Thread: Pen bound Pedro?

Pen bound Pedro?

Pedro Martinez doesn't feel he has to shut it down, but after his awful outing on Wednesday night, he admitted that he's not close to 100 percent.

"I've worked hard to try and get back, but obviously I'm not 100 percent," Martinez said. "I don't feel healthy." Martinez's strained right calf is making it difficult for him to push off the mound, and he's no longer optimistic that he'll be ready to start a game in the NLDS.

"I hope I'll be healthy enough to pitch in relief," he said. "Maybe I'll be able to go two or three innings." Randolph was noncommittal after the game. If Martinez has to pitch in relief, both John Maine and Steve Trachsel will be in the postseason rotation

All League
    Wow... big news. Pedro talking about himself as a relief pitcher ?! This is not good.

Wonder how Willie will setup the rotation ?? I still think we use Pedro as a starter and have Maine and/or Oliver relieve him if necessary.

Pedro doesn't have any command yet and I would not trust him to come into a relief situation with men on base. Plus the fact that he's never been a relief pitcher before.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm so glad we held onto Milledge, he such a 5-tool player

Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    I'm so glad we held onto Milledge, he such a 5-tool player
    Yeah, blame Milledge for Pedro's injuries

Come on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Yeah, blame Milledge for Pedro's injuries

Come on.
    I was talking about, not making a deal for a pitcher.

At the deadline, everyone thought it was a given that Pedro would be back for the playoffs at 100%.

I don't think any pitcher was available that was a difference maker anyway.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Bottom line, despite this injury to our top starter, we still are the favorites going into the NL playoffs.

Taking a step back, if at the beginning of the season someone told you that the Mets would be the favorites going into the playoffs and we held on to all of our prospects, you'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

Granted, looking back, if we knew the extent of Pedro's injury, we certainly would have proceeded differently.

Personally, the one deal i regret not doing at the break is not going after Abreu. The Yankees got him for a bag of balls and the Mets certainly could have offered something more as well as eaten the salary. That would have made our lineup unstoppable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Bottom line, despite this injury to our top starter, we still are the favorites going into the NL playoffs.

Taking a step back, if at the beginning of the season someone told you that the Mets would be the favorites going into the playoffs and we held on to all of our prospects, you'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

Granted, looking back, if we knew the extent of Pedro's injury, we certainly would have proceeded differently.

Personally, the one deal i regret not doing at the break is not going after Abreu. The Yankees got him for a bag of balls and the Mets certainly could have offered something more as well as eaten the salary. That would have made our lineup unstoppable.

Abreu??? Our lineup is fine, I dont think we need to invest into something we did not need. Beside the phillies wouldnt even had picked up the phone from a team in their division.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

ATLANTA -- The New York Mets managed to win their first NL East title since 1988 with Pedro Martinez battling injuries all season.

They will have to show that same resilience in the postseason.

The three-time Cy Young Award winner seems in no shape to pitch in next week's NL Division Series after getting knocked around badly in his final start of the regular season. The Mets had hoped to go with Martinez in Game 1, but it seems more likely that Orlando Hernandez or Tom Glavine will get the honor.

In fact, Martinez wonders if he'll be able to pitch at all with an ailing right calf that has transformed his pitches into batting-practice fodder. He headed back to New York on Thursday to get evaluated by team doctors.

"It's taken a lot away from me: my confidence and the location of my pitches," he said. "When you don't have the legs to push off and create velocity and locate your pitches, you're in trouble. And I can't locate right now."

Martinez (9-8) has lost four straight starts -- the first when his calf began hurting, the last three since coming off a monthlong stint on the disabled list. He looked downright awful against the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday night, giving up eight hits, seven runs and two homers in a 2 2/3 innings.

"He couldn't command his pitches," said Atlanta catcher Brian McCann, who hit the first of back-to-back homers off Martinez in the third. "He was getting behind in the count."

Martinez conceded that it would be tougher for the Mets to advance in the playoffs without him, though they've made it this far without a big contribution from their ace. He was bothered in spring training by a sore toe, went on the DL at midseason with an ailing hip and fell short of 10 wins for only the second time in his 14-year career.

"When I'm out or hurting, obviously we're not going to do as good," Martinez said. "Anytime you lose a No. 1 pitcher, one of your five starters, it's going to hurt you a little bit. But these guys are professionals. They know how to do things. They've done really, really well without me. I hope they can do that again and pick me up during the time I'm limited or away."

The Mets wrapped up the NL East title with nearly two weeks left in the regular season and looked to be a strong favorite to reach the World Series from a league that will have no other playoff team with 90 wins.

But, if Martinez is unable to go, New York would appear to have one glaring weakness: starting pitching. Beyond Glavine (14-7) and Hernandez (10-11 going into a start Thursday night), the other potential starters are Steve Trachsel, whose 15 wins are mitigated by an ERA of nearly 5.00, and six-game winner John Maine.

Martinez's teammates aren't giving up on their ace making a sudden recovery in time for the playoffs, though they're also preparing for the alternative.

"If something crazy happens and we're minus Pedro, somebody else will step up and get the job done," David Wright said. "We've been doing it all year. Somebody has always stepped up and filled the shoes."

Manager Willie Randolph reserved judgment on how he might use Martinez in the playoffs.

"Obviously, he didn't pitch too well," Randolph said. "We'll have to wait and see."

Martinez figures the manager has seen enough -- a 16.97 ERA over his last four starts, giving up 22 hits and 20 earned runs in 11 2/3 innings.

"The way it's looking right now, Willie will not have a tough decision about who should pitch Game 1," Martinez said. "Obviously, the other guys are in better shape than I am right now. Everybody can see that. I think it would be a bad decision for Willie to put me out there the way I look now."

When Martinez first strained his calf muscle, he didn't think it was that big a deal. Now he knows better.

"It affects my shoulder, it affects my legs, it affects my back. It affects everything, really," he said. "Those legs are everything. Without them, it's impossible to get the result you want."