Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: The Bottom line with the Yankees Payroll.

  1. #1

    The Bottom line with the Yankees Payroll.

    Just to clear this up so the arguments can stop:

    Fact: The Yankees Payroll is a huge amount more than any and most other teams.

    Fact: The Yankees contend for a championship every year

    Fact: Without The huge payroll, the Yankees would not be very good. (Imagine stripping 100 mill off the payroll yankees fans, be honest.)

    Whether you find it Morally reprehensible, which I do, is your own choice. Some do and some dont.

    It is what it is.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mianus CT
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    Just to clear this up so the arguments can stop:

    Fact: The Yankees Payroll is a huge amount more than any and most other teams.

    Fact: The Yankees contend for a championship every year

    Fact: Without The huge payroll, the Yankees would not be very good. (Imagine stripping 100 mill off the payroll yankees fans, be honest.)

    Whether you find it Morally reprehensible, which I do, is your own choice. Some do and some dont.

    It is what it is.

    FACT thier are about 10 owners equally or more wealthy than Steinbrenner.

    Tell them to get off thier ass and you need to spend money to make money plain and simple.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade
    FACT thier are about 10 owners equally or more wealthy than Steinbrenner.

    Tell them to get off thier ass and you need to spend money to make money plain and simple.
    Their teams don't generate as much as the Yanks. Why should the owner lose money in order for his team to win?

  4. #4
    Morally reprehensible?? Give me a break. These guys aren't peaceworkers, they are professional athletes.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mianus CT
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Their teams don't generate as much as the Yanks. Why should the owner lose money in order for his team to win?
    Umm here is a Clue in the 80's the yankees were losing money also, but steinbrenner still went and bought players it's called laying a foundation and again you have to lose money to make it.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    2,995
    GEEZ! There have been about 10 threads about this just since the playoffs started!!
    My fellow Yankee fans: they will never accept our explanations. It could be written down as bible and they would still not agree or understand.
    Jealousy breeds ignorance!
    GEORGE SPENDS THE MONEY BECAUSE HE CHOOSES TO AND PLAYS BY THE RULES THAT EXIST! IF THEY INSTITUTE A CAP THEN HE WILL SPEND WITHIN THOSE GUIDELINES!
    Why is that such a difficult concept???

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Albany, New York
    Posts
    2,436
    Amazing.

    Mets are in the playoffs (with their OWN high payroll), and Met fans are STILL lecturing Yankee fans about how horrible we would be w/o our payroll. There isn't ANYTHING better to talk about in Metland? You guys rocked yesterday.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TD C-Mart
    Amazing.

    Mets are in the playoffs (with their OWN high payroll), and Met fans are STILL lecturing Yankee fans about how horrible we would be w/o our payroll. There isn't ANYTHING better to talk about in Metland? You guys rocked yesterday.

    inferiority complexes are tough to conquer

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Woodall Rocks!
    GEEZ! There have been about 10 threads about this just since the playoffs started!!
    My fellow Yankee fans: they will never accept our explanations. It could be written down as bible and they would still not agree or understand.
    Jealousy breeds ignorance!
    GEORGE SPENDS THE MONEY BECAUSE HE CHOOSES TO AND PLAYS BY THE RULES THAT EXIST! IF THEY INSTITUTE A CAP THEN HE WILL SPEND WITHIN THOSE GUIDELINES!
    Why is that such a difficult concept???
    what he said.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    Just to clear this up so the arguments can stop:

    Fact: The Yankees Payroll is a huge amount more than any and most other teams.

    Fact: The Yankees contend for a championship every year

    Fact: Without The huge payroll, the Yankees would not be very good. (Imagine stripping 100 mill off the payroll yankees fans, be honest.)

    Whether you find it Morally reprehensible, which I do, is your own choice. Some do and some dont.

    It is what it is.


    I'm a Mets fan, how can you find this so morally reprehensible knowing that the mets have the third highest payroll in the league at 101 Mil, and it is only going to go up. How morally reprehensible will it be next year when the mets win 110 games with a 150 mil payroll after signing Zito and Schmidt? Honestly, unless you're a royals fan this is in some sense the pot calling the ketle black.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by DiePatsDie
    I'm a Mets fan, how can you find this so morally reprehensible knowing that the mets have the third highest payroll in the league at 101 Mil, and it is only going to go up. How morally reprehensible will it be next year when the mets win 110 games with a 150 mil payroll after signing Zito and Schmidt? Honestly, unless you're a royals fan this is in some sense the pot calling the ketle black.
    Giddy-friggin-up!!! A sensible non-Yankee fan!!

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Albany, New York
    Posts
    2,436
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    inferiority complexes are tough to conquer
    Honestly, what IS the deal?

    I haven't hung around Mets threads, I haven't commented in any - I don't really care. If we're in the world series against each other I'll worry about it (and deal with being called an immoral fan, about how I should be ashamed of myself, etc.) but that's it.

    Mets looked great yesterday and are a few games away from the NLCS, but the Yankees still come up in these threads. I just don't get it.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by DiePatsDie
    I'm a Mets fan, how can you find this so morally reprehensible knowing that the mets have the third highest payroll in the league at 101 Mil, and it is only going to go up. How morally reprehensible will it be next year when the mets win 110 games with a 150 mil payroll after signing Zito and Schmidt? Honestly, unless you're a royals fan this is in some sense the pot calling the ketle black.

    don't you just love the Holier-than-Thou Mets fans? The act is getting so old.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    currently CT/eventually NC
    Posts
    3,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    Just to clear this up so the arguments can stop:

    Fact: The Yankees Payroll is a huge amount more than any and most other teams.

    Fact: The Yankees contend for a championship every year

    Fact: Without The huge payroll, the Yankees would not be very good. (Imagine stripping 100 mill off the payroll yankees fans, be honest.)

    Whether you find it Morally reprehensible, which I do, is your own choice. Some do and some dont.

    It is what it is.
    WHAT DO YOU SAY WE SAVE THE MORAL REVULSION FOR THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE LIKE:

    ....PEOPLE SHOOTING UP SCHOOLHOUSES
    ....PEOPLE IN POWER HITTING ON THE YOUNGSTERS
    ....SUICIDE BOMBERS
    ....DARFUR

    STUFF LIKE THAT.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by CT. JETS FAN
    WHAT DO YOU SAY WE SAVE THE MORAL REVULSION FOR THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE LIKE:

    ....PEOPLE SHOOTING UP SCHOOLHOUSES
    ....PEOPLE IN POWER HITTING ON THE YOUNGSTERS
    ....SUICIDE BOMBERS
    ....DARFUR

    STUFF LIKE THAT.

    EXACTLY. This is baseball, people. This isn't real life. These guys get paid MILLIONS to play a children's game, and it's fun for fans to unwind and watch after a long day of real life.




    Dear Mets fans,

    Your team is doing GREAT! Stop crying about the Yankees payroll! There are worse things in the world to worry about, so just enjoy wathcing your team.

  16. #16
    ...and THAT'S the bottom line concerning the Yankees payroll.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by DiePatsDie
    I'm a Mets fan, how can you find this so morally reprehensible knowing that the mets have the third highest payroll in the league at 101 Mil, and it is only going to go up. How morally reprehensible will it be next year when the mets win 110 games with a 150 mil payroll after signing Zito and Schmidt? Honestly, unless you're a royals fan this is in some sense the pot calling the ketle black.

    Ugh... Here we go again. I made this thread to avoid this, but some unscrupulous poster had to make Jermaine revert to ass-kicking mode...

    The third-highest payroll (and it's the fourth now since Clemens was signed by the Astros), is NO-WHERE NEAR the Highest payroll. How can I call it reprehensible? In case you need a math lesson, 100 Mill is half of 200 Mill. If you were to add a Whole new Mets Roster on top of the Current Mets Roster, you would equal the Yankee Payroll. If you were to Add Jeter, Giambi, Matsui, Sheffield, Randy Johnson, Arod to the Mets payroll, you would still not equal the Yankees Payroll. Look my fellow "Mets Fan"... 100 M is right around the top of the Normal Payrolls. Around us seperated by less than 20M dollars is like 15 teams. That's basically like being one or 2 marquee players away from each other. On the Other hand the Yankees are seperated by over 60 Million dollars from the next team... Thats a huge difference. And thats just the Red Sox. The Mets are "in the bubble" of teams with high payroll. The Yankees are 100M or TWICE that bubble. The two are uncomparable.

  18. #18
    here is my thought, not that it matters amongst 300 other threads on this:

    the yankees abuse the system which is a BAD system, the mets also do but unlike the yankees still have some kind of a cap.......all this aside the yankees have not won any titles with this 200 million dollar team and prob wont......the team that did win was made up of guys like petitt, bernie, jeter, paul oneil, and mariano.....but those days are long gone.

    mets fans stop calling out the yankees for spending money, the mets would spend it too if they could or thought profitable.........please someone tell me that fred W is not spending more money because he feels it would disgrace the game.

    and yankees fans do what you have done on most part, and dont pretend the yankees are winning by building a TEAM.......they win because everyone in your lineup makes 10 mil outside of the poor robinson cano and half your pitchers are also in the teens....

    thats my 2 cents.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    Just to clear this up so the arguments can stop:

    Fact: The Yankees Payroll is a huge amount more than any and most other teams.

    Fact: The Yankees contend for a championship every year

    Fact: Without The huge payroll, the Yankees would not be very good. (Imagine stripping 100 mill off the payroll yankees fans, be honest.)

    Whether you find it Morally reprehensible, which I do, is your own choice. Some do and some dont.

    It is what it is.
    Fact: Without a huge payroll.. The Mets, the Dodgers, the Cardinals wouldnt be very good.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,846
    And the Mets want to go after pitching this offseason, which will likely make them the 2nd highest payroll in baseball. YOu'll see their payroll elevate every year too I bet.


    The fact is, the Mets payroll wasn't extremely high, until they decided to add 50 + million to it int he past couple years to make their team what it is today. Jermaine is complainging now, but in teh next couple of years when the Mets are at like 150-175, he will stop complaining. funny how those things work.


    The bottom line:
    Get off your ass and spend money and lose money like the Yankees organization does. It is dedicated to winning, even though the Yankees lose money. Maybe they should be like that. You get into baseball for the love of the game, not to invest and make money off that team. That is pathetic. Complain about the Marlins or Royals or Devil Rays, not the team that is trying to make the league what it should be.
    Last edited by rep; 10-05-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us