad. This is masked by the Yanks winning, of course. Yankee fans are actually surprised that he gets a hit with men in scoring position. Manny hits 3 run homers in the same situation that Arod is where the fans hope he can get the ball in the air to score the guy from third or not hit into a double play when runners are on 1st and 2nd.

In the end, their problem can be summed up simply: ARod has no balls, Jeter does and Jeter is not one to coddle teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    The thing is, ARod, thus far in this 3 games with the Bosox has been bad. This is masked by the Yanks winning, of course. Yankee fans are actually surprised that he gets a hit with men in scoring position. Manny hits 3 run homers in the same situation that Arod is where the fans hope he can get the ball in the air to score the guy from third or not hit into a double play when runners are on 1st and 2nd.
    I don't see how Arod's been bad in the three games. Just because he didn't hit a HR in those situations?? He's 5 for 13 with 5 RBI in the series. Hardly something to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    It's obvious to me that Jeter thinks ARod's a whuss. It's as if Jeter is disgusted by ARod, being that he has never played with a player with this much talent who is so emotionally high maintenance. The captain thing is overblown because it seems that many players in the Yankee locker room have issues with ARod.
    Many people think A-Rod's a wuss, and they are probably right but the issue is what are you going to do about it? Playing tough love isn't going to help the problem.

You have to see their interaction some times. The article mentions the pop up and Jeter's reaction to ARod. What I remember are the two times in the playoffs when the Yanks were down against Boston (Game 6) and Angels (Game 7). In both games, Jeter got a big hit and was followed by ARod. Both times the camera was on Jeter as he shouted "Let's Go" to ARod. What does Alex do? He hits that dribbler against the Sox and tries to knock the ball out of the pitcher's hands. The camera is on Jeter shaking his head. Then against the Angels, ARod hits the series killing double play. The camera is on Jeter again who is glaring at ARod. You could swear that Jeter wanted to spit in ARod's face.
    What you're telling me is that Jeter desperately wants A-Rod to play better. Sure. All Yankees fans do. But glaring at him and maintaing a "chilly" atmosphere isn't going to help. It doesn't matter if A-Rod brought this on himself for being mentally weak, what matters is coming to a successful resolution. Getting mad at A-Rod for failure serves no purpose, since A-Rod's problems do not deal with hustle or effort.

In essence, Steve Philips was right: 24+1 if you sign ARod.
    I haven't seen any indication of A-Rod being a prima donna this season.