Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Situational awareness as a citizen: Are you proactive or reactive?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Situational awareness as a citizen: Are you proactive or reactive?

I don't know how many times you have come across a person that has the characteristics of a serial killer or a pedophile. The question is: How much can you really do about it? In reality, we live around these people; loners that have been disbanded from their family roots, and are categorized as anti-social, child molesters, and even terrorists. They walk around us, look at our children, walk by your neighborhood, and less than an iota is done. We live on a reactive basis; we wait until something explodes: a rape, murder, kidnap, thatís our wake up call. Until then, we just assume everything will be alright, and continue our normal lifes. Furthermore, one of my biggest regrets ever was not stopping a potential child molester.

I was in the park attending my son's football game; next to a playground. I noticed a strange man staring at the little kids for a long time, and I noticed that he was all by himself with no children of his own. I approach the man and bluntly asked him his purpose of staring at the small children. He seemed nervous, and was very suspicious. He slowly got up and begun walking away. My gut feeling at that time was that he was a pedophile; he fitted the profile. I couldíve done something, maybe call the police or trying to follow this individual to his residence. But, again, I was reacting, and not been proactive. I know it is a gray area, and sometimes we could have a wrong assumption, but, deep in our hearts, we now they are around us, and we are just waiting for something bad to happen before we react.
    Last edited by Sergeant First Class; 10-03-2006 at 11:42 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    george bush is proactive........see where that got us?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not a political agenda

[QUOTE=ArmyJet]george bush is proactive........see where that got us?[/QUOTE]

And has nothing to do with our current war. As a citizen we should stand up for criminals, and be proactive. There should be a law that allows us to protect the innocent without law enforcement intervention, period!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say what you did was proactive, not reactive. If it was reactive you'd have done something after he had committed a crime. You did something before anything happened, that's proactive to me.

I agree that being proactive can be positive but it can go both ways, and some people can take it too far and/or abuse it.

By the way, Bush was reactive, he did it after 9/11...but he was proactive in trying to convince us that the 2 were legitimately connected.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didnt George, Jerry, Elaine, and Kramer go to jail for violating that law? :O

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sergeant First Class]And has nothing to do with our current war. As a citizen we should stand up for criminals, and be proactive. There should be a law that allows us to protect the innocent without law enforcement intervention, period![/QUOTE]

Thank you for your continued awareness. Many would not even have approached that person. You actions may have prevented something from happening. We all need to be a little more aware. I assume you are a serviceman and I thank you for all you have done for us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not condoning your actions, but it's not illegal to sit in a park if you don't have children.

I'm a firm believer in if you've commited no crime you have every right to not be harassed by anyone in most instances. Especially if you're just sitting in a park.

Bottom line, if you felt suspicious activity was going on, you should have notified police. It's not your right to ask a citizen what their purpose is in a public place, nor is it your right to question him.

You could have gone about it another way (making small talk, or as I said, calling the authorities).

JMO

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have an eleven year old daughter that my wife drives to school in the morning and I pick her up at night. This year she started the 6th grade and expressed interest in riding the school bus. The bus stop is a block and a half from our house so my wife thought that maybe we should look into it. We got all of the bus information and decided to let her try it. As an after thought my wife got onto familywatchdog.org and found out that a registered sex offender lives on the same corner as the bus stop. We called the school to complain and never got a response. We now have to put our complaint in writing to see if this gets a response. Needless to say my daughter is still being driven to and from school by her parents. As parents you just can never be too careful. There are people around who intend to do harm to our kids.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Officer, if I answer correctly, does that mean you won't give me a ticket?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to live in a paranoid, intrusive society where you are harrassed for being different

maybe this guy's wife just had a miscarriage ?

you just don't know

btw, the profile of a serial murderer is a white guy in his 30's who just went through a traumatic event

how many JI posters fit that profile ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at the Fireplace (little burger/hotdog/fries joint) on Route 17 north in Paramus (who here knows the Fireplace?). Anyway, my business associate and I were having lunch and we got up to throw out our trays when we saw a tall, middle-aged white guy (probably 45 or so) talking to a woman who was there with her son (couldn't have been older then 5 or so). This dude was noticeably strange and this woman is juggling her tray of food while also gathering salt, pepper, ketchup, etc. This guy is asking questions like, "What is the little boys name?" "How old is he?' etc. But it was the way he was asking that caught my attention. He wasn't asking and then replying with, "They are wild at that age. I know, my son is the same age." Etc. He wasn't even looking at the mother while talking to her; he was just staring at the boy.

Once the woman sat down with the boy the man sat a few tables away facing them. I then walked over to her and just asked her if she was here by herself and if she knew that guy at all. She said "No" and also said she was happy I approached her because she felt "creeped out." She informed me that her husband was coming to meet her there and I told her I'd hang out until he got there. He arrived within minutes and she thanked me again.

That was the first and only time ANYTHING even remotley close to that happened while I was around but this guy instantly raised a red flag with me. I felt compelled to make sure this woman and her son turned out alright. I still wish I knew who this guy was because I really, REALLY don't trust him and if he is what I thought he possibly could be .... he's still out there. :confused:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weird thread for a football forum, but I"m guessing there's not many folks hanging out in the "whatever forum" this fits in to.

The sex offender living near the bus stop is against the law in some states. Georgia recently seemed to have some controversy about this law, in that it supposedly was forcing some offenders to move due to the distance relative to school bus stops. Sounds like a good law to me.

It's always a good idea to be vigilant. Especially, when the safety of our youngsters are involved. I don't see anything wrong with speaking to the weird guy in the park. However, you essentially called him a sick perv with little to base that on. Of course he got nervous and went away...probably scared to death he was going to be run down after being accused of being a pedophile. Again, good to be vigilant, but a little tact should be in order as well.

The guy in the restaurant questioning the woman about her boy was creepy. However, you never know...he may have had his kid abducted, and thought he found him again...or something like that...Still, I hate to say it, but the ones that are clever and not so obvious are the ones I worry about more. In the end, I commend you for checking in on the lady and her child. I'm thinking too many people would have just minded their own business.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You did the Right thing man we ALL need to be that way. But be careful. I was in a similar sitch, I was with my family, & I watched a man, a while, & before I was about to approach him, His wife & daughter came over, (few). But boy I had him pegged as a pedophile. He still could have been one, he watched me watch him all around, looking at all the kids. People are weird.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about putting together and marketing a pediphile rehabilitation kit. I'd market it to anyone who has the urge to molest children. It would consist of a folding chair, a piece of rope and instructions on how to tie a noose. We can't prevent all of them from doing these things but maybe we can convince some of them to stop themselves.

Roc

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

All convicted sex offenders shoud get castrated

[QUOTE=RochesterJetFan]I was thinking about putting together and marketing a pediphile rehabilitation kit. I'd market it to anyone who has the urge to molest children. It would consist of a folding chair, a piece of rope and instructions on how to tie a noose. We can't prevent all of them from doing these things but maybe we can convince some of them to stop themselves.

Roc[/QUOTE]

Take the urge away for good.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sergeant First Class]Take the urge away for good.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://faculty-web.at.northwestern.edu/art-history/werckmeister/April_15_1999/Heil.jpg[/IMG]

EUGENICS IS TEH AWESOME!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan]I'm not condoning your actions, but it's not illegal to sit in a park if you don't have children.

I'm a firm believer in if you've commited no crime you have every right to not be harassed by anyone in most instances. Especially if you're just sitting in a park.

Bottom line, if you felt suspicious activity was going on, you should have notified police. It's not your right to ask a citizen what their purpose is in a public place, nor is it your right to question him.

You could have gone about it another way (making small talk, or as I said, calling the authorities).

JMO[/QUOTE]

just sitting there is no reason for alarm. The guy's answer to you should have been 'none of your goddamn business'.

At college, there was a guy who used to sit at the ice rink where me and some friends would go skate some weeknights. He would just sit in the crowd by himself and watch us go in circles.

We all thought this was totally weird/creepy until we found out he hat anteriograde amnesia (no short term memory, like Memento). He would go watch people skate because it was a form of entertainment that he could appreciate w/ his limitations.

Basically, just cause a guy is sitting at a park, doesn't mean he's a pediphile. Maybe he's in the middle of a 10 mile walk and needed a break. Maybe his wife just kicked him out of the house, maybe he's sitting there judging you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EricYellin]just sitting there is no reason for alarm. The guy's answer to you should have been 'none of your goddamn business'.

At college, there was a guy who used to sit at the ice rink where me and some friends would go skate some weeknights. He would just sit in the crowd by himself and watch us go in circles.

We all thought this was totally weird/creepy until we found out he hat anteriograde amnesia (no short term memory, like Memento). He would go watch people skate because it was a form of entertainment that he could appreciate w/ his limitations.

Basically, just cause a guy is sitting at a park, doesn't mean he's a pediphile. Maybe he's in the middle of a 10 mile walk and needed a break. Maybe his wife just kicked him out of the house, maybe he's sitting there judging you.[/QUOTE]
    Bingo.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ArmyJet]george bush is proactive........see where that got us?[/QUOTE]

Yup, no attacks on U.S. soil in over 5 years! :thumbup:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This country's laws are based on the principle of "reactive laws".

The opposite in its extreme is government sanctioned repression, and is also subjective; what one may be considered justice in a situation, may not be considered so in the eyes of another.

Laws are reactive (post facto) because we must be as objective as possible when issuing judgement and that can only be possible through the obtainment of as many facts as possible. That can only be accomplished after the crime has been commited.