Thread: Jeter Responds to Ortiz's Comments

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeter Responds to Ortiz's Comments

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2584168

Jeter to Ortiz: Yanks have 'something to play for'
    ESPN.com news services

Success is apparently its own reward for New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter.

When asked about Boston Red Sox DH David Ortiz's grousing about his chances to be the American League MVP, Jeter noted the Yankees still have "something to play for."

In comments published Monday, Ortiz said the Red Sox's free-fall from the AL playoff race should not affect his MVP candidacy with voters, and compared his own performance to Jeter, whose MVP stock rose as the Yankees took command of the AL East. New York led Boston by 10 games on Tuesday.

"Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup," Ortiz said of Jeter. "Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be."

To that, Jeter replied "I don't have to do it in his lineup."

"I'm not thinking about the MVP right now," he told reporters Monday. "We're thinking about winning a division. We've still got something to play for."

He then added, "No one here's focused on individual awards."

Yankees center fielder Johnny Damon said Ortiz's comments didn't sound like the Big Papi he played with for three seasons in Boston.

"It doesn't sound like Ortiz," Damon told reporters. "I can't believe he would say something like that."

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    no comment, except that I loathe the Boston Red Sox

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the Red Sox don't have the Yankees batting order by any means, but Ortiz is still hitting in front of, or right behind Manny Ramirez, nice of him to leave that part out. I always hated the Sox, but I thought Ortiz was a real class guy until Monday.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a big baby. While I think he derserves it more than Jeter he has to let the game take care of itself.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can you be MVP when you miss games in August and Spetember, and your team goes in the tank?

I vote for Jeter and the Minnesota Catcher (blanking on his name)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob
    How can you be MVP when you miss games in August and Spetember, and your team goes in the tank?

I vote for Jeter and the Minnesota Catcher (blanking on his name)
    Joe Mauer. Morneau and Santana also could be the MVP's of the leauge from MN.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ortiz gave an interview on how the whole thing got blown out of proportion and how he respects Jeter and wasn't trying to diss him.

The interview airs on the early edition of Friday's sportscenter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    Ortiz gave an interview on how the whole thing got blown out of proportion and how he respects Jeter and wasn't trying to diss him.

The interview airs on the early edition of Friday's sportscenter.
    Time for some good old damage control. Yeah, Ozzie Guillen didn't mean to call the sports writer a "fag" either.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jvill 51
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2584168

Jeter to Ortiz: Yanks have 'something to play for'
    ESPN.com news services

Success is apparently its own reward for New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter.

When asked about Boston Red Sox DH David Ortiz's grousing about his chances to be the American League MVP, Jeter noted the Yankees still have "something to play for."

In comments published Monday, Ortiz said the Red Sox's free-fall from the AL playoff race should not affect his MVP candidacy with voters, and compared his own performance to Jeter, whose MVP stock rose as the Yankees took command of the AL East. New York led Boston by 10 games on Tuesday.

"Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup," Ortiz said of Jeter. "Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be."

To that, Jeter replied "I don't have to do it in his lineup."

"I'm not thinking about the MVP right now," he told reporters Monday. "We're thinking about winning a division. We've still got something to play for."

He then added, "No one here's focused on individual awards."

Yankees center fielder Johnny Damon said Ortiz's comments didn't sound like the Big Papi he played with for three seasons in Boston.

"It doesn't sound like Ortiz," Damon told reporters. "I can't believe he would say something like that."
    I wonder how Ortiz's teammates feel about his comments.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ortiz's misguided whining probably helped Jeter in the eyes of many sportswriters, instead of boosting himself up which was probably the idea. That being said, Jeter will remember it for the rest of his career. Just look at A-Rod, who made some fairly innocuous, though silly comments years ago, and Jeter still seems about as comfortable with Alex as he would if he had the plague. Jeter for MVP

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Joe Mauer. Morneau and Santana also could be the MVP's of the leauge from MN.
    I agree. Regardless of what Papi thinks, defense and leadership count in winning the MVP. Examples, Terry Pendleton and Kirk Gibson.