Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Don't the Yankees wear the NYPD, FDNY Hats?

All League

Why Don't the Yankees wear the NYPD, FDNY Hats?

Is the interlocking NY that important that they can't for one night wear the hats of first responders like the Mets?

is this really an issue?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    is this really an issue?
    seriously, i'm glad the mets do it, but it doesnt have to be some across the board thing...the yankees, if i'm not mistaken, never deviate from their classic uniform, so of course they arent going to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    seriously, i'm glad the mets do it, but it doesnt have to be some across the board thing...the yankees, if i'm not mistaken, never deviate from their classic uniform, so of course they arent going to do it...
    an exception should have been made IMO

All League
    is this really an issue?
    I mean even the Florida Marlins wore the hats tonight...but the Yankees can't?

Torre has an FDNY hat on.

However, I don't think wearing a certain hat is essential in remebering 9/11/01. We all know what day it is, and I'm sure the Yankees are as sympathetic to the situation as the Mets are. I don't see how a hat really makes a big difference.

Torre has an FDNY hat on.

However, I don't think wearing a certain hat is essential in remebering 9/11/01. We all know what day it is, and I'm sure the Yankees are as sympathetic to the situation as the Mets are. I don't see how a hat really makes a big difference.
    it's symbolic and it's effortless... just change the hat. i'm just curious why the yankees would rather wear their own hat today.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    it's symbolic and it's effortless... just change the hat. i'm just curious why the yankees would rather wear their own hat today.
    I agree with you. If I was a Yankee fan I would be bombing their front office with inquiries as to why not. Stoic symbolism is more important than showing NYC you share in our nations loss???

So because the Yankees didn't wear NYPD hats, that means they don't care about the events that happened on 9/11/01?

NEW YORK -- A day after the five-year anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the Yankees held their own tribute in the Bronx.

The Yankees laid a wreath around the Sept. 11 stone in Monument Park and held a moment of silence for those who lost their lives or aided in the rescue effort.

Each team's players and coaches came out of the dugout and Yankee Stadium was completely hushed with some American flags waiving within the crowd.

"We ask that you pause for a moment of silent prayer as we remember the innocent victims of the Sept. 11 attacks," legendary public address announcer Bob Sheppard said.

"You don't want to be reminded, but you certainly need to remember what happened in New York," Yankees manager Joe Torre said Monday on the anniversary.
    - mlb.com

All League
    So because the Yankees didn't wear NYPD hats, that means they don't care about the events that happened on 9/11/01?

- mlb.com
    No one ever said that they didn't care about the events that happened on 9/11. I just said that I thought they were so corporate that they wouldn't for one night substitute their world famous interlocking "NY" with the caps of the NYPD, FDNY, etc. It was just something I thought of when I saw the Florida Marlins wearing them and then I turn to the Yanks/Orioles game and the Yankees wearing their normal caps.

Whatever...it's Sept 13 now. What's done is done.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    I agree with you. If I was a Yankee fan I would be bombing their front office with inquiries as to why not. Stoic symbolism is more important than showing NYC you share in our nations loss???
    make better examples next time.

i'm just saying there's no reason to not wear the hat for one night.

Veteran
    I wouldn't have worn them either. Why not do something special and unique instead of retreading things that have already been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharrow
    I wouldn't have worn them either. Why not do something special and unique instead of retreading things that have already been done.
    why not do both? is it that hard to put the hat on? i could see if putting the hat on negatively affected the yankees but it clearly doesn't

Not every one in America who likes the country flys an American flag in their yard, or buys a flag sticker to put on their car or house every 4th of July( which is associated with something far more important in our country's history than 9/11), and that doesn't subject them to public scrutiny. Questioning the Yankees over this is the equivalent of making a ticky tack call on the final game of the Superbowl to give one team the win.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofqueens718
    Is the interlocking NY that important that they can't for one night wear the hats of first responders like the Mets?
    clearly the yankees hate america...

and freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin

and freedom.
    ...and Boston

Quote Originally Posted by ryan44
    Not every one in America who likes the country flys an American flag in their yard, or buys a flag sticker to put on their car or house every 4th of July( which is associated with something far more important in our country's history than 9/11), and that doesn't subject them to public scrutiny. Questioning the Yankees over this is the equivalent of making a ticky tack call on the final game of the Superbowl to give one team the win.
    never said that but when the rest of the NY teams do it - it would've been a nice gesture. it would've showed a lot of unity and brought more positive publicty to groups that really deserve it (NYPD, FDNY, etc.)

and again, there is NO downside to wearing the hats.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    never said that but when the rest of the NY teams do it - it would've been a nice gesture. it would've showed a lot of unity and brought more positive publicty to groups that really deserve it (NYPD, FDNY, etc.)

and again, there is NO downside to wearing the hats.
    It could hurt merchandise sales and thereby cost Steinbrenner some money...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin

and freedom.
    Clearly they don't support the troops. {lol}

Quote Originally Posted by ryan44
    It could hurt merchandise sales and thereby cost Steinbrenner some money...
    at least try to have an intelligent conversation with me