Russia Wins 2006 Homeless World Cup

30 September 2006, Russia has won the Cape Town 2006 Homeless World Cup, the international street soccer tournament changing lives.

Russia beat newcomers Kazakhstan in the finals today by one goal to nil in front of packed crowds at the Grand Parade.

Speaking at the press conference this morning Russia's Captain Shelaevskiy Viatcheslav said, "One of my strongest dreams has been realised. Kazakhstan are our good neighbours and good friends. I will never forget these days. Our main goal when we get home is the creation of a street soccer league. Football helped save me. I've made friends and if anything happens to me, I now have friends to help me."

Kazakhstan's Captain, Kalikov Yergali said: "I am very glad to have participated in this championship, especially in Africa. The venue for the Homeless World Cup gives us huge satisfaction. We are very impressed with the city of Cape Town. Russia are our brothers. Many thanks to sport that unites classes and people."

Mel Young, President and Co-founder Homeless World Cup, praised the players for their spirit at the tournament: "Congratulations to Russia, winners of the 4 th Homeless World Cup in Cape Town. Each and every player here stands proud, stands triumphant. You have represented your country with honour. You are all fantastic. Congratulations on a great tournament."

Mr. Adolf Ogi, Special Adviser to the United Nations Secretary-General on Sport for Development and Peace, sent his congratulations to the organisers and the hosts of the Cape Town 2006 Homeless World Cup:

"The Homeless World Cup, especially through its capacity to attract media attention, is an outstanding example of how the positive potential of sport can play a vital role in promoting health, education, development and peace. Like many other events, projects and initiatives, which take place all over the world without being noticed by the broad public, the Homeless World Cup uses sport as an innovative instrument to build bridges between people, to overcome cultural differences and to spread an atmosphere of tolerance."

Mr. Ogi expressed hope that, in view to the 2010 FIFA World Cup, the event would inspire all stakeholders in South Africa to initiate and further support projects using sport as a tool for development and peace.

In addition to the Homeless World Cup won by x

The Premier's Cup was won by Kenya

The City of Edinburgh Cup was won by Ireland

The City of Cape Town Cup was won by Zambia

The Big Issue Cape Town Cup was won by Scotland

The INSP Trophy was won by Burundi

Trophies were also awarded for:

Best Fair Play Team to Slovakia

Best Mixed Team to Paraguay

Best Female Player to Lindsay Cooper, Scotland

Best Male Player to Ronald Siame of Zambia

Best Newcomer went to Kazakhstan

Best Goalkeeper went to Elliott Clow of Canada

Each player received a medal for participating in the Homeless World Cup, uniting with 48 nations to represent their country, light up Cape Town, South Africa setting an example for 2010.

Team USA dissapoints again