Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Reverse Psychology

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Reverse Psychology

I would bat AROD clean-up .. tonite!

He's 10 for 19 off Kenny Rogers with 5 HR's

You can't hide someone in the lineup, CAN'T DO IT, eventually the BIG AB is going to find him, whether you hit him 4th, 6th, 8th or 9th, eventually the BIG AB will find him

IMO it was a mistake to install Arod in the 6 hole to start the series ... it was almost like a self fullfilling prophecy ... it was almost like saying you expect him to fail, so we'll try to minimize the damage you can do by sliding you down to #6

This is not the most confident player in the world to begin with, and IMO that only made matters worse ... and again, I wouldn't care if you really could hide him, but you can't, as witnessed on thursday, you can't hide him from the BIG AB's

So IMO you're much better served if you say we believe in you, we're gonna sink or swim with you in the cleanup spot, cause we believe you'll get it done ... and there's no better time to deliever that message than tonite, verses a pitcher he absolutely kills

We have to get this guy untracked or we're not winning the WS anyway, so we might as well shoot for the stars tonite ... if we're gonna get this guy going, and we must, this is the best chance we'll ever have

Its using reverse psychology ... instead of fearing the struggling player, show confidence in him ... especially verses a pitcher he kills ... and maybe, JUST MAYBE, that will get him going

Maybe he'll finally have a BIG NITE and ride that momentum for the remainder of the post season

JMO
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 10-06-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't hurt, nothing else has worked.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with 'Peake, at this point in time, just try ANYTHING. It's clear that A-Rod has some serious confidence issues (and might not be mentally stable enough to be a professional ball player in a pressure-packed environment) so who knows what will work.

A-Rod would probably love to be in Texas again, or a dead-end place like Kansas City.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    I agree with 'Peake, at this point in time, just try ANYTHING. It's clear that A-Rod has some serious confidence issues (and might not be mentally stable enough to be a professional ball player in a pressure-packed environment) so who knows what will work.

A-Rod would probably love to be in Texas again, or a dead-end place like Kansas City.
    Sorry to say but it looks like he doesn't have (make up or psyche) what it takes to make it in NY... ,
    Last edited by FloridaJet; 10-06-2006 at 11:15 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so. His playoff numbers out of a Yankee uniform are phenomenal. A place like Minnesota or Oakland would be just right for him. However, it's becoming more and more obvious that he can't take the New York spotlight. I defended Arod earlier in the season, but I can't any longer until he gets the job done this postseason. And if he doesn't, the only way he stays in a Yankee uniform is if no one wants to pay for him(which is unlikely because I believe the Yankees are only responsible for 15 mill of his contract).

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's such a mental midget. Man up and play the goddamn game.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's such a mental midget. Man up and play the goddamn game.
    LOLOLOL!!!!

Seriously, I heard a while back on some radio show, that he wants to be liked by everybody. He has to realize, not everyone is going to like him and that's their problem.

For right now, the Tigers like him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom line

We can mock Arod from now until the cows come home, but you better know we need this guy to be "AROD" if we have any designs on winning the world series, cause this pitching staff is not going to carry us there

The Yankees need to pitch well, well enough to make the offense matter, but this team will win or lose on the strength of its lineup and Arod has to be "AROD" if we are to maximize the offensive output

So this might not be a pleasant thought, but we have to get this guy going ... IMO its a must ... we must make every effort to get this guy going, and I'd start be installing him in the 4 hole tonite verses a pitcher he kills ... a pitcher, I might add, who is not exactly devoid of being mentally weak himself

If there's one player on the planet who makes Arod seem like a rock, like a mental giant, its Kenny Rogers

When Arod is in a big spot he looks tight

No doubt he tightens up in a big spot, but ...

When Rogers is in a big spot he looks petrified

Kenny Rogers on the mound in the post season is the closest thing you will ever see to a condemned man being marched to the electric chair ... he treats that pitchers mound like its the gas chamber

This might be the last/best shot we'll ever have to get Arod untracked ... IMO we should try to make the most of this opportunity, and that means installing Arod in the cleanup spot and saying WE BELIEVE IN YOU
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 10-06-2006 at 11:41 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to say it, but even as a Yankee fan, what has transpired so far is possibly the worst possible scenario for the Yankees...they have a tough road to climb if they plan on advancing.

The old adage about "anything can happen in a 5 game series" has held true, and the Yankees are in deeper danger than I think most realize or want to admit.

They split at home, surrendering home-field advantage to the Tigers.

Their "untouchable" line-up looked outmatched and foolish in the loss against the Detroit bullpen.

We now must rely on an inconsistent and injured Johnson and even less consistent Wright to win on the road to even escape the first round.

The attempt to take the pressure off New York's favorite self-esteem crisis has failed miserably...he still collapses like a house of cards under the slightest of pressure.

The Yankees are yet to face Bonderman.

I know I may be accused of being all doom and gloom, but unless someone can show me a silver lining that I am missing, I think this might be another dissapointing fall in the Bronx.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He should have been batting cleanup the whole time instead of Sheff... A-Rod is the better hitter of the two and lets not forget that Sheff just came off major wrist surgery.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffboy

I know I may be accused of being all doom and gloom, but unless someone can show me a silver lining that I am missing, I think this might be another dissapointing fall in the Bronx.
    Kenny Rogers = Silver lining

This cat makes Arod seem like Mr. October

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Kenny Rogers = Silver lining

This cat makes Arod seem like Mr. October

I hope that's true tonight. Should be interesting.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    TONITES LINEUP

CF Johnny Damon
    SS Derek Jeter
    RF Bobby Abreu
    3B AROD
    1B Jason Giambi
    C Jorge Posada
    LF Hideki Matsui
    DH Bernie Williams
    2B Robby Cano

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    cleanup you say . . . fascinating

eLOT

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow GJ&H!

Whoda thunk it!?!?!?!?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure Arod will come through big time with many hits off Kenny Rogers.