Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - What need to happen for Jeter to win the batting title?

OT - What need to happen for Jeter to win the batting title?

what would he have to hit tommorow, and mauer...

Sad that the year he is hitting .345, another two hitters are right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker

My best guess, Jeter needs to be two hits better than Mauer on Sunday

So if Mauer goes 0 for 4, Jeter needs a 2 for 4

If Mauer goes 1 for 4, Jeter needs 3 for 4

But that's assuming both players have the same number of AB's ... in that case Jeter will probably win the batting title if he's two hits better than Mauer, but falls short if he's only one hit better

Technically he's one percentage point behind Muaer, but in actuality its a tad more than one PP ... so he probably needs to be two hits better on Sunday

JUST MY BEST GUESS, Thinker
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-30-2006 at 10:41 PM.

Mauer ain't playing tomorrow FWIW.

Hall Of Fame
    If Mauer goes 1-4 and Jeter goes 2-4...Jeter wins by .0001697.

Pretty wild

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51

Mauer ain't playing tomorrow FWIW.
    Well if he tries to sit on his lead, which is weak, he might get burned ... Just like Saturday ... he didn't play on Saturday and Jeter gained two or three points with a 3 for 3 day

He better go out there and win it on Sunday, cause I wouldn't count on Jeter losing it if I was Mauer

If you're Joe Mauer, that's a BAD GAMBLE ... I'd rather bet on myself than bet against Derek Jeter
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-30-2006 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Well if he tries to sit on his lead, which is weak, he might get burned ... Just like Saturday ... he didn't play on Saturday and Jeter gained two or three points with a 3 for 3 day

He better go out there and win it on Sunday, cause I wouldn't count of Jeter losing it if I was Mauer

If you're Joe Mauer, that's a BAD GAMBLE
    I agree, Jeter will win it if Mauer doesn't play. But according to the Twins official site, Mauer will probably rest.

Quote Originally Posted by CT. JETS FAN

If Mauer goes 1-4 and Jeter goes 2-4...Jeter wins by .0001697.

Pretty wild
    Awesome Job, CT

Would 2 for 4 put Jeter over the top if Mauer DOES NOT play, as Jetsman51 alerted us?

Awesome Job, CT

Would 2 for 4 put Jeter over the top if Mauer DOES NOT play, as Jetsman51 alerted us?
    No, Jeter would lose by .0007 or something.

Jeter's BA: 0.345659164

Mauer's BA: 0.34622824

Those are the numbers if Jeter goes 2-4.

Jets Insider VIP

Jeter HAS to Go 2/2 or Get Three Hits...

The actual batting averages up to 6 decimal points after today are:

Mauer: 0.346228

Jeter: 0.344660

In all likelihood, as said, Mauer is going to rest. He's a catcher and caught a lot of games this year. He's going to catch all the Twins playoff games so I don't doubt he's sits.

So, Jeter has to either go 2/2 or get 3 hits.

If Jeter goes 2/2 his average will be 0.346774. With 3 hits, 3/4 is 0.347266 and 3/5 is 0.346709.

I think Jeter has MVP in the bag anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC

The actual batting averages up to 6 decimal points after today are:

Mauer: 0.346228

Jeter: 0.344660

In all likelihood, as said, Mauer is going to rest. He's a catcher and caught a lot of games this year. He's going to catch all the Twins playoff games so I don't doubt he's sits.

So, Jeter has to either go 2/2 or get 3 hits.

If Jeter goes 2/2 his average will be 0.346774. With 3 hits, 3/4 is 0.347266 and 3/5 is 0.346709.
    Thanks SMC, Great Job

I can't believe Mauer is sitting out even if the Tigers lose tonite, and they're losing now

The division title would still be up for grabs, and that means HFA if the Twins were to meet Detriot in the ALCS

AND ... Mauer was off on Saturday, and there's no baseball on Monday, and there's a day off between Games 2 & 3 of the ALDS ... so he'd still have three days off this week!!, and the division title is still on the line!!

NO WAY Jeter would ever put his own personal accomplishments ahead of the team to that extent ... IMO it would be extremely selfish if Mauer sits out for a second consecutive day on Sunday, if the Tigers lose tonite and the division is still winnable, and that looks like the case right now

JMO

Hall Of Fame
    I admit...I''l be at the game but I'll tune my little radio to the Yankee game a few times to listen to John Sterling..

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks SMC, Great Job

I can't believe Mauer is sitting out even if the Tigers lose tonite, and they're losing now

The division title would still be up for grabs, and that means HFA if the Twins were to meet Detriot in the ALCS

AND ... Mauer was off on Saturday, and there's no baseball on Monday, and there's a day off between Games 2 & 3 of the ALDS ... so he'd still have three days off this week!!, and the division title is still on the line!!

NO WAY Jeter would ever put his own personal accomplishments ahead of the team to that extent ... IMO it would be extremely selfish if Mauer sits out for a second consecutive day on Sunday, if the Tigers lose tonite and the division is still winnable, and that looks like the case right now

JMO
    I agree with you if the Tigers lose tonight. The Twins should field their best lineup tomorrow, which includes Mauer.

The thing is, however, that the Tigers have the tie-breaker over the Twins via a 10-9 head-to-head record. The only way the Twins win the division is if they win tomorrow and the Tigers lose. Thus, from a manager's standpoint, there is likely some trepidation in putting out your regular lineup when your team does not control it's own fate.

Hall Of Fame
    So Tigers lose tonight.

Sunday, Twins have a chance to win division, get home field advantage and avoid the Yankees...and Mauer is going to take another day off?

If true, that's pretty weak and he is putting himself in front of his team's best interests.

Jets Insider VIP
    Joe Mauer will win it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinker

He just has to keep being the "media darling" that he is and he'll somehow win the batting title and the MVP.

All Pro

He better go out there and win it on Sunday, cause I wouldn't count on Jeter losing it if I was Mauer

If you're Joe Mauer, that's a BAD GAMBLE ... I'd rather bet on myself than bet against Derek Jeter
    Agreed.

Mauer is in the lineup today at DH

Jeter is obviously in there is well

So it all comes down to this!

All Pro
    Update:

Mauer is 1-2
    Jeter is 1-4

Jeter's going to need a hit and a lot of help.
    I think Mauer's got it.
    Last edited by nycdan; 10-01-2006 at 03:35 PM.

Mauer comes through 2-4