Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Official: Torre coming back

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    943
    Post Thanks / Like

    Official: Torre coming back

    opened his press conference saying george told him hes gonna be the manager next year, as per m&tmd

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,248
    Post Thanks / Like





  3. #3
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a Yankee fan, I'm disappointed. He's a great strategist, but the players disappear in the post season. Can't tolerate it. Tony Dungy leaves Tampa after a dozen playoff appearances and Gruden wins the Championship.

    The fire that burned in Torre just isn't there any more, and his players are affected.

    SAR I

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very glad to hear it. When Torre does leave I have a bad feeling it's going to be like the 80s all over again: second place every year and revolving door of managers.

    Torre lends a great deal of stability. Also, people forget that before Torre, the Yanks had a lot of trouble signing free agents because of the atmosphere of chaos that prevailed.

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    943
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan
    Very glad to hear it. When Torre does leave I have a bad feeling it's going to be like the 80s all over again: second place every year and revolving door of managers.

    Torre lends a great deal of stability. Also, people forget that before Torre, the Yanks had a lot of trouble signing free agents because of the atmosphere of chaos that prevailed.
    me too, im glad hes coming back...he does bring a great deal of stability and his players are all behind him, except maybe sheffield who couldnt leave fast enough for me

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a METS fan but the Yanks should have grabbed

    Lou Pennella

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    As a Yankee fan, I'm disappointed. He's a great strategist, but the players disappear in the post season. Can't tolerate it. Tony Dungy leaves Tampa after a dozen playoff appearances and Gruden wins the Championship.

    The fire that burned in Torre just isn't there any more, and his players are affected.

    SAR I
    The fire shouldn't have to come from the manager. Torre never was a firey guy, even in 96. The problem is twofold. They need top notch, younger starters and they need firey everyday players like they used to have in O'Neill and Brosius. I'd trade three or four sluggers for a good young starter and a 290 hitter with a temper.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,516
    Post Thanks / Like
    is it Torree or is it the players

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ambxc22
    opened his press conference saying george told him hes gonna be the manager next year, as per m&tmd

    did he say WHY?

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMike
    I am a METS fan but the Yanks should have grabbed

    Lou Pennella
    And, therefore, your opinion on the inner workings of the Yanks is worthless. Did you care what the Pat fans thought of who should have coached the Jets? Of course not.

    Anyway, the problem is not Torre. It's the soap opera of ARod. In the 3 years before ARod arrived (and the arrival of the first Big Money player in Mussina) the Yanks went to 2 world series. In the 3 years with ARod, they have lost in the 1st round twice.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,495
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for Torre. I feel bad for him because he has to deal with Steinbrenner's **** all the time. I think the Yanks are better off with Torre than without him.

    Btw, the media has been calling for his head, saying he should be fired, and the Yanks would be better off without him. However, Torre's players backed him up and in an ESPN poll asking whether Torre should be fired... 74.5% said no.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,399
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will there be trouble in the clubhouse next year, given that Torre is clearly on the bubble?

  13. #13
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    get rid of A-Rod and call up a hungry young enthusiastic 3B, Melky Cabrera-esque.

    Get rid of Sheffield, put Giambi back at first (share duties with Andy Philips/Craig Wilson), and put Melky in right.

    That's what I would do, personally.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow
    Will there be trouble in the clubhouse next year, given that Torre is clearly on the bubble?
    No. Other than the fact that it will remain a lifeless clubhouse unless they are able to start turrning over the personnel.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    As a Yankee fan, I'm disappointed. He's a great strategist, but the players disappear in the post season. Can't tolerate it. Tony Dungy leaves Tampa after a dozen playoff appearances and Gruden wins the Championship.

    The fire that burned in Torre just isn't there any more, and his players are affected.

    SAR I

    how many championships has Torre won? You're spoiled. Imagine you were a Jets fan...

  16. #16
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow
    Will there be trouble in the clubhouse next year, given that Torre is clearly on the bubble?

    He really won't be on the bubble as next year is the final year of his contract.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    currently CT/eventually NC
    Posts
    3,771
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    get rid of A-Rod and call up a hungry young enthusiastic 3B, Melky Cabrera-esque.

    Get rid of Sheffield, put Giambi back at first (share duties with Andy Philips/Craig Wilson), and put Melky in right.

    That's what I would do, personally.
    Paulie..put Melky in right?

    What would you do with Abreu?
    Last edited by CT. JETS FAN; 10-10-2006 at 02:00 PM.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lawn Guyland
    Posts
    1,157
    Post Thanks / Like


    LETS GO METS!!!

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    And, therefore, your opinion on the inner workings of the Yanks is worthless. Did you care what the Pat fans thought of who should have coached the Jets? Of course not.

    Anyway, the problem is not Torre. It's the soap opera of ARod. In the 3 years before ARod arrived (and the arrival of the first Big Money player in Mussina) the Yanks went to 2 world series. In the 3 years with ARod, they have lost in the 1st round twice.


  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    As a Yankee fan, I'm disappointed. He's a great strategist, but the players disappear in the post season. Can't tolerate it. Tony Dungy leaves Tampa after a dozen playoff appearances and Gruden wins the Championship.

    The fire that burned in Torre just isn't there any more, and his players are affected.

    SAR I
    what do u care the yankees are winning it next year as per your previous post........shouldnt matter who the manager is

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us