Thread: Beltran and Arod.

Beltran and Arod.

i was thinking about this yesterday.......

the yankees wanted beltran leading up to his FA year....then when he hit the market they capped themselfs and didnt want to pay him...or actualy wanted him to come to the yankees on a discountof sorts....then they go and spend all that money on Arod...which i thought blew the beltran signing out of the water. But now beltran seems like someone the yankee fans would take to much more then Arod...he seems to get alot of big hits/walks/HRs.

funny how things work out.

Beltran should be the NL MVP.

How much did Beltran sign for?

Texas is paying a lot of Arod's salary. I think the Yankees are paying something like $15M out of the $25M, but that's off the top of my head, I'm just guessing...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Oh, What A Night!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow
    How much did Beltran sign for?

Texas is paying a lot of Arod's salary. I think the Yankees are paying something like $15M out of the $25M, but that's off the top of my head, I'm just guessing...
    You are correct.

I just found this article http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1963185
    Beltran got $119M over 7 years, or $17M/year.

You see? ARod is a bargain!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Beltran offered to come to the Yankees at discount. Yanks said no. He settled on the mets. I am a Yankee fan and am quite satisfied with my team. I am not going to crucify Arod over one 5 month stretch. His entire career speaks for him. He is far from done.

i always thought the yankees are paying all of arods salary.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    Oh, What A Night!

Indeed. I was at Shea last night....when we were down 7-1, I turned to my buddy and said "Any other Mets team, we might as well go home right now. This team still has a good shot of winning the game."

Everyone knew the Mets were coming back. Just like everyone knew that if we didn't walk Pujols, he was going yard (and again when Maine walked the bases loaded).

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by emslave
    Then you've always been wrong.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow
    I just found this article http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1963185
    Beltran got $119M over 7 years, or $17M/year.

You see? ARod is a bargain!
    Wow, I never realized how much Carlos really makes. Whatever though, he's worth it.

All Pro
    I'm glad Beltran is having the year he is.

Last year he was crucified for not playing up to expectations. Great to see he finally calmed down and adjusted.

He's definitely worth that contract.

Hall Of Fame
    i was thinking about this yesterday.......

the yankees wanted beltran leading up to his FA year....then when he hit the market they capped themselfs and didnt want to pay him...or actualy wanted him to come to the yankees on a discountof sorts....then they go and spend all that money on Arod...which i thought blew the beltran signing out of the water.
    I think your timeline is out of sorts.

Arod was on the Yankees already when Beltran became a free agent.

PS: I think CB will be NL MVP..deservedly.

OK, I looked it up. From here:
    Texas will pay $67 million of the $179 million left on Rodriguez's $252 million, 10-year contract... The Yankees will owe him $112 million over seven years.
    So that comes out to exactly $16M / season that the Yankees are paying him.

Umm, Beltran and A-Rod had nothing to do with each other. The Yankees adding about $5 million to their payroll by trading Sori for A-Rod had no affect on getting Beltran.

The fact is that it was between RJ and Beltran. Idiotically, we chose RJ...

sorry guys my timelines were off.....but i cant fault the yankees for going for RJ he was comming off that amazing year...i think like 12-3 or something with a 2 point something era.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Umm, Beltran and A-Rod had nothing to do with each other. The Yankees adding about $5 million to their payroll by trading Sori for A-Rod had no affect on getting Beltran.

The fact is that it was between RJ and Beltran. Idiotically, we chose RJ...
    Wasn't Carl Pavano the Yanks big acquisition that off season (2004/2005)?

I remember talking with my buddy at work and distinctly recall him saying "I will be really pissed if the Yanks go after another bat like Beltran. We need more young, quality arms....like Pavano."

That move didn't work out too well either.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Wasn't Carl Pavano the Yanks big acquisition that off season (2004/2005)?

I remember talking with my buddy at work and distinctly recall him saying "I will be really pissed if the Yanks go after another bat like Beltran. We need more young, quality arms....like Pavano."

That move didn't work out too well either.
    No it did not and yes he was.

By the way, it was that kind of thinking that infuriated me during that offseason. People didn't realize that Beltran in CF instead of Bernie would have helped the pitching staff more than any single pitcher, including RJ even if he was what he was in 2004, would have because of the difference in their defenses. I couldn't believe people didn't realize this...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    No it did not and yes he was.

By the way, it was that kind of thinking that infuriated me during that offseason. People didn't realize that Beltran in CF instead of Bernie would have helped the pitching staff more than any single pitcher, including RJ even if he was what he was in 2004, would have because of the difference in their defenses. I couldn't believe people didn't realize this...
    Damn Yankee fans: