Thread: Mets Option Milidge to Tidewater

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Mets Option Milidge to Tidewater

To make room for Bannister and they signed Kelly Stinnet...As per SNY

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Good move on Stinnet. Castro won't be ready for quite some time.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    y'think milledge will be traded by next season? i personally don't see him as being as good as we was hyped to be. maybe i'm wrong, and maybe he will get better. but his fielding just isn't good at all so far. i can understand needing some adjustment time at the plate. but his fielding i expected to be much better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    Good move on Stinnet. Castro won't be ready for quite some time.
    Just don't expect much, if anything, as far as offense goes with Stinnet. He's not bad defensively though, and he calls a good game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    To make room for Bannister and they signed Kelly Stinnet...As per SNY
    I don't know who's worst....Stinnett or DiFelice. They both stink like yesterday's diapers.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    yikes, good luck with stinnett

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Milledge needs time in the minors to develop anyway.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    Milledge needs time in the minors to develop anyway.

i say we trade him this offseason before his value goes way down. idk why, but i have no faith in him becoming a player in the caliber of reyes or wright. maybe it's because he has shown almost nothing so far as a major league ballplayer.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless someone goes on the DL, this effectively means that Milledge will not be on the playoff roster.

He probably shouldn't be anyway, but we could have kept our options open by DL'ing Glavine or El Duque --a tired arm is a baseball injury, right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    absolutely should have traded milledge for zito. i know the deal wasn't really availabe at the deadline, but Minaya shoulda made it happen. The mets rotation is absolutely NOT built for the post season. zito woulda been a better 3rd starter than any other NL team's, plus he would be coming from the AL...hence his transition to AAAA (i mean NL cough cough) would not have been a difficult one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    i say we trade him this offseason before his value goes way down. idk why, but i have no faith in him becoming a player in the caliber of reyes or wright. maybe it's because he has shown almost nothing so far as a major league ballplayer.
    He's barely played in the majors - to expect every prospect, or even one prospect, to be Reyes or Wright caliber is unrealistic. Most 21 yr old players have growing pains when the hit the majors. To burst onto the scene is the exception, and not the norm. As Mets fans, we should stop and realize how lucky we've been to witness Reyes and Wright. And even Reyes had some growing pains at first.

If Milledge isn't that caliber, that doesn't mean he won't be a good RFer

Let the kid play every day in LF in Norfolk, bring him up when rosters expand, and then pencil him in as your LFer for 2007. Green is set in RF for 2007. If all goes well, pencil Carlos Gomez in for RF in 2008 Ok, maybe that last part is unrealistic.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubby Brister
    absolutely should have traded milledge for zito. i know the deal wasn't really availabe at the deadline, but Minaya shoulda made it happen. The mets rotation is absolutely NOT built for the post season. zito woulda been a better 3rd starter than any other NL team's, plus he would be coming from the AL...hence his transition to AAAA (i mean NL cough cough) would not have been a difficult one.
    I agree 100%. The Mets will be hard pressed to beat any Anerican League team if we get that far.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So lets trade him like we traded Kazmir. Give the kid a break. He's only 21. Let him develop in the minors and he could be one of those once in a lifetime players, or we could trade him and Zito is the next zambrano. I look at the good young talent on this team and i see great things in the future. we have some really good young pitchers who look like they will be the future of the team such as pelfry, bannister, humber. Without the injuries to floyd and nady, he never would hav eeven come up. Give him a year or two and let him come up as a more mature and better developed player.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing about Stinnett is he is really bad. He can't hit and he can't throw anyone out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zito is an FA this fall anyway.

Patience my friends....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet
    He's barely played in the majors - to expect every prospect, or even one prospect, to be Reyes or Wright caliber is unrealistic. Most 21 yr old players have growing pains when the hit the majors. To burst onto the scene is the exception, and not the norm. As Mets fans, we should stop and realize how lucky we've been to witness Reyes and Wright. And even Reyes had some growing pains at first.

If Milledge isn't that caliber, that doesn't mean he won't be a good RFer

Let the kid play every day in LF in Norfolk, bring him up when rosters expand, and then pencil him in as your LFer for 2007. Green is set in RF for 2007. If all goes well, pencil Carlos Gomez in for RF in 2008 Ok, maybe that last part is unrealistic.

it's not that i expect him to be the same caliber as wright or reyes. but at least show some flashes of what you can do. maybe you're right and maybe i've been spoiled by what i've seen fro wright and reyes. but it just looks to me like milledge is almost consistently lost in the big leagues. maybe he is letting it get to his head, and this is what is causing the him to take it to his defensive game as well. i don't know. but i do know that ny is a town where mentally weaker players will flounder badly if they can't keep it together. it's is happening to gay-rod and he is one of the best players in the league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    How many do you get to add on 9/1? I wouldn't be upset if they didn't call him up right away. He needs some AB's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rosters expand to 40, I believe, on 9/1. Im sure he's back up when the Norfolk season is over.

I don't think its fair to say Milledge hasn't shown flashes. He's had games, especially after the second call-up, where he's looked great with the bat. He's had much fewer flashes defensively, but lets remember, this is a kid who played CF his whole life pretty much exclusively, including a good part of the minors. And then he gets thrown into LF in Fenway. There's going to be an adjustment period to the majors. Lets remember, the guy has only appeared in what, 40 games for the Mets? Something like 130 at bats. He's had 3-3 games, 2-3 games, games where he looks like he gets it, and then games where he looks lost. Sounds pretty normal for a kid who's only played a quarter of a full major league season.

Milledge is a great example of why I HOPE the Mets get guys like Gomez experience in the corners now since CF is effectively blocked for another 5+ years by Mr. MVP. At least then when they come up, it should ease the transition.

Having a guy like Milledge, even if he's not a superstar, allows the Mets to spend money NOT on a guy like Carlos Lee for LF, but on free agent pitching. That's the reason I've been in favor of keeping him. Im not expecting a superstar; I'm expecting an above-average, speedy, shows some pop LFer that comes cheap for the next few years in Milledge, and that allows the team to spend money elsewhere next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolGreen222
    Zito is an FA this fall anyway.

Patience my friends....
    Amen to that. And if Milledge works out in LF for 2007, you can more than afford Zito and have them both.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stinnett blows. He can't hit worth a ****.