Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spanish a requirement in NJ schools?

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like

Spanish a requirement in NJ schools?

Not sure if this has been discussed here yet, or if it even warrants a discussion, but what are the thoughts on this? My stepdaughter started 3rd grade this year and has a required course in Spanish. Not optional, required, just like Math, Science and English.

I'm pretty perturbed by this, not that I have anything against learning another language, but why a requirement? Especially considering how far american kids are behind in the universal languages of science, math, music and arts...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChanTheMaster]Not sure if this has been discussed here yet, or if it even warrants a discussion, but what are the thoughts on this? My stepdaughter started 3rd grade this year and has a required course in Spanish. Not optional, required, just like Math, Science and English.

I'm pretty perturbed by this, not that I have anything against learning another language, but why a requirement? Especially considering how far american kids are behind in the universal languages of science, math, music and arts...[/QUOTE]

Just more ammo as to why the Govt should get out of the education business......but I know I know, they know whats best for me!!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's not necessarily a bad thing, kids all over the world (especially europe) are pretty proficient with English as a second language. I think a second language should be mandtory, but you should have a choice of what to take.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmm, what would it be replacing? i'd rather them take spanish than gym

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lawyers, Guns and Money]Just more ammo as to why the Govt should get out of the education business......but I know I know, they know whats best for me!![/QUOTE]

YEah right....and let private corporations come in with big money and teach the kids value....like how to work for big corporations.

No thanks..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]hmm, what would it be replacing? i'd rather them take spanish than gym[/QUOTE]

Hence why there is an obescity problem in our children--NO EXERCISE

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two thoughts come immediately to mind:

--Useful

--Wrong

It's a useful skill, but it's sad we've come to a point where Spanish is all but required in America now, where one grouo refuses to join us all in the melting pot, and instead demands the rest of us change to fit their culture. Useful, but wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve]Hence why there is an obescity problem in our children--NO EXERCISE[/QUOTE]

kids are fat because they go home, eat junk and sit in front of the tv/PC all night... not because they spend 45 mins in the outfield of a wiffleball game. i agree kids need to exercise, but i think the school day should be spend on their minds. they get out at 3:30-4, plenty of time for sports/exercise after.

i'm not really looking to get rid of gym, persay, but i think learning a second language is much more valuable

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Two thoughts come immediately to mind:

--Useful

--Wrong

It's a useful skill, but it's sad we've come to a point where Spanish is all but required in America now, where one grouo refuses to join us all in the melting pot, and instead demands the rest of us change to fit their culture. Useful, but wrong.[/QUOTE]

learning spanish is a tremendous leg up in the business world. many kids in asia and europe are required to learn english. it's certainly useful, but is it wrong?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    By learning spanish, your lessining the barrier faced by people from spanish speaking countries to intergrating into the wider american community. So aside from it giving your kids a handy skill for life it also helps the community work better together.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ragnarok14]By learning spanish, your lessining the barrier faced by people from spanish speaking countries to intergrating into the wider american community. So aside from it giving your kids a handy skill for life it also helps the community work better together.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it help to if they were required to learn American English before they could get jobs or Green Cards. It would be nice if I could work some where in S. Florida and not need a translator.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New York Mick]Wouldn't it help to if they were required to learn American English before they could get jobs or Green Cards. It would be nice if I could work some where in S. Florida and not need a translator.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there is that too, we here in australia are just about to put a 'must know basic english' clause in our requirements on become residents. But I really dont see the harm in kids learning basic spanish, aside from mandarin its probably the most useful of the non english languages.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New York Mick]Wouldn't it help to if they were required to learn American English before they could get jobs or Green Cards. It would be nice if I could work some where in S. Florida and not need a translator.[/QUOTE]There are studies that show that learning a foreign language at an early age can actually help children learn English better.

Also, there are two things to consider. Whether you like it or not, the U.S. already has the second largest spanish speaking population of any country in the world, Mexico is number 1. Also, seeing as how the latino population is the largest growing segment of the population and some predictions have latinos being in the majority of this country within the next 50 years, kids are just gonna have to learn to speak spanish to survive.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod]There are studies that show that learning a foreign language at an early age can actually help children learn English better.

Also, there are two things to consider. Whether you like it or not, the U.S. already has the second largest spanish speaking population of any country in the world, Mexico is number 1. Also, seeing as how the latino population is the largest growing segment of the population and some predictions have latinos being in the majority of this country within the next 50 years, kids are just gonna have to learn to speak spanish to survive.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Whether it's right or wrong - it is. It's reality. The world is always changing and we have to adjust to it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]it's not necessarily a bad thing, kids all over the world (especially europe) are pretty proficient with English as a second language. I think a second language should be mandtory, but you should have a choice of what to take.[/QUOTE]
    True, but English is a very important language to learn for later in life from a business standpoint, what value does Spanish have?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]hmm, what would it be replacing? i'd rather them take spanish than gym[/QUOTE]
    I'd rather music, gym or an ELECTED language before a requirement in Spanish...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]learning spanish is a tremendous leg up in the business world. many kids in asia and europe are required to learn english. it's certainly useful, but is it wrong?[/QUOTE]
    The size of the Spanish speaking market is no where near as large as the English speaking market. I understand it's growing in this country, but if giving kids a leg up in busines is the goal of the program, why not force them to learn Chinese or Japanese?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod]There are studies that show that learning a foreign language at an early age can actually help children learn English better.
    [/quote]
    There's also studies about how much regular music classes help developemnt, or how far behind we are in math and sciences

[quote]
    Also, there are two things to consider. Whether you like it or not, the U.S. already has the second largest spanish speaking population of any country in the world, Mexico is number 1. Also, seeing as how the latino population is the largest growing segment of the population and some predictions have latinos being in the majority of this country within the next 50 years, kids are just gonna have to learn to speak spanish to survive.[/QUOTE]
    Not if our government would kick the illegals out and make them apply for visa and cards in english as well as pass a citzenship test in English.

In a society that has become too accomadating, we are now allowing another culture to swallow our own...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve]YEah right....and let private corporations come in with big money and teach the kids value....like how to work for big corporations.

No thanks..[/QUOTE]

"Evil" Corporations!!! Seriously, i know the govt will never get out of the education business....but it has been a complete failure at it. I would love to see unlimited tax credits in education. And unless you are in the teachers union and worrying about losing jobs for your constituents, I can not see any good reason not to do it.

First, I would liken it to what happened to the postal service once competition form Fed ex, UPS etc were able to ship Parcels..... what happened???? The post office became a lot more efficient!! It still needs a ways to go. The quality of education at every school would increase, or it wouldn't be competitive and cease to exist

Second, it would align parents interest with their kids......parents are more likely to care about their child's education if they are actually paying for it!! Most parents wouldn't tolerate cutting class, slacking off etc if its coming out of their wallets

Third, if parents/students don't like the curriculum, it is easy to switch schools to one you approve. If you want to send your child to a math intensive school, it should be possible etc... BS like what Baltimore is trying to do wouldn't be forced down everyone's fault

Even poor students would benefit!! Class sizes would be smaller in "poor" communities, hence would improve learning conditions

The only losers I see are people in the teachers union

Milton Friedman (and i think Sowell might have too) has written a lot about this topic is is far more eloquent than I. Ill see if I can find some of his text on it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lawyers, Guns and Money]
    Third, if parents/students don't like the curriculum, it is easy to switch schools to one you approve. If you want to send your child to a math intensive school, it should be possible etc... BS like what Baltimore is trying to do wouldn't be forced down everyone's fault

.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, NJ....I think Ive watched to many episodes of The Wire and have Baltimore on the mind