Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLDS: Mets Need Games 1 and 2

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

NLCS: Mets Need Games 1 and 2

Due to our pitching woes, I think the Mets are going to have to come out firing on all cylinders. I think the Mets need to take games 1 and 2 at home. We need to get wins out of Glavine and Maine because I think you have to be really nervous with Trachsel against Carpenter (an extremely lopsided matchup) and Perez against anyone.

Sure, the series isn't over if we lose one of those games, but I don't like going to St. Louis with those two guys pitching.

Anyone have thoughts on the matchups?
    Last edited by EY; 10-10-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow you are so clairvoyant, the Mets already won games 1 and 2 of the NLDS.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EricYellin
    Due to our pitching woes, I think the Mets are going to have to come out firing on all cylinders. I think the Mets need to take games 1 and 2 at home. We need to get wins out of Glavine and Maine because I think you have to be really nervous with Trachsel against Carpenter (an extremely lopsided matchup) and Perez against anyone.

Sure, the series isn't over if we lose one of those games, but I don't like going to St. Louis with those two guys pitching.

Anyone have thoughts on the matchups?
    Seriously, I really think the Mets will clobber the STL pitching staff.

Just check out the OPA against LHs for the Cards staff, it is brutally bad. Their pen blows as well. Kinney, Johnson, Flores, Wainwright, yuck.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wainwright is actually pretty solid...but other than that, you may see your ole' buddy LOOPER!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneChrebet
    Wainwright is actually pretty solid...but other than that, you may see your ole' buddy LOOPER!
    LH hit him pretty well.

And how did I forget Looper?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carpenter has a shot to win 1 game against trach.. And thats just a small chance. I have a feeling Williams would pitch instead of Perez

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I would pitch Ollie in game 3 against Perez. Might as well use him against Carpenter and have an even matchup or better in the other 3 game of the 1st 4 games. And who knows, if he decides to bring his A game, maybe we even win it (clearly not counting on it).

Considering Dave Williams for the roster is a mistake, IMHO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    I would pitch Ollie in game 3 against Perez. Might as well use him against Carpenter and have an even matchup or better in the other 3 game of the 1st 4 games. And who knows, if he decides to bring his A game, maybe we even win it (clearly not counting on it).

Oliver Perez is a mistake if he's on the roster. The man to go with in game 4 is Williams. He faced St. Louis twice this year, once with the Reds, and did very well...i think something like 5 runs in 13 innings of work. Oliver Perez is a train wreck. Also, don't forget in Game 4 Jason Marquis is the likely starter for the Cards...and he's a horror show too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that it's very important for the Mets to take the first two games, but I'm also pretty confident that they will. I just see them shelling Weaver and Suppan. I agree that I'm nervous about three and four though... Particularly when Oliver Perez takes the mound... That guy SUCKS. No control of his pitches... That's the one game in this series I'm confident we're gonna lose.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets
    Oliver Perez is a mistake if he's on the roster. The man to go with in game 4 is Williams. He faced St. Louis twice this year, once with the Reds, and did very well...i think something like 5 runs in 13 innings of work. Oliver Perez is a train wreck. Also, don't forget in Game 4 Jason Marquis is the likely starter for the Cards...and he's a horror show too.
    I agree. I really wish Dave Williams was pitching instead of Perez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

MUCH Better option then perez right now. Williams had 1 bad outing and 5 really good outings.. Perez head just isnt right, right now

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    MUCH Better option then perez right now. Williams had 1 bad outing and 5 really good outings.. Perez head just isnt right, right now
    i guess i like the high risk high reward option. Both pitchers are pretty bad options and will likely get pulled before the 5th.

i think Oliver has the better chance of pitching a gem. if he's losing the strike zone (which is a likelihood), he'll get pulled anyway, real quick.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    the mets will definitely win game 1...jeff weaver???? youll clobber him

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i guess i like the high risk high reward option. Both pitchers are pretty bad options and will likely get pulled before the 5th.

i think Oliver has the better chance of pitching a gem. if he's losing the strike zone (which is a likelihood), he'll get pulled anyway, real quick.

Wow. You must of not watched much baseball in august to compare the 2. Williams was Nails! He had 1 off game, and he never pitched again. I question that decision by the Mets

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oliver Perez is a joke, how they have more faith in him than Williams is baffling. There's like a 1/10 chance he actually gets his **** together and puts together 6 good innings.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cards take it in 7

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Jets Fan
    Cards take it in 7
    Hope not. Mets in 6, an easy 6.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Jets Fan
    Cards take it in 7
    I am going to call out the Cubbie squad on you...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    Wow. You must of not watched much baseball in august to compare the 2. Williams was Nails! He had 1 off game, and he never pitched again. I question that decision by the Mets
    Im not disputing the fact that Williams pitched better in his meaningless games in August.

I simply think Perez is the better option for game 4 (although id rather throw him in game 3).

In my mind, Williams is the type of pitcher that will get absolutely crushed in the playoffs. There is a large probability that Perez won't pitch well either. I just like the upside of Perez more. Either pitcher probably won't see the 5th.

Has nothing to do with me not watching baseball in August.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Did the Mets release their line-up for this series yet? I know they have to do it today.