Thread: NYC proposes trans fat ban in restaurants

NYC proposes trans fat ban in restaurants

[url]http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-09-27T000048Z_01_N26368183_RTRUKOC_0_US-NEWYORK-FAT.xml&archived=False[/url]

I'm a pretty big health nut so I realize how terrible trans fat is for you - but a better plan IMO would be to mandate the disclosure of amounts of trans fat in each meal in the menu. Let the consumer decide.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

soon they will have a ban on farting......

Hall Of Fame
    Thank God the government is here to protect me from fast food!! Freedom be damned, THEY know what's best for all of us and we should submit to their every whim - they're smarter than we are and know how we should live our lives better than we do. Oh glorious government, please protect me from myself!

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Thank God the government is here to protect me from fast food!! Freedom be damned, THEY know what's best for all of us and we should submit to their every whim - they're smarter than we are and know how we should live our lives better than we do. Oh glorious government, please protect me from myself![/QUOTE]

I think a ban is going too far - but trans fats are used in nice restaurants as well.Do you agree that restaurants should be required to disclose what's in the food? If I'm aware that trans fat is in food, I do not want to eat. The problem is I'm not sure and when I ask servers, they're not sure either.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I wonder if michael moore-on will do a documentary on this crisis as a form of protest....fat is something close to his heart; figuratively and literally...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]I think a ban is going too far - but trans fats are used in nice restaurants as well.Do you agree that restaurants should be required to disclose what's in the food? If I'm aware that trans fat is in food, I do not want to eat. The problem is I'm not sure and when I ask servers, they're not sure either.[/QUOTE]

So eat at places where they [I]are[/I] sure. What's the problem? Why pass a law about f*cking transfats? It would be impossible for me to care less about transfats when I go out to eat. So, I live my life, you live yours. If a restaurant doesn't want to disclose the amount of transfats in every dish, then they run the risk of losing your business and everyone who thinks like you. If people really cared about this information, restaurants would lose business for not providing information and market forces would direct them to do so. Gathering this information costs money and right now, people don't seem to care.

This is nothing more than big government, nanny-state nonsense. The government swooping to "save" us from a non-existent problem and restricting our freedoms in the process. It's a joke. Slowly we slide towards fascism, all in the name of "our own good."

[QUOTE=jets5ever]So eat at places where they [I]are[/I] sure. What's the problem? Why pass a law about f*cking transfats? It would be impossible for me to care less about transfats when I go out to eat. So, I live my life, you live yours. If a restaurant doesn't want to disclose the amount of transfats in every dish, then they run the risk of losing your business and everyone who thinks like you. If people really cared about this information, restaurants would lose business for not providing information and market forces would direct them to do so. Gathering this information costs money and right now, people don't seem to care.

This is nothing more than big government, nanny-state nonsense. The government swooping to "save" us from a non-existent problem and restricting our freedoms in the process. It's a joke. Slowly we slide towards fascism, all in the name of "our own good."[/QUOTE]

You're perfectly entitled to live your life, that's why I don't think restaurants should be required to ban trans fat. But I think the more information out about a harmful substance, the better. I love to eat out and try different restaurants but "living my life" is being as healthy as possible and making healthy choices. If I knew which restaurants prepared foods the way I wanted it, I could make the correct choices for me.

I think this would be a reasonable law. The FDA requires ingredient disclosure at the supermarkets, I don't see why consumers shouldn't know that this harmful substance is in their food at the restaurant

Hall Of Fame
    The FDA is a ridiculous organization than harms people, not helps them. Don't get me started on the FDA....

"After all, what is competition? Is it something that exists and has a life of its own, like cholera? No. Competition is merely the absence of oppression. In things that concern me, I want to make my own choice, and I do not want another to make it for me without regard for my wishes; that is all. And if someone proposes to substitute his judgment for mine in matters that concern me, I shall demand to substitute my judgment for his in matters that concern him. What guarantee is there that this will make things go any better? It is evident that competition is freedom. To destroy freedom of action is to destroy the possibility, and consequently the power, of choosing, of judging, of comparing; it amounts to destroying reason, to destroying thought, to destroying man himself. Whatever their starting point, this is the ultimate conclusion our modern reformers always reach; for the sake of improving society they begin by destroying the individual, on the pretext that all evils come from him, as if all good things did not likewise come from him."

-Frederic Bastiat

[QUOTE=Oakliusmaximus]"After all, what is competition? Is it something that exists and has a life of its own, like cholera? No. Competition is merely the absence of oppression. In things that concern me, I want to make my own choice, and I do not want another to make it for me without regard for my wishes; that is all. And if someone proposes to substitute his judgment for mine in matters that concern me, I shall demand to substitute my judgment for his in matters that concern him. What guarantee is there that this will make things go any better? It is evident that competition is freedom. To destroy freedom of action is to destroy the possibility, and consequently the power, of choosing, of judging, of comparing; it amounts to destroying reason, to destroying thought, to destroying man himself. Whatever their starting point, this is the ultimate conclusion our modern reformers always reach; for the sake of improving society they begin by destroying the individual, on the pretext that all evils come from him, as if all good things did not likewise come from him."

-Frederic Bastiat[/QUOTE]

bingo - let the people choose

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound][url]http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-09-27T000048Z_01_N26368183_RTRUKOC_0_US-NEWYORK-FAT.xml&archived=False[/url]

I'm a pretty big health nut so I realize how terrible trans fat is for you - but a better plan IMO would be to mandate the disclosure of amounts of trans fat in each meal in the menu. Let the consumer decide.[/QUOTE]

[B]Honestly, this is nuts!!! [/B] This is what happens when lunatic fringe groups get more power then they deserve. What a sad situation.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound]You're perfectly entitled to live your life, that's why I don't think restaurants should be required to ban trans fat. But I think the more information out about a harmful substance, the better. I love to eat out and try different restaurants but "living my life" is being as healthy as possible and making healthy choices. If I knew which restaurants prepared foods the way I wanted it, I could make the correct choices for me.

I think this would be a reasonable law. The FDA requires ingredient disclosure at the supermarkets, I don't see why consumers shouldn't know that this harmful substance is in their food at the restaurant[/QUOTE]

This law sucks!!!! When I go out I don't want to worry about Trans fats or calories listed on my menu. It's nobody's business!!! [B]This country is going to the nuts!!![/B]
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 09-27-2006 at 09:06 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic]This law sucks!!!! When I go out I don't want to worry about Trans fats or calories listed on my menu. It's nobody's business!!! [B]This country is going to the nuts!!![/B][/QUOTE]

I'm telling you....once Spitzer is elected the fart police will be out and about patrolling...

on a positive note think of the income NY will reap with all the gas-bag libs in this state...

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic]This law sucks!!!! When I go out I don't want to worry about Trans fats or calories listed on my menu. It's nobody's business!!! [B]This country is going to the nuts!!![/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I think it's our business to understand what they're giving us - and it's our choice to decide if we want it or not

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]soon they will have a ban on farting......[/QUOTE]

That would suck - I use those as editorial comments.