Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Mussina placed on 15 day DL

  1. #1

    Unhappy Mussina placed on 15 day DL

    SEATTLE -- The Yankees placed Mike Mussina on the 15-day disabled list with a groin injury on Wednesday, recalling right-hander Brian Bruney from Triple-A Columbus to bolster the bullpen.
    Mussina left Sunday night's game against the Red Sox after four innings with tightness in his right groin, the second time this season he has been forced to leave a game because of a groin problem. He also left his June 30 start against the Mets with the same injury, though he made his next scheduled start five days later.

    The Yankees planned to skip Mussina for one turn through the rotation, putting him on track to pitch next Thursday against Detroit. By being placed on the DL, Mussina won't be eligible to return until Tuesday, Sept. 5, when the Yankees play in Kansas City.

    Bruney appeared in two games for New York last week, throwing a scoreless inning against the Orioles on Thursday and 1 2/3 scoreless frames in the second game of Friday's doubleheader against the Red Sox.

    Jeff Karstens, who made his big-league debut on Tuesday night in Seattle, will get another start on Sunday in Anaheim. He will likely remain in the rotation until Mussina returns to action.

    The Yankees also announced that Sidney Ponson, who was designated for assignment on Saturday, has cleared waivers and was released, making him a free agent.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    §omewhere ¯§afe®©¯™
    Posts
    11,171
    Quote Originally Posted by kleckorules#73
    SEATTLE -- The Yankees placed Mike Mussina on the 15-day disabled list with a groin injury on Wednesday, recalling right-hander Brian Bruney from Triple-A Columbus to bolster the bullpen.
    Mussina left Sunday night's game against the Red Sox after four innings with tightness in his right groin, the second time this season he has been forced to leave a game because of a groin problem. He also left his June 30 start against the Mets with the same injury, though he made his next scheduled start five days later.

    The Yankees planned to skip Mussina for one turn through the rotation, putting him on track to pitch next Thursday against Detroit. By being placed on the DL, Mussina won't be eligible to return until Tuesday, Sept. 5, when the Yankees play in Kansas City.

    Bruney appeared in two games for New York last week, throwing a scoreless inning against the Orioles on Thursday and 1 2/3 scoreless frames in the second game of Friday's doubleheader against the Red Sox.

    Jeff Karstens, who made his big-league debut on Tuesday night in Seattle, will get another start on Sunday in Anaheim. He will likely remain in the rotation until Mussina returns to action.

    The Yankees also announced that Sidney Ponson, who was designated for assignment on Saturday, has cleared waivers and was released, making him a free agent.

    mussina is better rested..but this pisses me off even more that they let chacon go..he needed to pitch to be effective(chacon)and now he's gone..and it seems the yanks just gave up on him..dumb move!!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    mussina is better rested..but this pisses me off even more that they let chacon go..he needed to pitch to be effective(chacon)and now he's gone..and it seems the yanks just gave up on him..dumb move!!

    I'm not so sure Bill, I think Chacon for Wilson was a great move. Wilson's defense on first is way better than Giambi's, and his bat is an improvement over Andy Philips's.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,850
    I think he's getting the Pedro treatment. While 6.5 games isn't a lock, it's a pretty sizeable lead... They can afford to miss 2 of his starts to give him extra rest.... If we were tied with Boston, Moose wouldn't see the DL.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    mussina is better rested..but this pisses me off even more that they let chacon go..he needed to pitch to be effective(chacon)and now he's gone..and it seems the yanks just gave up on him..dumb move!!
    Wait, letting Sidney Ponson go angers you??? And trading Chacon angers you too?

    OK, lets get to the first guy - Ponson. He's not any good. He had an ERA of 5.24 this year in the NL. He doesn't have overpowering stuff... He is only going to be a long reliever on this team and those guys are a dime a dozen - especially ones that are not good pitchers.

    As for Chacon - he sucks. Period. The writing was on the wall last year when his K/BB, K/9, and G/F were all terrible. He might have been the easiest pitcher in baseball to predict he would be terrible this year. I was hopeful at the beginning of the season, but his struggles came as no surprise. To get a valuable, versatile player like Craig Wilson was an absolute steal.

    As for Mussina, this is what we are able to do with a 7 game lead in the loss column. Get him more rest and be able to call up another pitcher so that hopefully Villone and Proctor's arms stay attached to their body.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    5,998
    Eh, you guys don't have to worry about that.

    Give him some rest, and he'll come back better.

  7. #7
    there were definitely comments from moose saying they are just being precautionary due to the fact that they have a decent lead and he was gonna miss one start min. and basically he wouldn't pitch for 12 days then...so why not just go on the 15 day DL? so yea...

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    §omewhere ¯§afe®©¯™
    Posts
    11,171
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    And trading Chacon angers you too?



    As for Chacon - he sucks. Period. The writing was on the wall last year when his K/BB, K/9, and G/F were all terrible. He might have been the easiest pitcher in baseball to predict he would be terrible this year. I was hopeful at the beginning of the season, but his struggles came as no surprise. To get a valuable, versatile player like Craig Wilson was an absolute steal.

    As for Mussina, this is what we are able to do with a 7 game lead in the loss column. Get him more rest and be able to call up another pitcher so that hopefully Villone and Proctor's arms stay attached to their body.
    well..I disagree about chacon..he never got a chance to pitch in the rotation,a start here..a start there.what he needed was more innings and more starts..he had no control and a lack of command because of not giving him enough work..he had great control last year when used regularly..

    why did chacon's problems come at no surprise to you??

    I agree with everything else though..ponson sucks..and mussina could use the rest..

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    well..I disagree about chacon..he never got a chance to pitch in the rotation,a start here..a start there.what he needed was more innings and more starts..he had no control and a lack of command because of not giving him enough work..he had great control last year when used regularly..

    why did chacon's problems come at no surprise to you??
    He was used regularly at times and he was still horrible.

    The reason his problems came as no surprise is because last year his peripherals were not any good. His K/9 was only 4.69 and his K/BB was only 1.20. His control actually wasn't that good with 30 walks in 79 innings. For a pitcher to have success with the lack of K's and that many walks, he has to be a groundball machine, and Chacon is far from that. He was an extreme fly ball pitcher with a .68 G/F ratio.

    Those 3 numbers show that he's going to give up hits, walk too many, and give up a lot of HR's without getting many DP's. Just a bad combination. And so far in the NL in Pittsburgh, he has had 3 starts (I believe on regular rest), and sports a 6.94 ERA.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us