Thread: Gallas threatened Chelsea he would score an own-goal

Gallas threatened Chelsea he would score an own-goal

this guy sounds like a pain in the ass:

Gallas threatened to score own goal, claim Chelsea
    COLIN STEWART

FORMER Chelsea defender William Gallas refused to play for the team and threatened to score an own goal if selected, the club claimed yesterday.

Gallas, who played for France in the World Cup final this summer, has since been sold to London rivals Arsenal in exchange for England left back Ashley Cole and 5 million.
    Click Here!

"Before the first game of the season against Manchester City, when only four defenders were available and John Terry was doubtful with an injury, he refused to play," said Chelsea in a statement. "He went on to threaten that if he was forced to play, or if he was disciplined and financially punished for his breach of the rules, that he could score an own goal or get himself sent off, or make deliberate mistakes."

The Premiership champions said Gallas, who joined the club in 2001 from Olympique Marseille, had also initially refused to play against Liverpool in last season's FA Cup semi-final. Chelsea said they had issued the statement because it was important for the fans to be made aware of the full facts.

"Despite leaving, he [Gallas] continues to attack [manager] Jose Mourinho and this cannot be left unchallenged," it added. "Chelsea made William Gallas a very substantial new contract offer to stay towards the end of last season. This was rejected.

"The issue was purely one of money, despite his public comments that he wanted a new challenge, to play abroad and so forth. These were just a smokescreen to cover up the fact he was hawking himself to the highest bidder. Having failed to secure his demands, his position became increasingly intransigent and unacceptable."

Gallas, who had asked to leave the club in May, was criticised by Mourinho when he failed to report for pre-season training on Chelsea's tour of the United States. The club

said Mourinho offered Gallas a way back into the "family" but, despite attempts to resolve the problems, the player made it clear he would never play for Chelsea again.

"Clearly this was a totally unacceptable situation for the manager, the team and the club. Chelsea's interests had to be protected and a solution was collectively agreed," added the statement.

Gallas was not immediately available for comment.

This article: http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1309412006

Last updated: 04-Sep-06 00:27 BST

Hall Of Fame
    I was reading that last night, the guy makes T.O. look like Jerry Rice.

Hall Of Fame
    i saw this too, and it doesnt bother me in the least...Chel$ki is an organization of scumbags attempting to level charges against one of its former players out of spite...they already got ****ley Cole, who went out and bashed Arsenal in his new book (in which he admits to secretly meeting with Chel$ki), so it isnt as though they were trading a headcase for a class act...Gallas wanted out, and he got out, and Mourinho doesnt even have a shred of class to just say "farewell and good luck" like Arsene Wenger did to Cole...

the real story here is Mourinho and Chel$ki throwing an integral part of their recent success under the bus because he got tired of their regime...

Hall Of Fame
    and here is Gallas' response to Chel$ki's charges against him...
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/sto...473537,00.html

Gallas hits back at Chelsea claims

William Gallas says Chelsea are 'hiding behind false accusations' after being stunned by the Blues' claim he threatened to score an own goal.
    Arsenal Goal Alerts

Gallas, who joined Arsenal on deadline day in a cash-plus-player deal that saw England left-back Ashley Cole move in the opposite direction, denied making the threat and said the Premiership champions 'lacked class'.

The French defender, currently preparing for his country's Euro 2008 qualifier against Italy, revealed he would explain his reasons for quitting Stamford Bridge at an 'appropriate' time.

Gallas was forced to respond after Chelsea, in an unprecedented move, issued a statement which alleged Gallas refused to play against Liverpool in last season's FA Cup semi-final and against Manchester City at the beginning of the current campaign.

The club insisted that he threatened to score an own goal, get himself sent-off or make deliberate mistakes if Mourinho picked him for the home clash against City.

But Gallas declared: "I am surprised and shocked by these remarks.

"I never said that I would score an own goal. I was very firm in my will to leave, that is clear, and I will explain at the appropriate time why.

"If people want to hide behind these eccentric charges to explain my departure instead of assuming their responsibilities in front of their supporters, then they can do.

"But I am not sure that it misleads many people. I spent five years at Chelsea. During those five years, I always gave my best and showed how much I was honoured to wear the shirt.

"All this is very, very petty on behalf of Chelsea. But at the same time, coming on behalf of its new leaders, that does not surprise me. Even if Chelsea has much money, its new leaders lack class."