Thread: yeah these people are ready for democracy

JetsInsider.com Legend

yeah these people are ready for democracy

A Flick of a Lighter Kills Scores of Gas-Looting Iraqis
    By PAUL von ZIELBAUER

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Aug. 29 At least 67 people, including dozens of looters siphoning gasoline from a government pipeline, were killed in an explosion late Monday night after fuel vapor was accidentally ignited by a cigarette lighter, the Iraqi police and government officials said.

The death toll from the blast in Diwaniya might increase, said Hamid al-Shuwaili, the health director for Qadisiya Province, south of Baghdad.
    As of late Tuesday night, more than 100 people had been killed or found dead in the previous 24 hours, government officials said. In Baghdad, more than two dozen bodies were found, one Iraqi official said; about half of the victims had been bound and killed after apparently having been tortured.
    The pipeline explosion appeared to be a result of what one official in Diwaniya called a power vacuum created by a battle there on Monday between the Iraqi Army and heavily armed members of the Mahdi Army, a militia controlled by the radical anti-American cleric Moktada al-Sadr.
    That battle, which killed at least 20 soldiers and militiamen and 8 civilians, drew away policemen guarding the pipeline that runs through parts of Diwaniya, said First Lt. Qaisar Rasheed of the Diwaniya police. Residents then flocked to the pipeline to illegally tap the gasoline.
    Despite Iraqs huge oil reserves, corruption, mismanagement and the lack of security have created a severe gasoline shortage that has sent prices to $3.20 per gallon and forced drivers to wait in gasoline lines for as long as 24 hours.
    Lieutenant Rasheed said dozens of Diwaniya residents punctured the pipeline on Monday night.
    They were filling their jerrycans until one of the looters lit a lighter to smoke his cigarette, and that resulted in the explosion, he said.
    Dr. Hussain al-Janabi, director of Diwaniya hospital, said several bodies had arrived charred or burned beyond recognition. He said by telephone that witnesses had said that the spark that ignited the blast came from a man who used a lighter to check if his can was full.
    these are the people American soldiers are dying to give a better way of life???

Hall Of Fame
    Checking to see if your gas can is full with a lighter isn't stupidity...its natural selection.

Hall Of Fame
    If the Founding Fathers and all the colonists who died in the Revolution knew how this country would one day be undermined by liberals, would they have done what they did? I'm not so sure.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum
    If the Founding Fathers and all the colonists who died in the Revolution knew how this country would one day be undermined by liberals, would they have done what they did? I'm not so sure.
    pray tell how can a country be undermined by a segment of the population that has no actual power

this is just woe is me cry baby BS from a right winger who is scared of the November elections

make no mistake you have it all - White House, Supreme Court and both Houses of Congress

if anyone is undermining this country - by default it is the conservatives because they are the only ones who have any affect on the current government.

oh and one more thing im sure the founding fathers would be thrilled to know that not only are Americans dying to help Iraqis who don't want the help (persians is how the fathers would know them in the late 18th century) but also we as a nation have been going to war without formal declarations from congress for the last 50 plus years! Yeah im sure they would be thrilled to hear how we exploit consitutional loopholes for politcal agendas.
    Last edited by bitonti; 08-30-2006 at 01:49 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    pray tell how can a country be undermined by a segment of the population that has no actual power
    Ideas are power; information is power; and both are controlled by the media, and we all know what the deal is there.

this is just woe is me cry baby BS from a right winger who is scared of the November elections
    Hardly. I don't believe the House will change hands and even if it does, it won't be a big deal because it won't be to the losers in Moveon.

make no mistake you have it all - White House, Supreme Court and both Houses of Congress
    Blather on, McDuff.

if anyone is undermining this country - by default it is the conservatives because they are the only ones who have any affect on the current government.
    Conservatives are trying to SAVE the country; libs don't have the stomach or the testicles to do so.

oh and one more thing im sure the founding fathers would be thrilled to know that not only are Americans dying to help Iraqis who don't want the help (persians is how the fathers would know them in the late 18th century) but also we as a nation have been going to war without formal declarations from congress for the last 50 plus years! Yeah im sure they would be thrilled to hear how we exploit consitutional loopholes for politcal agendas.
    Oh yeah - especially since they knew they were commiting treason against the Crown. And they wouldn't understand helping another country since, in all probability, we would still be a colony without France's help. Read a history book.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Ideas are power; information is power; and both are controlled by the media, and we all know what the deal is there.
    Yeah last time i checked homeboy Fox news was the Number one cable news station and Rush's & Hannity's shows were number 1 and number 2 AM syndicated programs - when people say that liberals control the media that's a joke. They control the loser part of the media maybe.

Hardly. I don't believe the House will change hands and even if it does, it won't be a big deal because it won't be to the losers in Moveon.
    we'll see

Conservatives are trying to SAVE the country; libs don't have the stomach or the testicles to do so.
    Save the country by invading the wrong countries for no reason - gee thanks

Oh yeah - especially since they knew they were commiting treason against the Crown. And they wouldn't understand helping another country since, in all probability, we would still be a colony without France's help. Read a history book.
    France helped us in part to spite Britain.

You are the one that needs to learn history. Winston Churchill abandoned Iraq because they were a bunch of ungovernable animals. George Bush's father didn't take Bagdahd because he knew it would be a s--tshow.

any war on a tactic is doomed to fail

Radical Islam doesn't have a plan to take over the world - they are not comparable to the Nazis. Iraq is not the next Poland.

Hall Of Fame

Radical Islam doesn't have a plan to take over the world - they are not comparable to the Nazis. Iraq is not the next Poland.

if only.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Iraq is not the next Poland.
    Well, when you've got people using lighters to see if their gas cans are full, I'd have to say I would tend to disagree with your point.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318
    Well, when you've got people using lighters to see if their gas cans are full, I'd have to say I would tend to disagree with your point.

ROTFLMAO! You do have a point, you do have a point

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318
    that's the funniest post i've read all year

touche Shake touche