Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: OT: New York a 1-team town

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: New York a 1-team town

New York a 1-team town
    by John Harper, NY Daily News
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-386815c.html

LOS ANGELES - It was impossible not to see the symbolism in all of the drama. On a night when the Yankees exited the postseason stage, right there for all to see on the Dodger Stadium video board during pregame batting practice, the Mets looked ready to claim it as their own.

Will they finally claim ownership of New York again as well, when all is said and done this month? Last night was not the night to argue against such a notion.

It wasn't only that the Mets finished off the Dodgers, winning, 9-5, last night to complete the three-game sweep of their division series. It was the way they did it, with heart and grit, storming right back after blowing a 4-0lead, as if welcoming the opportunity to prove their championship mettle. Kind of like the Yankees used to do it.

Don't think the Mets didn't revel in the timing, moving on as the Yankees went off the tracks. There were Yankee-related chants in the locker room amid all the champagne spraying, and some private "can you believe it?" comments of delight from key members of the organization.

As comatose as they went against the Tigers, the Yankees were the one team the Mets didn't want to face in the World Series, because of the potential damage their lineup could have done to this crippled starting rotation. The Mets still have to get there, of course, but it's hard to see how they won't right now. Though the Dodgers put up a fight last night, they weren't in the same weight class with the Mets in this series.

And honestly, have you seen anything in the other series between the Cardinals and the Padres to make you think either team can stop the Mets from winning the pennant?

Naturally, nobody wanted to admit how happy he was about the turn of events. But perhaps only Willie Randolph, the old Yankee, could summon up any sympathy for the Bombers.

"I know they were looking forward to (a Subway Series)," he said. "I know they feel badly because everyone thought they'd get there, but no matter what people may say about a juggernaut or Murderer's Row, you gotta play the game.

"I feel for them, but I'm happy my guys are moving on. New York should be proud of this team."

Randolph wasn't getting ahead of himself, but there seems to be more belief now than ever in the Met clubhouse. Maybe nothing will be easy the rest of the way, because the state of the Mets' starting pitching almost assures more wild games like this one, as the Dodgers rallied for five runs in the fourth and fifth innings.

But in the end, the Mets' bullpen again demonstrated that it can dominate the late innings. Between that and a lineup that scored 19 runs in these three games, the Mets once again look like far and away the best team in their league.

In the next series, of course, they'll have to start Oliver Perez at least once, a frightening prospect they avoided with the victory last night.

On the other hand, Steve Trachsel won't be pitching after a two-week layoff. Actually, Trachsel pitched pretty well last night, and probably shouldn't have been pulled when Randolph went to the pen in the fourth inning.

Randolph made it clear from the first game in this series that he will lean heavily on his bullpen, and rightly so, but Trachsel had breezed through three innings. And even when he got in trouble in the fourth, it was largely because of an infield single and a blooper to right-center that should have been caught.

But Randolph saw four straight hits and, as he put it, "I didn't want the game to get away. I wanted to close the deal tonight."

This time, however, the quick hook backfired, when the Dodgers rallied in the fifth for three more runs against Darren Oliver, Chad Bradford and Pedro Feliciano, giving L.A. a 5-4 lead.

Then came a pivotal moment, as Dodgers manager Grady Little put Nomar Garciaparra and his bad leg up to pinch-hit for reliever Mark Hendrickson with the bases loaded and a chance to break open the game.

You had to wonder why Randolph didn't have a righthander warming up in the pen. If he's not going to use Roberto Hernandez there, maybe he's not going to use him at all.

Randolph, however, said it was simply that he believes in Feliciano, and "I wanted to force their hand, make them use their righthanded hitters off the bench early."

It was a dangerous position to take, but Randolph seems to be making all the right moves, much like his mentor, Joe Torre did for so many Octobers. This one worked, too, as Feliciano got Nomar on a weak ground ball to end the inning.

THE METS made a statement by coming right back with three runs, and that was that. It was as if they understood the opportunity to seize the moment.

The stage is all theirs. The bright lights don't seem to faze them.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look, the Mets did well, but if you think this puts even the slightest dent in the Yankee armor, think again.

Win 24 more Championships, then puff your chest.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's Jets day...**** the mets...**** the yankees...it's all about the Jets today. Give it up.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny2Coles
    It's Jets day...**** the mets...**** the yankees...it's all about the Jets today. Give it up.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets go Mets!!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's really sad though that a big city like NY doesn't dominate more in the major sports markets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I give all the credit due to teh Mets they where in 1st place through out the whole season - they did it without Pedro for a long time and now with out Pedro or El Duque - Wille has this team firing on all cylinders i find it amazing how the reporters jump the band wagon - When they announced El duqie and Pedro out the reporters all but ended the seaosn for the Mets - Yankees win game 1 and jeter goes 5 for 5 and its all yankes all the time - now 4 days later they say 1 team 1 city - what a crock from those writers - Come March 30, 2007 what ever the outcome may be for teh Mets or whom ever the Yankee manager will be the papers will be jocking teh yAnkees again -

I am a yankee fan and i think its a joke!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    Look, the Mets did well, but if you think this puts even the slightest dent in the Yankee armor, think again.

SAR I

Typical skankee fan response... whah wah whah we won more championships...

BTW -- why time are the Skanks playing?

LETS GO JETS... Beat Jacksonville.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    It's all about what you are doing today, not what happened in the past.

If it was all about the past, I'd be going around bragging about the greatness of the 49ers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel
    Typical skankee fan response... whah wah whah we won more championships...

BTW -- why time are the Skanks playing?

Tee-time is scheduled for 12:00

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    u can't fire Torre REDICULIOUS Congrats Metsies!! Don't gloat however!

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanFL
    It's really sad though that a big city like NY doesn't dominate more in the major sports markets.

What major sports franchise has been more dominate than the Yankees? Not a fan. Just thought I read it somewhere.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fifty one
    What major sports franchise has been more dominate than the Yankees? Not a fan. Just thought I read it somewhere.
    Not talking about the Yanks...how long did it take the Rangers? How about those Knicks? Nets ever win one? It's been awhile for the Islanders...shall we talk about our Jets?!

Just saying, with all the sports franchises in NY, you would think the teams (leave the Yanks out) would have a better track record in the playoffs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Umm...

if you think this puts even the slightest dent in the Yankee armor, think again.
    Well, with a name like TSAR, CZAR, SIRE, CAESAR, etc - what team other them the nazi-spirited Yankmees would you follow oh lord of the bored?

The Yankees lost 24 championship series - YES?

The Yankees failed to make it to the World Series 75% of the time in the last 100 years while 100% of the time having the highest payroll - YES?

The American league had only 10 teams and only one round of playoffs when the Bankmees won 20 of their championships - YES?

Sour Grapes doesn't suit you oh SARek of Vulcan

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    And I bet more than half of them you weren't even alive for.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    Well, with a name like TSAR, CZAR, SIRE, CAESAR, etc - what team other them the nazi-spirited Yankmees would you follow oh lord of the bored?

The Yankees lost 24 championship series - YES?

The Yankees failed to make it to the World Series 75% of the time in the last 100 years while 100% of the time having the highest payroll - YES?

The American league had only 10 teams and only one round of playoffs when the Bankmees won 20 of their championships - YES?

Sour Grapes doesn't suit you oh SARek of Vulcan
    I assume you're talkin about World Series. Well the Yankees have lost 13 buddy, not 24.

Ummmm, not really. The Yankees have reached 39 World Series in the last 100 years. That comes out to about missing the World Series 60% of the time.

And the last point you made makes absolutely no sense at all. When the Jets won their only Super Bowl, how many teams were in the AFL? 10.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    SAR i hate to break it to you but aside from the 4 title stretch in the late 90s the yankees have been mediocre at least in my lifetime........so you go ahead and take credit for the 1927 WS but the yankees mistique has gotten crapped on recently by more then one team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    How many rings do you wear, champ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Yanks have a great past and it is not wrong to be proud of that but unfortunatly they did not have it this year.

Maybe the Mets do. Good Luck!

Hopefully the Yanks will be back to Championship form next year.