View Poll Results: Will the Mets turn it on??

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,they will be a Juggernaut

14 66.67%
  • No,they will get embarrassed in the 1st round

7 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Question:Will the Mets be able to turn it on come October??

Banned

Serious Question:Will the Mets be able to turn it on come October??

The Yankees flirted with disaster after clinching early in 2000..with a long losing streak going into the playoffs..they had a seasoned veteran World championship team..Will our heroes from queens be able to turn the switch on??under extreme pressure???

All League
    I certainly hope so. I think tonight's start by Pedro will tell us a little bit about how the postseason is going to shape up.

I am unlike some other Met fans (not anyone on the board that I know of) who are basically saying these games are meaningless. I have to disagree. We have to put in the full regular lineup right now and have them firing on all cylinders. We need to build momentum going into the playoffs and not try to build it in the first round of the playoffs.

I don't think hitting is the major issue (even though we got blanked yesterday). I think once they put the postseason lineup in there and let them play everyday (which I hope happens soon), the Mets will get once again start hitting.

The big question is the starting pitching, which has been hurt in this last week or so. We're not talking about the B squad out there... these are the pitchers we're taking into the playoffs and they are NOT looking good right now.

In short, I believe we need to start the regular lineup now and build some moment. I really hope the pitching becomes much better this week. I would hate to clinch the division only to lose in the 1st week of the playoffs.

End rant.

P.S. I also believe the Yanks are wrestling with some of the same exact issues.

All League
    Btw, I am going to vote option A because right now you're the only one that has voted and it's a 100% to 0%. Just making things even...

While I don't think we will be a Juggernaut (completely dominating) I also don't think the Mets will be embarassed in the 1st round.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    Btw, I am going to vote option A because right now you're the only one that has voted and it's a 100% to 0%. Just making things even...

While I don't think we will be a Juggernaut (completely dominating) I also don't think the Mets will be embarassed in the 1st round.
    Thats fair

I should have put up more choices..But I was too lazy

History says they can

All League
    Pedro looks sharp through 3 so far, if that's any indication

Hall Of Fame
    They will turn it on. Against washington and get hot just in the right time.. Im worried about pedro though

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    I certainly hope so. I think tonight's start by Pedro will tell us a little bit about how the postseason is going to shape up.

I am unlike some other Met fans (not anyone on the board that I know of) who are basically saying these games are meaningless. I have to disagree. We have to put in the full regular lineup right now and have them firing on all cylinders. We need to build momentum going into the playoffs and not try to build it in the first round of the playoffs.

I don't think hitting is the major issue (even though we got blanked yesterday). I think once they put the postseason lineup in there and let them play everyday (which I hope happens soon), the Mets will get once again start hitting.

The big question is the starting pitching, which has been hurt in this last week or so. We're not talking about the B squad out there... these are the pitchers we're taking into the playoffs and they are NOT looking good right now.

In short, I believe we need to start the regular lineup now and build some moment. I really hope the pitching becomes much better this week. I would hate to clinch the division only to lose in the 1st week of the playoffs.

End rant.

P.S. I also believe the Yanks are wrestling with some of the same exact issues.
    Were not in a slump...

Is there any way the Mets would play the Astros in the 1st round, if the Cardinals continue to collapse and Houston over takes them in the division? That would be the only way I could see the Mets losing at all in the NL.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan44
    Is there any way the Mets would play the Astros in the 1st round, if the Cardinals continue to collapse and Houston over takes them in the division? That would be the only way I could see the Mets losing at all in the NL.
    If the phillies make the wildcard

All League
    No. Not without Pedro

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    Were not in a slump...
    I didn't mean you're in a slump. On the contrary, the Yankees bats have not stopped. They're tearing it up. I was refering to the pitching situation with Randy Johnson and no 4th starter named yet.

Btw, I saw the ESPN ticker but wasn't paying too much attention... Is Wang the #1 pitcher ?? I could've swore I saw:

1) Wang
    2) Mussina
    3) Johnson
    4) TBA

If so, great move. Wang has looked really impressive this year.

We just got our ass handed to us again. That makes it a 25 - 1 scoring ratio in the last 2 days. I would be lying if I didn't say I was worried. Pedro really shook things up tonight.

What's the rotation? El Duque, Glavine, Pedro, Trachsel? (By the way, Maine should get the start over Trachsel - that would be a disgraceful decision by Willie). That rotation doesn't get it done. I don't know if they lose in the 1st round or the 2nd, but unless Pedro finds that magic again (and Glavine too for that matter - he hasn't looked good), I don't see this team getting to the WS.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    What's the rotation? El Duque, Glavine, Pedro, Trachsel? (By the way, Maine should get the start over Trachsel - that would be a disgraceful decision by Willie). That rotation doesn't get it done. I don't know if they lose in the 1st round or the 2nd, but unless Pedro finds that magic again (and Glavine too for that matter - he hasn't looked good), I don't see this team getting to the WS.
    Rotation is not finalized yet. El Duque and Glavine for sure. I think it'll be:

1) El Duque
    2) Glavine
    3) Pedro
    4) Trachsel

Or flip-flop 3 and 4.

I think Maine gets snubbed in order to not damage Pedro's ego.

Yes, Glavine has not looked great most of the 2nd half. It is going to be difficult making to the WS much less winning it However, you gotta believe. I believe it's possible for us to make it to and win the WS. It'll be difficult, but possible. That's why we play the games and anything can happen in baseball.

All League
    I'm a big proponent of not coasting through the end of the season, I think what they're doing is a mistake. It wouldnt surprise me if they lose in the 1st round especially with the lack of pitching

Pedro's going to start a game, it should be game 3 IMO. I think his performance pushes towards Trachsel pitching game 4 and keeping Maine available for early-inning rescue of an ineffective starter.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    History says they can
    History does not always repeat itself.

The Mets have lost seven of their last eight games and are 11-15 in September.

You better hope they can.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-28-2006 at 10:30 AM.

The NL is so bad that it is possible(although if Hou makes and Philly gets the WC it will be very difficult to beat Hou's big 3 in a 5 games series). Outside of '99 pedro was never a big game pitcher so the mets were going to have to bash their way to the WS regradless but w/o pedro it does make it more diffcult but the weak NL should help. The Mets are still the faves UNLESS they face Hou in rd 1.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    The NL is so bad that it is possible(although if Hou makes and Philly gets the WC it will be very difficult to beat Hou's big 3 in a 5 games series). Outside of '99 pedro was never a big game pitcher so the mets were going to have to bash their way to the WS regradless but w/o pedro it does make it more diffcult but the weak NL should help. The Mets are still the faves UNLESS they face Hou in rd 1.
    I think this is a fair assesment. I really do not want Houston to make it. I do think they won't make it and the Cards will scrape by and win the division. The Phillies worry me too wuth all those damn left handers, but I'm worried more about the Astros. The Phillies rep is get hot, streak, then get very cold.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Im not saying Im not concerned, because I certainly am --anytime your team performs as poorly as the Mets are, you have to be.

But, the rotations that the Mets will face are not markedly better than El Duque, Glavine, Maine, Trax with a possibility of Pedro.

Penny, Lowe, Maddox? That doesn't scare me too much, and that's probably the best of them. Lieber, Hamels, Wolf

The Mets may lose --they certainly are no juggernaut at this point in time, but they still have to be the favorite against any other team.

If their hitting does what it should do, and their starting pitching does an adequate job (say 3 runs over 6 inn.) the Mets should be fine.

I would love the Mets bats to wake up though.