Thread: Materazzi Speaks!

Hall Of Fame

Materazzi Speaks!

guess he wasnt saying a "Yo mama" joke...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...378086&cc=5901

Remark about sister set off Zidane at World Cup
    Reuters

Italy defender Marco Materazzi has revealed the content of the verbal exchange he had with Zinedine Zidane which led to the infamous head butt that sent the French star off in July's World Cup final.

Materazzi said it was a mention of Zidane's sister which prompted the head butt from the French midfielder that left France down to 10 men before its defeat on penalty kicks.

"I did not provoke him, I responded verbally to a provocation," Materazzi told the daily Gazzetta dello Sport on Tuesday.

"We both spoke and I wasn't the first. I held his shirt but don't you think it is a provocation to say that 'if you want my shirt I will give it you afterwards'?

"I replied to Zidane that I would prefer his sister, that is true. I brought up his sister and that wasn't a nice thing, that is true," said Materazzi.

"Thankfully there are tens of footballers who could confirm that much worse things are said on the field," added the Inter Milan defender.

France hosts Italy in a European Championship qualifier on Wednesday but neither Zidane nor Materazzi will play.

Zidane, who has retired as a player, was fined $6,014 and handed a three-match ban by FIFA's five-man disciplinary committee following the July 9 final.

As he is no longer a player, he offered to undertake three days of community service on FIFA's behalf as part of their humanitarian activities, which the committee accepted.

Materazzi was handed a two-match ban and fined $4,010. His sentence was fiercely criticized in Italy.

The Italy defender said that while he had told FIFA he was willing to make a gesture of reconciliation with Zidane, he was not going to apologize.

"He has not apologized to me and I certainly don't have to apologize to him. If anything, I owe apologies to his sister, although I swear, before all this mess I didn't even know Zidane had a sister," he said.

Materazzi said that he thought the two could put the incident behind them.

"If peace can be made after terrible wars can Zidane and I not make peace? A peace between men, without much publicity, certainly yes.

"The door of my house will always be open to him and if he wants, Zidane knows how to find out my address," said Materazzi.

Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    guess he wasnt saying a "Yo mama" joke...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...378086&cc=5901

"I did not provoke him, I responded verbally to a provocation," Materazzi told the daily Gazzetta dello Sport on Tuesday.

"We both spoke and I wasn't the first. I held his shirt but don't you think it is a provocation to say that 'if you want my shirt I will give it you afterwards'?

"I replied to Zidane that I would prefer his sister, that is true.
    I brought up his sister and that wasn't a nice thing, that is true," said Materazzi.

LOL, I'm sorry I think that's hilarious. "You want my shirt?" "I'd prefer your sister." hahaha

I think the comment was funny and the headbutt was well-deserved. I can't blame either of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    LOL, I'm sorry I think that's hilarious. "You want my shirt?" "I'd prefer your sister." hahaha

I think the comment was funny and the headbutt was well-deserved. I can't blame either of them.
    seriously...i'm a lot happier that this is what it was...though i still think we havent heard the end of this...

seriously...i'm a lot happier that this is what it was...though i still think we havent heard the end of this...

you're damn right, tomorow at 3pm (eastern US time) is a WC final REMATCH...

Italy vs. France for Euro 2008 qualifying. I'm trying to see what kind of stream it's going to be on the internet. This is a pretty big match, and Italy is paying out 2-1 as the underdog... hmm...

Hall Of Fame

Italy vs. France for Euro 2008 qualifying. I'm trying to see what kind of stream it's going to be on the internet. This is a pretty big match, and Italy is paying out 2-1 as the underdog... hmm...
    yeah i'm looking forward to that match...tempted to hit the local soccer bar, but i dont think that would be a good idea in lieu of my night class that evening...decisions decisions...

yeah i'm looking forward to that match...tempted to hit the local soccer bar, but i dont think that would be a good idea in lieu of my night class that evening...decisions decisions...

what are you, a woman? go to the bar.

Hall Of Fame
    what are you, a woman? go to the bar.
    hahahah...when you put it like that, how can i argue with you?

hahahah...when you put it like that, how can i argue with you?

you can't, unless your name is Susie

Wow this saga really has it all doesn't it? From nipple tweeking to name calling to sexual relations with sisters and mothers and throw in the odd terrorist, its got more than the average hollywood blockbuster!

The re-match should be good, Zidane isn't playing anymore though

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok14
    Wow this saga really has it all doesn't it? From nipple tweeking to name calling to sexual relations with sisters and mothers and throw in the odd terrorist, its got more than the average hollywood blockbuster!

that's europe for you. in the states, the closest thing we ever get to that is if a batter gets buzzed high and tight, the benches clear, and someone gets shoved a little bit.

All Pro

They have several players out because of injury, suspension and being out of shape. Plus they didn't look that good in the tie against Lithuania at home. It'll be interesting to see how Donadoni handles his first big match...

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman
    They have several players out because of injury, suspension and being out of shape. Plus they didn't look that good in the tie against Lithuania at home. It'll be interesting to see how Donadoni handles his first big match...

I read an interview with Gennaro "The Snarling Dog" Gattuso and he pretty much said that the squad is fired up for this match. I hope so.

All Pro
    I read an interview with Gennaro "The Snarling Dog" Gattuso and he pretty much said that the squad is fired up for this match. I hope so.
    Paulie, The Game is on channel 615 if you have direct TV...
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 09-06-2006 at 09:24 AM.

damn! well, I don't.... but thanks anyway

All Pro
    I'll post updates once they start at 3.

Hall Of Fame
    damnit!..thats setanta, the freaking pay english sports channel...this wont be the last time this season their antics foil me either...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok14

It would great if he was playing. If he didn't retire would he still be suspended?

By the way 14 sorry about what happen to Steve Irwin, he seemed to be a great person.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick
    It would great if he was playing. If he didn't retire would he still be suspended?

By the way 14 sorry about what happen to Steve Irwin, he seemed to be a great person.
    Yeah he would of still been suspended.

Cheers mate, we lost another huge aussie icon just today as well, peter brock, big car racer here in australia back in the 70's - 80's ish, was participating in a targa rally when he smashed into a tree... Bad week to be an aussie icon.

this is getting ridiculous... looks like a planned reconcile between Materazzi and Zidane is in the works... how cute:

Marco Materazzi thought it would be nice if Zinedine Zidane dropped by his house and said he was sorry over a few cappuccinos.

Heck, if Zidane wanted, he could probably even bring his sister along.

What better way to put aside all the hard feelings over their little confrontation on the soccer field than a cozy tete-a-tete?

"A peace among men, without a lot of publicity," Materazzi said last week. "The door to my house will always be open for that. And if Zidane wants, he knows where to find my address."

That would likely be in Italy, which at last glance isn't all that far from France. Zidane could take the train down, enjoy a good meal, and make a day of it.

If only it were that easy. Apparently the most famous head butt in the history of sport calls for a more formal reconciliation.

File this one under silly ideas taken way too far:

Soccer king Sepp Blatter is working on a plan for the two to get together and resolve their differences in South Africa, where the 2010 World Cup is scheduled to take place. Actually, the meeting would be off the coast of South Africa on Robben Island.

If you haven't heard of Robben Island, it's never been known as a place for jolly get togethers. For the better part of four centuries, it served as a prison for political troublemakers and social outcasts of South African society.

Its most famous inmate was Nelson Mandela, who spent more than 20 years locked up in a tiny cell in the island's prison, which is now a museum.

The perfect place, it seems, for two soccer players to shake hands and maybe even exchange a hug or two.

"We are working on bringing together Zidane and Materazzi and to bring to end this story," Blatter said Monday.

That end also would be a beginning of sorts for the 2010 World Cup, which will be the first ever held in Africa. It also would serve as a thank you to the South African Parliament, which last month approved some $2 billion in spending for what is billed as the biggest sporting event in the world.

There were suggestions - denied by Blatter and others - during this summer's World Cup that FIFA was looking to move the 2010 event because of fears South Africa would not be ready. An appearance by the two famous combatants from this year's final would certainly be a morale booster for organizers.

Still, it seems like a strange spot to hold a reconciliation. The British tabloids are already having a field day with the idea, with one suggesting that Mandela serve as a referee.

"Blatter dreams of Zidane-Materazzi love island," screamed one headline.

Actually, there are a lot of reasons to continue to milk the head butt that got Zidane tossed out of the final, which Italy won on penalty kicks. Because even Americans who would rather watch the WNBA than a soccer match were captivated by the endless video replays of Zidane putting his head down and ramming into Materazzi's chest.

Anyone with an e-mail account who didn't get at least five different funny takeouts on the head butt needs to get out more. They may not know who Pele is, but they can tell you in great detail how that crazy Frenchman knocked the Italian flat with one well-placed head butt.

Materazzi finally came clean last week and revealed to a breathless world just what it was he said that provoked Zidane into attacking him. Seems Materazzi was grabbing Zidane's jersey and the French star told him:

"If you want my shirt, I will give it to you afterwards."

"I responded that I preferred his sister, it's true," Materazzi said.

As trash talking goes, it hardly approached NBA or NFL levels, where not only are sisters in play, but mothers too.

The French, however, take these kind of things a bit more seriously.

It may have cost them the World Cup, but 61 percent of the French in a recent poll said they forgave Zidane for his behavior. If anything, he is more of a national hero than before for being man enough to defend his family's honor.

At a European Championship qualifier in France last week, fans brought life-sized effigies of Zidane and chanted his name even though he was not on the field as France beat Italy in the rematch of the World Cup final.

If the two meet in South Africa, don't expect a lot of apologizing. Zidane's place in French history is secure without telling anyone he is sorry.

Materazzi, meanwhile, says he has nothing to apologize about. His trash talk was just that - trash talk.

"If anything, I owe apologies to his sister, although I swear, before all this mess, I didn't even know Zidane had a sister."