Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Topic: Reyes vs. Jeter

Veteran

Off Topic: Reyes vs. Jeter

First let me start out by saying I am a die hard Yankee fan that goes back to when they played at Shea and Bobby Bonds was in centerfield (early to mid seventies). Jeter will be a first ballot hall of famer IMHO and is one of my all time favorite players; Yankees or otherwise.

He is a winner and leader and has been consistent year in year out. He has been the MVP of the Yanks this year and should win another Gold Glove this year.

Having stated all of that, Reyes has got to be the most exciting player in baseball and is on his way to being a DOMINANT player in baseball for years to come.

He is one of those players that when he comes to the plate you stop what you are doing and watch. He is only 23 years old and his upside is scary.

Met fans should be estatic to have player like Reyes. In two years he will be the best all around player in baseball, if he isn't already.

Reyes SHOULD, but won't win MVP of the NL (If not win, at least be in the top 5 in the voting). Check out some of the numbers he is on pace for.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BA OBP SLG
    156 670 132 197 30 20 20 85 68 .294 .350 .485

I wouldn't compare him to Jeter though. He is a much different player than Jeter.
    Last edited by IM3; 08-24-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    A year ago this comparison was not possible. It goes to show you how much he's developed this season.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Maybe the torch in NY will be passed? I've always liked Jeter, he's always been a class act and a great role model. Reyes could slip into that role.

he's definitely a very good player. best "all-around" in two years? maybe. he is definitely a catalyst. he's done a great job of getting on base more often, and he has increased his power numbers. his speen on the basebaths is def. exciting to watch. i could see him one day having seasons where he is close to 100 steals and around 20 or so HR. 70-80 rbi's.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Reyes SHOULD, but won't win MVP of the NL (If not win, at least be in the top 5 in the voting). Check out some of the numbers he is on pace for.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BA OBP SLG
    156 670 132 197 30 20 20 85 68 .294 .350 .485

I wouldn't compare him to Jeter though. He is a much different player than Jeter.
    The labels and the numbers don't line up. He's got 52 stolen bases for example.

Jets Insider VIP
    As a Yankee fan, why in the hell are you starting such a thread even mentioning Reyes in the same breath as future first ballot HOF Derek Sanderson Jeter. Seriously, are you channeling Jermaine?

Reyes is a good player who lacks, oh the 2000+ hits, the 4 world series rings, WS MVP, All Star MVP, rookie of the year, etc.

Potential is just that, potential. Darryl Strawberry was a HOF in the making and how did that end up? Talk to me in 10 to 12 years when Reyes is in his mid 30s and Jeter is getting ready for his HOF induction ceremony.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet
    Maybe the torch in NY will be passed? I've always liked Jeter, he's always been a class act and a great role model. Reyes could slip into that role.
    It would be nice if Reyes won a couple of rings, you know?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    The labels and the numbers don't line up. He's got 52 stolen bases for example.
    On pace for those #s.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jet Black]First let me start out by saying I am a die hard Yankee fan that goes back to when they played at Shea and Bobby Bonds was in centerfield (early to mid seventies). Jeter will be a first ballot hall of famer IMHO and is one of my all time favorite players; Yankees or otherwise.QUOTE]

when did the Yankees play at Shea with Bonds?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Guck the Fiants]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    First let me start out by saying I am a die hard Yankee fan that goes back to when they played at Shea and Bobby Bonds was in centerfield (early to mid seventies). Jeter will be a first ballot hall of famer IMHO and is one of my all time favorite players; Yankees or otherwise.QUOTE]

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    It would be nice if Reyes won a couple of rings, you know?
    Yes it would! And that's what he's trying to do!

Don't hate..........appreciate!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3

thanks...I was 4 years old, and did not know that.

you learn something every day.

thanks to you too CT

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Guck the Fiants
    thanks...I was 4 years old, and did not know that.

you learn something every day.

thanks to you too CT
    Your welcome

they played there in 1974 and 1975 while The Stadium was being rebuilt.

Murcer HATED it..hit everything to the warning track.

They traded him to SF straight up for Bonds prior to 1975.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CT. JETS FAN
    Your welcome

good stuff. thanks again.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    As a Yankee fan, why in the hell are you starting such a thread even mentioning Reyes in the same breath as future first ballot HOF Derek Sanderson Jeter. Seriously, are you channeling Jermaine?

Reyes is a good player who lacks, oh the 2000+ hits, the 4 world series rings, WS MVP, All Star MVP, rookie of the year, etc.

Potential is just that, potential. Darryl Strawberry was a HOF in the making and how did that end up? Talk to me in 10 to 12 years when Reyes is in his mid 30s and Jeter is getting ready for his HOF induction ceremony.
    A little sensitive aren't we? Makes me think you may have been one of the members of the mob that got Jermaine banned.

Was at the game last night. Great game first time I've seen Pujols in action. Too many cardinals fans...most were Pujols fans.

Reyes is definetly a catalyst and has shown a lot more pop this year. What i like is he's starting to take more pitches and draw more walks.

Damn we give steve trash a lot of run support. 13-5 with a era of 5.00

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by CT. JETS FAN
    Your welcome

Made me very depressed. I really liked Bobby Murcer. I even tried batting left to emulate him.

Rookie
    when did the Yankees play at Shea with Bonds?[/QUOTE]

In 1975 the Mets, Jets, Yankees and Giants all played home games at Shea....