Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Senate report: No Saddam, al-Qaida link

Senate report: No Saddam, al-Qaida link

Senate report: No Saddam, al-Qaida link

Updated: 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
    WASHINGTON - There’s no evidence Saddam Hussein had ties with al-Qaida, according to a Senate report issued Friday on prewar intelligence that Democrats say undercuts President Bush’s justification for invading Iraq.

Bush administration officials have insisted on a link between the Iraqi regime and terror leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Intelligence agencies, however, concluded there was none.

Republicans countered that there was little new in the report and Democrats were trying to score election-year points with it.

The declassified document released Friday by the intelligence committee also explores the role that inaccurate information supplied by the anti-Saddam exile group the Iraqi National Congress had in the march to war.

It concludes that postwar findings do not support a 2002 intelligence community report that Iraq was reconstituting its nuclear program, possessed biological weapons or ever developed mobile facilities for producing biological warfare agents.

The 400-page report comes at a time when Bush is emphasizing the need to prevail in Iraq to win the war on terrorism while Democrats are seeking to make that policy an issue in the midterm elections.

It discloses for the first time an October 2005 CIA assessment that prior to the war Saddam’s government “did not have a relationship, harbor, or turn a blind eye toward Zarqawi and his associates.”

Bush and other administration officials have said that the presence of Zarqawi in Iraq before the war was evidence of a connection between Saddam’s government and al-Qaida. Zarqawi was killed by a U.S. airstrike in June this year.

Partisan reaction
    White House press secretary Tony Snow said the report was “nothing new.”

“In 2002 and 2003, members of both parties got a good look at the intelligence we had and they came to the very same conclusions about what was going on,” Snow said. That was “one of the reasons you had overwhelming majorities in the United States Senate and the House for taking action against Saddam Hussein,” he said.

Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., a member of the committee, said the long-awaited report was “a devastating indictment of the Bush-Cheney administration’s unrelenting, misleading and deceptive attempts” to link Saddam to al-Qaida.

The administration, said Sen. John D. Rockefeller, D-W.Va., top Democrat on the committee, “exploited the deep sense of insecurity among Americans in the immediate aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, leading a large majority of Americans to believe — contrary to the intelligence assessments at the time — that Iraq had a role in the 9/11 attacks.”

The chairman of the committee, Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., said it has long been known that prewar assessments of Iraq “were a tragic intelligence failure.”

But he said the Democratic interpretations expressed in the report “are little more than a vehicle to advance election-year political charges.” He said Democrats “continue to use the committee to try and rewrite history, insisting that they were deliberately duped into supporting the overthrow of Saddam Hussein’s regime.”

Divisions slowed release
    The intelligence committee issued a portion of its analysis, labeled Phase I, on prewar intelligence shortcomings in July 2004. But concluding work on Phase II of the study has been more problematic because of partisan divisions over how senior policymakers used intelligence in arguing for the need to drive Saddam from power.

Last November, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada forced the Senate into a rare closed-door session to discuss the delay in coming out with the new data.

The 400-page report covers only two of the five topics outlined under Phase II. Much of the information — on the intelligence supplied by the INC and Chalabi and the overestimation of Saddam’s weapons of mass destruction threat — has been documented in numerous studies.

The committee is still considering three other issues as part of its Phase II analysis, including statements of policymakers in the run-up to the war.

There goes another one of their talking points.

So if you're keeping score

Iraq has weapons of mass destruction and they are ready to attack.....WRONG

Saddam Hussein has connection to 9/11....WRONG

Saddam Hussein has connection to Al Qaida....WRONG

We will be treated as liberators and have roses thrown at our feet.....WRONG

Saddam is a bad guy....CORRECT LET'S GO TO WAR!!!!

Oh by the way, the people who DID attack us are still out there.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Nice to see the Senate is still spending time on who to blame...
    That's what historians used to do on their own dime...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

The administration, said Sen. John D. Rockefeller, D-W.Va., top Democrat on the committee, “exploited the deep sense of insecurity among Americans in the immediate aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, leading a large majority of Americans to believe — contrary to the intelligence assessments at the time — that Iraq had a role in the 9/11 attacks.”
    Rockefeller was the ranking defeatocrat on the senate intelligence committee...he had access to all the information, confidential or otherwise- he should've opened his mouth three years ago if he had a beef......

All Pro
    I agree..
    All I know is that I knew Saddam had nothing to do with al qeada or 9-11..and I let people know that...unlike the scoundrels who run this once proud govt.

Quote Originally Posted by bman
    I agree..
    All I know is that I knew Saddam had nothing to do with al qeada or 9-11..and I let people know that...unlike the scoundrels who run this once proud govt.
    Same here. Specifically what I bolded in your post. I also told anyone who would listen my thoughts on it, but was very much in the minority at the time.

All Pro
    yea..but unlike those ***** politicians I spoke up, and took crap from a majority of stupid people who have have even left their home state...
    I feel vindicated...
    I knew as soon as Little Bush and Dickead Cheney starting talking about Iraq after 9-11, that the US would attack Iraq..and for no reason.

Veteran
    So Rocky, a top-dog 'rat on the intel committee, was so dumb that he was duped into voting to after Saddumb? And the lunatic left thinks W is dumb...LOL

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY
    Rockefeller was the ranking defeatocrat on the senate intelligence committee...he had access to all the information, confidential or otherwise- he should've opened his mouth three years ago if he had a beef......
    There were a number of disgraceful democrats, including those who voted to give bush the ok to invade Iraq, who went along with the administration w/o thinking, simply out of fear of being labeled "weak on terror" and jeopardizing there own political carreers. This was pathetic. Some have had the courage to admit they were wrong. Those who did not are spineless scumbags and dont deserve the support of any Dem/Lib/Progressive voter

flushingjet
    Anyone who believes nations and people of the ummah don't act in concert with each other is a naive, appeasing fool-plain and simple

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by flushingjet
    Anyone who believes nations and people of the ummah don't act in concert with each other is a naive, appeasing fool-plain and simple
    Dats right hoss!!!

All dim Ayy-rahhhbbs is da same. They all is a bunch of camel-jockey, raghead turrrrrrrisssssss! And they all hate our way of life and want to kill each and everyone of us 'murrrkins. I reckon we nuke the entire middle east and kill each and everyone of em sandniggers.

Enough already, i gotta grab my rifle and jump in my F-250 . My cuzzin Emma Sue is waiting for me, got a hots date ya know.

Yeeee Ha!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7
    i gotta grab my rifle and jump in my F-250 . My cuzzin Emma Sue is waiting for me, got a hots date ya know.

Yeeee Ha!

And don't gets me started on them dag nabbit blackies! Thems running around and seducing our white women with their bee bop music!

flushingjet
    Dats right hoss!!!

All dim Ayy-rahhhbbs is da same. They all is a bunch of camel-jockey, raghead turrrrrrrisssssss! And they all hate our way of life and want to kill each and everyone of us 'murrrkins. I reckon we nuke the entire middle east and kill each and everyone of em sandniggers.

Enough already, i gotta grab my rifle and jump in my F-250 . My cuzzin Emma Sue is waiting for me, got a hots date ya know.

Yeeee Ha!
    ?
    Self-medicating again?

The Arab and Islamic nations have always acted in concert
    and terrorists have always travelled freely within the ummah
    Ignore the facts at your own peril

America is not like Cyprus or Greece-
    Most of us wont bend over for Islamists.
    Even if you will

flushingjet
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan
    And don't gets me started on them dag nabbit blackies! Thems running around and seducing our white women with their bee bop music!
    Adding value to the discourse as usual I see.

All Pro
    ?
    Self-medicating again?

Even if you will

Really ? Always????
    Do you make up your own history or is this stupidity just a reflection of your inbreeding heritage?

Did you forget about the fighting between Shiite and Sunni Muslims throughout history? How about the Iran-Iraq war? Werent they both Islamic nations? How about the fighting between the Lebanese/Syrians? Or the Kurds vs the Turks/Iraq/Iran? All parties were Muslim here as well.

As for bending over, no ive never bent over for anyone, unlike your wife who begged for my spicy souvlaki after being bored with your hardly there Hebrew National cocktail frank, a$$hole!

Hall Of Fame
    ?
    Self-medicating again?

Even if you will

Blah blah blah blah blah. Thank god most of America isn't as retarded as you.

Hall Of Fame
    Please inform us how you are fighting terrorism?

You won't bend over for Islamists? Does that mean you will for other groups?

?
    Self-medicating again?

Even if you will

flushingjet
    Really ? Always????
    Do you make up your own history or is this stupidity just a reflection of your inbreeding heritage?

Did you forget about the fighting between Shiite and Sunni Muslims throughout history? How about the Iran-Iraq war? Werent they both Islamic nations? How about the fighting between the Lebanese/Syrians? Or the Kurds vs the Turks/Iraq/Iran? All parties were Muslim here as well.

As for bending over, no ive never bent over for anyone, unlike your wife who begged for my spicy souvlaki after being bored with your hardly there Hebrew National cocktail frank, a$$hole!

you must be related to dumbmarine
    no one said there is no infighting in their society
    theres no infighting in ours?

outside of Iran and Iraq the Shia are in the minority as
    are others but when it comes to being against the West or Israel
    theyll act as one-thats what im talkin, private idaho.

they fund and participate in terror the world over.
    most of the ME nations who declared war have never made peace with Israel
    theres a laundry list of their collusion past and present from the Arab League, OPEC, and UN voting blocs
    but they never act together, and are good and kind the world over
    *chuckle*
    for example. you must have missed the meeting of the Arab
    League where Ahmanutjob showed up to help plot the
    "coincidental" Gaza-Lebanese Israeli Soldier kidnappings
    I always get a kick out of left wing naivete
    id laugh harder if it werent so life-threatening

what fighting between lebanon and syria? 40 years ago when
    the Christians were in the majority?
    lebanon was a puppet state of syria for decades
    but they "left" after they went a bit too far and murdered hariri

kurds are/were surpressed by their neighbors-little wonder because
    kurds have always been among the more moderate Muslims - Kurdish women have enjoyed more freedoms than Arab and Iranian women.
    they do not cover their faces and do not wear all covering garments

did I mention the hotbed of terrorist sympathy and the fortress
    military might that is Greece?
    you took over Astoria, but you cant take back Cyprus?

Hebrew National *chuckle* - who told you that one, the
    bad mock drafter or antisemitein2004?
    Last edited by flushingjet; 09-11-2006 at 02:10 AM.

flushingjet
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726
    Please inform us how you are fighting terrorism?

You won't bend over for Islamists? Does that mean you will for other groups?
    How am I fighting terrorism?
    What a dopey question.

How are YOU fighting it?
    By posting on DailyKos?
    By complaining about Bush?
    By going to daily matinees of Puppetry of the Pen*s?
    By posting here?

Unlike a smug, unknowing jagoff such as yourself, I was victimized by terror on 9/11.
    So I know what it is, and who's behind it.
    I fight terrorism by supporting OUR governments efforts to
    squash it instead of undermining it
    I dont parse like a libtard puss and mewl
    this country has terrorists, but this adjacent one
    with an unguarded border next to it doesnt, and this
    one has a bomb, but its ally & next door neighbor doesnt have
    one & wants only nuclear reactors full of peace

if you dont comprehend the ummah and islamist collusion I cant help you
    Last edited by flushingjet; 09-11-2006 at 02:47 AM.

flushingjet
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan
    Blah blah blah blah blah. Thank god most of America isn't as retarded as you.
    Disappointing comeback.
    I thought you'd post a picture of Jesus getting a bj under the
    table at the Last Supper or sumpin' edgy like that

Hall Of Fame
    You aren't doing shYt. Smug, you must be talking about your own attacking posts. You support your gov't? Meaning you are a Republican and you support them blindly and hope they are going to start making things better.

I just participated in a triathlon for the 5th straight year, for a friend who was killed in the World Trade and left his wife behind 6 months pregnant.

I am an agent of the gov't and actually fight crime every day as you sit here and blast anyone who doesn't agree with you.

You are so blinded by politics, you actually think your opinion is the only that counts and you are actually helping the fight against terrorism.

Keep on feeling self-important because you are a Republican. I am a registered Independent because there is NO difference in either party anymore.

How am I fighting terrorism?
    What a dopey question.

How are YOU fighting it?
    By posting on DailyKos?
    By complaining about Bush?
    By going to daily matinees of Puppetry of the Pen*s?
    By posting here?

Unlike a smug, unknowing jagoff such as yourself, I was victimized by terror on 9/11.
    So I know what it is, and who's behind it.
    I fight terrorism by supporting OUR governments efforts to
    squash it instead of undermining it
    I dont parse like a libtard puss and mewl
    this country has terrorists, but this adjacent one
    with an unguarded border next to it doesnt, and this
    one has a bomb, but its ally & next door neighbor doesnt have
    one & wants only nuclear reactors full of peace

if you dont comprehend the ummah and islamist collusion I cant help you