Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-Rod

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

A-Rod

I have been an A-Rod defender for some time now...I feel as though a lot of the criticism leveled against him was misplaced and exagerated...

But I have had enough.

He may have good numbers...he may be one of if not the best player of this generation, he may be a 5 tool player in every sense of the word...

But the August 2006 version of Alex Rodriguez has become a human anchor on the Yankees.

He simply does not get the job done...he doesn't advance runners, he doesn't succesfully score runners on sacrifices, and he kills rally after rally with piss-poorly timed double plays.

Throw in a ludicrous number of fielding errors and muffed plays that don't count as errors, but keep opponents innings alive, and you have the highly paid dissapointment that is A-Rod 2006.

I don't subscribe to the trade theory...he's still too talented and offers too much, but it's time that Torre sends a message...move him down in the order...maybe to 7 or 8, or even give him 2-3 full days off to unf*** himself.

It's not something that career stats can defend anymore.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffboy
    I have been an A-Rod defender for some time now...I feel as though a lot of the criticism leveled against him was misplaced and exagerated...

But I have had enough.

He may have good numbers...he may be one of if not the best player of this generation, he may be a 5 tool player in every sense of the word...

But the August 2006 version of Alex Rodriguez has become a human anchor on the Yankees.

He simply does not get the job done...he doesn't advance runners, he doesn't succesfully score runners on sacrifices, and he kills rally after rally with piss-poorly timed double plays.

Throw in a ludicrous number of fielding errors and muffed plays that don't count as errors, but keep opponents innings alive, and you have the highly paid dissapointment that is A-Rod 2006.

I don't subscribe to the trade theory...he's still too talented and offers too much, but it's time that Torre sends a message...move him down in the order...maybe to 7 or 8, or even give him 2-3 full days off to unf*** himself.

I agree, it's very frustrating. Whatever his problem, it's purely mental. I think he has a LOT of problems he needs to sort out -- self-esteem, confidence, whatever.

Whatever it is though, it's too high maintenence for the reigning AL MVP. It's like he's having a nervous breakdown. It's crazy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are the numbers which really tell the story with ARod.

He's batting .288 on the season. In any count that has 2 strikes (0-2, 1-2, 2-2 and 3-2), he is batting .184 which is absolutely dreadful. Ahead of the count at 2-0 which is usually a count to do damage, he is batting .267.

Close and late (team's tied after 7th or ahead by 1 or trailing by 1 or more with the tying run at least on deck) he is batting .215. With man on 3rd with less than 2 outs he is batting .250 and has the second worst RBI percentage of anyone in the AL in getting that runner in.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Im a huge fan and ive said this for years

ive been telling people from 8 yrs ago that derek jeter was the best shortstop and baseball and everyone said i was crazy.....arod is a choke artist....he cant perform in the spot light......he has the most talent in the world but is the biggest head case in baseball....everytime he comes up to the plate he puts so much pressure on himself and chokes......arod needs to get out of ny cuz he doesnt have the balls to play here

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not that he's "just not getting it done in big spots," it's that he's having a subpar season this year in all spots. It happens to every single player. He was the deserved MVP last year and did get it done in big spots, and this year he's just not hitting.

I mean, to say that A-Rod can't get it done in big spots given this season is just ludicrous. If that were the case, then people should have been saying the same thing about Jeter last year, who I believe set a record for making the last out of ballgames while having the tying runs on base. It's not that he can't get it done in those spots though, it's just that sometimes you don't get your hits there.

I will say that A-Rod's lack of getting the man in from 3B with less than 2 outs is quite frustrating... But I'll make a bet that he'll be MUCH better at it next year if not for the remainder of this year.

He's a great, great player and he plays the game as hard as anyone. He doesn't use performance enhancers and he works on his game between games an incredible amount.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's an ARod thread without his Number 1 fan?

And I have to say, I think you maybe 1 of 5 Yankee fans who actually believe that ARod deserved the MVP award over Big Papi.

There is perception and there is reality with ARod. The ARod haters have been fueled this season by his failures, which overshadows his success in the past, but this success has been limited. Again, the ARod fans mention the Minnesota series as some sort of HOF achievement for him although ARod had comperable stats to other players on the team in that series. For Yankee fans, that's it along with a paper MVP award. The rest of the time we remember the failure.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC

And I have to say, I think you maybe 1 of 5 Yankee fans who actually believe that ARod deserved the MVP award over Big Papi.
    Add me to that list.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan

He's a great, great player and he plays the game as hard as anyone. He doesn't use performance enhancers and he works on his game between games an incredible amount.
    How can you possibly know that he doesn't use performance enhancers? Because he said so?

Unfortunately, in today's day and age, no one is above suspicion --and that includes A-Rod, Jeter, Beltran, Pujols --anyone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    How can you possibly know that he doesn't use performance enhancers? Because he said so?

Unfortunately, in today's day and age, no one is above suspicion --and that includes A-Rod, Jeter, Beltran, Pujols --anyone.
    Fair enough. (I don't think he's ever said he has or hasn't because he's never been in question). But, if I was a betting man, and I am, I'd give anyone 10 to 1 odds that he doesn't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC

There is perception and there is reality with ARod. The ARod haters have been fueled this season by his failures, which overshadows his success in the past, but this success has been limited. Again, the ARod fans mention the Minnesota series as some sort of HOF achievement for him although ARod had comperable stats to other players on the team in that series. For Yankee fans, that's it along with a paper MVP award. The rest of the time we remember the failure.
    I hate being A-Rod's "Number 1 fan." I really do. The reason? I'm not. He's honestly probably not one of my 10 favorite Yankee players. (Lets see here: Posada, Mo, Jeter, Wang, Melky, Cano, Bernie, and Moose all are before him. So he's my 9th favorite). I honestly am just a guy that thinks A-Rod gets a bad wrap. When he succeeds, nobody talks about it. When he fails, it's front page news and is discussed at length. Since he plays baseball, he fails more than he succeeds and I find it annoying, for lack of a better word, that his success is overlooked - and there has been plenty of it with the Yankees.

You kind of just were hypocritical with that last point. The A-Rod hater says that all A-Rod has are his stats, but they are largely built when it doesn't matter. Then you, as someone that obviously is no A-Rod fan, stated that his stats in that series were comparable to other Yankees - which is true. But, what made that series so great for him, is all of his hits were in big spots. Fact is, we probably lose that series if it weren't for him and his performance in game 2. He's been terrible in his next 2 playoff series (well, the last 4 games of Boston and the series vs. the Angels), but why is he the only one that gets blamed there? Every player has bad playoff series' and I'd bet the house that his next one will be very good.

All I try to do is lay out the facts. By the way, he definitely deserved the MVP last year. He had more win shares and a better VORP - the two best stats to determine who should win the MVP, than any other player in the AL. He had big hits and he came through in the clutch time and time again.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough. (I don't think he's ever said he has or hasn't because he's never been in question). But, if I was a betting man, and I am, I'd give anyone 10 to 1 odds that he doesn't.
    Id gladly take that bet but we have no way of ever proving it.

Would you give the same odds that he hasn't ever?

Btw, I don't suspect A-Rod any more than anyone else, but IMHO, most stars in the game were juicing at one point or another.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll take him off your hands for nothing.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate being A-Rod's "Number 1 fan." I really do. The reason? I'm not. He's honestly probably not one of my 10 favorite Yankee players. (Lets see here: Posada, Mo, Jeter, Wang, Melky, Cano, Bernie, and Moose all are before him. So he's my 9th favorite). I honestly am just a guy that thinks A-Rod gets a bad wrap. When he succeeds, nobody talks about it. When he fails, it's front page news and is discussed at length. Since he plays baseball, he fails more than he succeeds and I find it annoying, for lack of a better word, that his success is overlooked - and there has been plenty of it with the Yankees.

You kind of just were hypocritical with that last point. The A-Rod hater says that all A-Rod has are his stats, but they are largely built when it doesn't matter. Then you, as someone that obviously is no A-Rod fan, stated that his stats in that series were comparable to other Yankees - which is true. But, what made that series so great for him, is all of his hits were in big spots. Fact is, we probably lose that series if it weren't for him and his performance in game 2. He's been terrible in his next 2 playoff series (well, the last 4 games of Boston and the series vs. the Angels), but why is he the only one that gets blamed there? Every player has bad playoff series' and I'd bet the house that his next one will be very good.

All I try to do is lay out the facts. By the way, he definitely deserved the MVP last year. He had more win shares and a better VORP - the two best stats to determine who should win the MVP, than any other player in the AL. He had big hits and he came through in the clutch time and time again.
    Yeah, you're not ARod's Number 1 Fan, but you defend him in every thread.

Just a couple of things here ... on the Minnesota series, are you serious? The biggest hit in that whole series was by Ruben Sierra. Again, he had only THREE RBI the entire series and Jeter and Sheff also hit homers in the "pivotal" game 2. Why do you insist on making things up?

I'm not being hypocritical. I'm just pointing out the ARod Hater's argument. He is known as a stat compiler who crumbles in crutch situations. Like I said, there is, at times, perception which is different from reality when it comes to ARod. But this year, the perception is pretty close when we're talking about a HEART OF YOUR LINE UP GUY who should be in the same category as Ortiz, Ramirez and Pujols in driving in runs, but is second worst hitter with men on 3rd with less than 2 outs and is batting .215 in close and late situations. Plus, there was a recent stat that nearly half of his homers are hit when the Yanks are either down or up by 4 or more runs.

Seriously, in a late game situation or a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs, do you have any confidence that ARod would get the job done? When you get a chance, just listen to the radio broadcast of the game. Georgie Girl and Sterling are speachless when it comes to ARod's failures in the clutch. She actually said it in the last game when he hit into another killer DP that "I don't know what to say, it's amazing" meaing, amazing how bad he is in these situations. Plus, he's been absolutely dreadful defensively.

On the "win shares" and VORP, what are you Bill James? Both are highly flawed analytical tool based on pull-it-out of your ass assumptions than anything else.

In the end, I damn well hope his next postseason series is very good because the Yanks need it. We're still waiting for him to carry the Yanks in a series. And please stop making stuff up about the Twins series. Here's a link for you to check for yourself:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/po...04_ALDS2.shtml
    Last edited by SMC; 08-21-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffboy

But I have had enough.

He's terrible he should get 5 hits every 10 at bats

Relax you just sweeped the sox

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not that he's "just not getting it done in big spots," it's that he's having a subpar season this year in all spots. It happens to every single player. He was the deserved MVP last year and did get it done in big spots, and this year he's just not hitting.
    he has been having terrible at bats in crucial situations..nobody is asking him to hit a homerun every at bat..almost every time he comes up with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs..he cant even hit a flyball!!!or a ground ball to get the run home..or get the runner over to 3rd from 2nd with no outs..it has been a joke every year with him..those are called professional-situational at bats..and he sucks at it..period!!!yes..he is a great player..yes he is a great hitter..but..I guess it's asking too much for him to sacrifice himself for the team..he is always trying to swing for the fences with runners on when the yanks only need a base hit!!!and he killed another rally today!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    he has been having terrible at bats in crucial situations..nobody is asking him to hit a homerun every at bat..almost every time he comes up with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs..he cant even hit a flyball!!!or a ground ball to get the run home..or get the runner over to 3rd from 2nd with no outs..it has been a joke every year with him..those are called professional-situational at bats..and he sucks at it..period!!!yes..he is a great player..yes he is a great hitter..but..I guess it's asking too much for him to sacrifice himself for the team..he is always trying to swing for the fences with runners on when the yanks only need a base hit!!!and he killed another rally today!!!
    This is one point that I'm going to completely disagree with. His numbers in those situations prior to this year are quite good. People seem to forget all the big hits and game saving plays he had last year. Plus you have to remember that the best hitters in those situations fail 7 out of 10 times. It's just that Arod's 7 are much more magnified than every other player. This year is a different story. Arod has been terrible and you're clearly seeing the pressure get to him. The fielding is horrendous. It's been sad to watch. Hopefully he can get over this and play up to the level we all know he can.

P.S. The point about the DP he grounded into today is exactly what I'm talking about. He hits the ball hard, results in a DP and he gets flamed. Of course everyone fails to mention his base hit with 2 outs and Abreu in scoring position which kept a rally alive (Cano would pop out during the next AB).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jvill 51
    This is one point that I'm going to completely disagree with. His numbers in those situations prior to this year are quite good. People seem to forget all the big hits and game saving plays he had last year. Plus you have to remember that the best hitters in those situations fail 7 out of 10 times. It's just that Arod's 7 are much more magnified than every other player. This year is a different story. Arod has been terrible and you're clearly seeing the pressure get to him. The fielding is horrendous. It's been sad to watch. Hopefully he can get over this and play up to the level we all know he can.

P.S. The point about the DP he grounded into today is exactly what I'm talking about. He hits the ball hard, results in a DP and he gets flamed. Of course everyone fails to mention his base hit with 2 outs and Abreu in scoring position which kept a rally alive (Cano would pop out during the next AB).
    he does not have too many productive outs..that is why he gets flamed for yesterday's double play..all I am asking for is a productive out every now and then..and professional at bats in certain situations..and he must become a better situational hitter if he does not want to be criticized in new york..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jvill 51
    Everyone fails to mention that hit because it didn't drive in the run. Yankee fans can only hope that he gets a weak single in those spots. Is it too much to ask for ARod to, you know, DRIVE THE BALL. ARod's job is not to hit homers, it is to drive in runs. That's what middle of the lineup guys are suppose to do on the Yankees. He has left a ton of RBIs on the basepaths this season. If he got the ball in the air in left with the Green Monster, that run scores.

Getting a single to left field in Fenway will never get the job done with a man on 2nd because of the left fielder playing shallow with the Green Monster. That's the thing, ARod's average with men in scoring position goes up because of the hit but it didn't drive in the run, so it's meaningless.

Further, I've listened to or seen about 90 to 95% of ARod's at-bats this season and one of the troubling things for me besides his failure to drive the ball in big spots is get a good swing on the ball when he is ahead of the count with men in scoring position. That demonstrates that it's mental for him. He'll be 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 in those spots and either hit into a double play, pop up or swing right through the pitch would eventually lead to him having 2 strikes which is deadly (he's hitting only .184 with 2 strikes this season).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

ARod Has Failed to have Productive Outs in the Past With the Yanks...

Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    he does not have too many productive outs..that is why he gets flamed for yesterday's double play..all I am asking for is a productive out every now and then..and professional at bats in certain situations..and he must become a better situational hitter if he does not want to be criticized in new york..
    It is important that you bring this up because this is not a 1 year occurrence for ARod.

His failure to make a productive out was pivotal in the 2004 ALCS against the Sox. It's game 5 and the Yanks are up 4-2 in the top of the 8th. Cairo leads off with a double and Jeter sacrifices him over to third. Less than 2 outs, man on 3rd with the potential 5th run and a 3 run lead. What does ARod do? He strikes out. That is huge. Get the ball in the air or hit a grounder. No, ARod strikes out. Boston ties the score in the 8th and wins it in the 14th.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Id gladly take that bet but we have no way of ever proving it.

Would you give the same odds that he hasn't ever?

Btw, I don't suspect A-Rod any more than anyone else, but IMHO, most stars in the game were juicing at one point or another.
    I don't know if I'd give the same odds that he never tried the stuff (I also agree that I think the majority of players at least gave it a try). But, I would bet he never done it for a long period of time. The reasons? When he was originally drafted, this is the type of player he was projected to be. He is not a guy that came out of nowhere like many other big time players have. His body has grown the way one would expect it to. He has not broken down with injuries as steroid users often do. His power has been similar from a year to year basis.