View Poll Results: Who is the greatest President in American History?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • George Washington

7 15.22%
  • Thomas Jefferson

0 0%
  • Abraham Lincoln

17 36.96%
  • James K Polk

0 0%
  • Teddy Roosevelt

3 6.52%
  • Woodrow Wilson

0 0%
  • FDR

6 13.04%
  • Harry Truman

2 4.35%
  • Ronald Reagan

9 19.57%
  • Other

2 4.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the greatest president in American History?

TMahoney

Who is the greatest president in American History?

Simple question, please provide a brief statement of who and why after you vote.
    Last edited by CarlSpackler; 10-06-2006 at 04:51 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I would say Teddy Roosevelt but it's an uneducated answer. I wasn't around doing his time so I am just going on what I have read and heard. I'm surprised that you didn't put JFK on your list.

TMahoney
    [QUOTE=New York Mick]I would say Teddy Roosevelt but it's an uneducated answer. I wasn't around doing his time so I am just going on what I have read and heard. I'm surprised that you didn't put JFK on your list.[/QUOTE]

I think JFK had a lot of potential and I personally admire him for nailing Marilyn Monroe while in office and for being Irish Catholic like myself, but I can't at all justify him as being the best in American History.

But if any of you so choose, thats why the "Other" option is there.

Banned
    I voted Lincoln..He saved the the country from civil war.FDR a close second

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Honest Abe, imagine what the country would be like if he had not united the states.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin]Honest Abe, imagine what the country would be like if he had not united the states.[/QUOTE]

He was terrible! He suspended habeus corpus, jailed dissidents, forced Americans into a draft to fight an illegal war, let his generals commit atrocities. How the hell did he get a memorial?!

Veteran
    Ronnie

[QUOTE=quantum]He was terrible! He suspended habeus corpus, jailed dissidents, forced Americans into a draft to fight an illegal war, let his generals commit atrocities. How the hell did he get a memorial?![/QUOTE]

:bigcry:

He was also faced with the extraordinary situation of having the country literally ripped apart over the issue of slavery, and managed to resolve the issue, survive the war, unify the country once again, and abolish slavery.

Of course, if he had the media scrutiny back then that we enjoy so much now, Lincoln might have been impeached and jailed as a war criminal. :rolleyes:

Think big picture.

Bewildered Beast
    I think quantum is providing satire for our enjoyment. That is exactly what Lincoln did and thank goodness for that.

I am sure that the posters at that time raked him over the coals for those atrocities.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=pauliec]:bigcry:

He was also faced with the extraordinary situation of having the country literally ripped apart over the issue of slavery, and managed to resolve the issue, survive the war, unify the country once again, and abolish slavery.

Of course, if he had the media scrutiny back then that we enjoy so much now, Lincoln might have been impeached and jailed as a war criminal. :rolleyes:

Think big picture.[/QUOTE]

dude- he was being completely sarcastic.....

All League
    I voted for Lincoln. Kept the Union together through the Civil War and on top of that ended slavery.

FDR's a close second for his "New Deal" policies.

[QUOTE=quantum]He was terrible! He suspended habeus corpus, jailed dissidents, forced Americans into a draft to fight an illegal war, let his generals commit atrocities. How the hell did he get a memorial?![/QUOTE]
    How could anyone consider Lincoln? Freedoms were illegally eroded under his administration.

Ronald Reagan was a very good maybe even a great president -

but you have to be completely partisan to believe he was "the best"

i voted for teddy

Veteran
    I loved learning about ANdrew Jackson, that guy had a cool life and didnt take $h!t from anyone

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]dude- he was being completely sarcastic.....[/QUOTE]

LOL, my bad... I'm jonesin' for the weekend. :O

interesting link summarizing all the scholarly surveys

basically a 5 horse race between Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson and the two Roosevelts

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_United_States_Presidents[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    From what I have read slavery wasn't even a major part of the war. I thought the war was basically over the fact the south wanted to be it's own country, have it's own money and things of that nature and getting rid of slavery was just part of the big picture not the main cause.

I voted Lincoln for pretty obviuous reasons, but mostly his fortitude in the face of many factors.

A close second in my mind is Washington. I've read much about howe fragile we were in our formative years and how good old GW was the glue that held it together.

It really is not a fair question. I wonder how everyone would have percieved Lincoln with today's media. Just look at the difference between the media today and the media even forty years ago with Kennedy. The meida used to respect the president and keep things confidential. The entire thing with Clinton's impeachment never would have happened during the kennedy administration.

People are saying FDR is one of the greatest. Perhaps, but today there is some speculation that he knew about Pearl Harobr before it happened and did not stop it because he wanted an isolationsit America to become pro-war. Not a peep was reported on that back then. Today, people accuse Bush of mastermining 9/11, and this actually gets published in numerous 'reputable' sources.

I don't think the media will ever allow for a good president ever again because of the two party system.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=mallamalla]It really is not a fair question. I wonder how everyone would have percieved Lincoln with today's media. Just look at the difference between the media today and the media even forty years ago with Kennedy. The meida used to respect the president and keep things confidential. The entire thing with Clinton's impeachment never would have happened during the kennedy administration.

People are saying FDR is one of the greatest. Perhaps, but today there is some speculation that he knew about Pearl Harobr before it happened and did not stop it because he wanted an isolationsit America to become pro-war. Not a peep was reported on that back then. Today, people accuse Bush of mastermining 9/11, and this actually gets published in numerous 'reputable' sources.

I don't think the media will ever allow for a good president ever again because of the two party system.[/QUOTE]

That seems to be fairly actuate.