Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Yankees have the best record in all of baseball.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up The Yankees have the best record in all of baseball.

With the Yankee's win last night over the Devil Rays and the Mets dropping their 3rd straight game to the Nationals, the Yankees now have the best record in all of baseball at 93-60.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-23-2006 at 06:27 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if that's a good thing, the last team w/ the best record in baseball to win it all was the '98 Yankees and since 1990 that's the ONLY team w/ the best record in MLB to win it all.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    With that payroll and all those talented players they SHOULD have the best record.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYjets105
    With that payroll and all those talented players they SHOULD have the best record.
    Stop w/ the payroll nonsense, the mets had the highest payroll in the NL last year and didn't make the playoffs. Shouldn't the team w/ the highest payroll in their league make the playoffs? The mets play in the same City and have all the same opportunities to make and spend money. The mets would be nowhere w/o overpaying FAs and inheriting salary dumps so stop w/ that silly argument.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    Stop w/ the payroll nonsense, the mets had the highest payroll in the NL last year and didn't make the playoffs. Shouldn't the team w/ the highest payroll in their league make the playoffs? The mets play in the same City and have all the same opportunities to make and spend money. The mets would be nowhere w/o overpaying FAs and inheriting salary dumps so stop w/ that silly argument.
    No, but when you spend double the amount of the team who's 2nd in the payroll you should have the best record. That's all I'm saying. People act surprised they're doing well. It's no shock to anybody the team with no resources has the best record. I'm not complaining at all, just saying let's stop acting like this is some feel good story.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work by the Yankees, played good ball this year after some shaky moments in the beginning of the year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The disparity between even the Yanks and the Mets payroll is staggering. I have no problem calling the Yanks the best team in the league. You should have no problem admitting that they SHOULD be the best team in the league - just like the Mets SHOULD be the best team in the NL.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    please..your heroes are following right in their footsteps..and..if the yankees were losing the division you would say it's a joke with that huge payroll..

alot of there high payroll guys were out for the majority of the season..sheffield/matsui..had your heroes lost david wright and beltran what(my god )
    would have happened???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    please..your heroes are following right in their footsteps..and..if the yankees were losing the division you would say it's a joke with that huge payroll..

alot of there high payroll guys were out for the majority of the season..sheffield/matsui..had your heroes lost david wright and beltran what(my god )
    would have happened???
    following in their footsteps? not with 1/2 half the payroll. let's not even take a 1/2 of the Mets payroll, let's take 1/3 off (the Twins) Are they following in the Mets footsteps?

And yes, if the Yankees missed the playoffs, it would be a joke. When you spend that much more than everyone else, you should make the playoffs.

I'm not ripping the Yanks - I think they are the best team - but expectations have to be adjusted - and fans shouldn't defensive over those expectations

The Yanks had lots of injuries this year... if they couldn't spend as much to have other quality players around them - they would've been much worse off

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    following in their footsteps? not with 1/2 half the payroll. let's not even take a 1/2 of the Mets payroll, let's take 1/3 off (the Twins) Are they following in the Mets footsteps?

And yes, if the Yankees missed the playoffs, it would be a joke. When you spend that much more than everyone else, you should make the playoffs.

I'm not ripping the Yanks - I think they are the best team - but expectations have to be adjusted - and fans shouldn't defensive over those expectations

The Yanks had lots of injuries this year... if they couldn't spend as much to have other quality players around them - they would've been much worse off
    ok..let me explain it to you...

ok..you have a point..the national league is much less competitive than the american league.
    but..the mets did start signing high profile free agents..right???

isn't that the yankees mantra??isn't that following in their footsteps???
    it is..and if the mets can get it done at a cheaper rate because they are in a weak/non competitive league..is that the Yankees fault???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    ok..let me explain it to you...

ok..you have a point..the national league is much less competitive than the american league.
    but..the mets did start signing high profile free agents..right???

isn't that the yankees mantra??isn't that following in their footsteps???
    it is..and if the mets can get it done at a cheaper rate because they are in a weak/non competitive league..is that the Yankees fault???
    The Mets have added high priced free agents to go along with their young talent - as well as adding low priced value FAs (Jose Valentin, Feliciano, Endy Chavez, Darren Oliver, Bradford, Castro) as well as getting value in non-salary dump trades (Maine, El Duque, Berto Hernandez, Mota, LoDuca) Without these role players, the Mets aren't as successful.

They've also set themselves up in the future by signing young talent in Beltran, Wright and Reyes while having the minors fairly deep in young, live arms. They've also been one of the most aggressive in finding teenage international talent. This is a team that has a nice balance between veterans and young'ins, not a lot of payroll tied up next year and will likely be competitive over the next few years.

You can't get a "cheaper" rate for being in the NL, either. I'm not sure what you mean. All teams compete for free agents.

And again, you can point to Beltran, Wagner, Pedro all you want - but while the Mets have a top 5 payroll (and 10 mil away from top 10 like the Braves, Astros) the Yankees have double the payroll. 100 mil more.

I'm not knocking the Yanks when I say they should make the playoffs. I'm calling a spade a spade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, but when you spend double the amount of the team who's 2nd in the payroll you should have the best record. That's all I'm saying. People act surprised they're doing well. It's no shock to anybody the team with no resources has the best record. I'm not complaining at all, just saying let's stop acting like this is some feel good story.
    Of course your not going to like it , look at the team you root for . Stop hating and enjoy your amazins success this year. And that avatar cracks me up. Who is that Bannister.We had the youth step up just as the youth on the Mets did.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, cause the Mets, Dodgers, Whitesox and Cubs all play in small markets, with no chance to make any kind of money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob
    Yeah, cause the Mets, Dodgers, Whitesox and Cubs all play in small markets, with no chance to make any kind of money.
    Who said that?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    as well as getting value in non-salary dump trades (Maine, El Duque, Berto Hernandez, Mota, LoDuca)
    LoDuca was a salry dump, he came along w/ a salary dump in Carlos delgado. The mets would not be anywhere near they are w/o overpaying for Pedro, Beltran, Glavine and Wagner and getting salary dumps in LoDuca and Delgado. They have done a good job developing players like Wright and reyes to build around but the winning was accelerated w/ the FAs and salary dumps so for Met fans to complain about the yanks payroll is a little silly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LoDuca was a salry dump, he came along w/ a salary dump in Carlos delgado. The mets would not be anywhere near they are w/o overpaying for Pedro, Beltran, Glavine and Wagner and getting salary dumps in LoDuca and Delgado. They have done a good job developing players like Wright and reyes to build around but the winning was accelerated w/ the FAs and salary dumps so for Met fans to complain about the yanks payroll is a little silly.
    You're right, LoDuca was a salary dump. However, considering his contract was $12 over 2 years, it was pretty reasonable. Any middle market team can afford him for that production. The Mets went after him because they thought Ramon Hernandez and Bengie Molina were too expensive.

I'm not saying the Mets don't spend any money. Of course they do. But they're in a completely different stratosphere. The Mets are within 10 mil of 8 different teams (Braves, Giants, etc.) That's in the same ballpark for top 1/3 of the league.

The Yankee have double the payroll of the Mets - a playoff appearance is expected. Anything less would be a huge disappointment.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mets had to take him as part of the Delgado deal, they would have preferred Molina but they wanted Delgado so bad they took LoDuca. This was a case of getting very lucky- that's not a knock on the Mets as teams that win usually get lucky w/ certain moves they make.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Yankee have double the payroll of the Mets - a playoff appearance is expected. Anything less would be a huge disappointment.
    Anyhting less than a Championship this year is a disappoinemnt, last year we did a great job just to gte to postseason and in most years anything less than an AL pennant is a bad season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mets had to take him as part of the Delgado deal, they would have preferred Molina but they wanted Delgado so bad they took LoDuca. This was a case of getting very lucky- that's not a knock on the Mets as teams that win usually get lucky w/ certain moves they make.
    No, they didn't. Two separate trades. The Mets traded for Delgado. Later on, they brought in Hernandez and Molina but felt they were too expensive so they traded for LoDuca.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyhting less than a Championship this year is a disappoinemnt, last year we did a great job just to gte to postseason and in most years anything less than an AL pennant is a bad season.
    So where do we disagree?