Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Matsuzaka

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like

    Matsuzaka to the yankees......I hope!

    All right Yanks fans it is time to start thinking about next year and we all know what we need. PITCHING!!!!

    This guy is gooooood most of us saw him in the WBC and although he will cost us I think he is exactly what we need! Kick ass starting pitching.

    according to SI.com MLB teams can now persue him.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

    I think he is our best choice for starting pitching

    any opinions guys?
    Last edited by LI2OH; 10-11-2006 at 10:29 AM.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    All right Yanks fans it is time to start thinking about next year and we all know what we need. PITCHING!!!!

    This guy is gooooood most of us saw him in the WBC and although he will cost us I think he is exactly what we need! Kick ass starting pitching.

    according to SI.com MLB teams can now persue him.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

    I think he is our best choice for starting pitching

    any opinions guys?
    Matsuzaka has some absolutely sick stuff. I would love for the Mets to sign him along with Zito, as with Pedro's health and Glavine/El Duque's age we really need to sign 2 pitchers this offseason.

    I doubt we could get both, but wow if we could.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    anyone smell a Yankees-Mets bidding war?

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,590
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    anyone smell a Yankees-Mets bidding war?
    What war? We all know if Steinbrenner really wants to get the guy, there's no way in hell any team will be able to outbid the Yankees for him.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan44
    What war? We all know if Steinbrenner really wants to get the guy, there's no way in hell any team will be able to outbid the Yankees for him.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan44
    What war? We all know if Steinbrenner really wants to get the guy, there's no way in hell any team will be able to outbid the Yankees for him.
    Except the Mets.

    We have ALOT more money to spend then You guys do. Especially with all the un-spent money that we are making from SNY, and a huge to-be hole in our pitching staff, we are going to be looking for a big splash. Don't forget that.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mets fans should concentrate on this year you have a real chance to win the WS!

    Besides after the way this year ended for us I don't think anyone is gonna out bid the Boss for any pitcher he wants.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,590
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    Except the Mets.

    We have ALOT more money to spend then You guys do. Especially with all the un-spent money that we are making from SNY, and a huge to-be hole in our pitching staff, we are going to be looking for a big splash. Don't forget that.
    Sorry, won't happen. As many other Mets fans have pointed out (and defended to the death), their team doesn't go out spending huge money on free agents to help the team on a regular basis. They're focused on home grown talent. Far be it from them to take a tactic that even remotely resembles the Yankees' one.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but "sick stuff" alone doesn't equate to success in the MLB. I'm weary of any veteran player or pitcher who has not played against major league talent and then projecting them to have success in the MLB.

    Contreras has had 1 good year, that's it and he was one of the best Cuban pitchers of all times. El Duque has been good, but his success has not been anywhere close to what it was with Cuba.

    Godzilla is also a shell of what he was in Japan. The guy was a 50 homer machine and can barely get 30 in the MLB. The only one who carried over his success was Ichiro. The others, be them from Cuba or Japan have come no where close to being the same player. Heck, Hideki "Fat Toad" Irabu was an unmitigated bust after being the Nolan Ryan of Japan.

    So, if I was the Yanks, I'd be proceeding very cautiously in pursuing Matsuzaka.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan44
    Sorry, won't happen. As many other Mets fans have pointed out (and defended to the death), their team doesn't go out spending huge money on free agents to help the team on a regular basis. They're focused on home grown talent. Far be it from them to take a tactic that even remotely resembles the Yankees' one.
    Not exactly. The Mets like a little of A (Pelfrey) and a little of B (Matsuzaka/Zito)

    Unlike the Yankees with only 3 players who were in the MLB Draft on their roster. (Cano, Wang, were all bought International Talent much like Matsuzaka)

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Sorry, but "sick stuff" alone doesn't equate to success in the MLB. I'm weary of any veteran player or pitcher who has not played against major league talent and then projecting them to have success in the MLB.

    Contreras has had 1 good year, that's it and he was one of the best Cuban pitchers of all times. El Duque has been good, but his success has not been anywhere close to what it was with Cuba.

    Godzilla is also a shell of what he was in Japan. The guy was a 50 homer machine and can barely get 30 in the MLB. The only one who carried over his success was Ichiro. The others, be them from Cuba or Japan have come no where close to being the same player. Heck, Hideki "Fat Toad" Irabu was an unmitigated bust after being the Nolan Ryan of Japan.

    So, if I was the Yanks, I'd be proceeding very cautiously in pursuing Matsuzaka.

    I think this may be a lil different b/c this guy was great in the WBC. While it is not the MLB he pitched against MLB players and the "best players" from other countries on a big stage and performed.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    Not exactly. The Mets like a little of A (Pelfrey) and a little of B (Matsuzaka/Zito)

    Unlike the Yankees with only 3 players who were in the MLB Draft on their roster. (Cano, Wang, were all bought International Talent much like Matsuzaka)
    Honestly guy, you know that George will not let the Mets out bid him on a player that he not only needs but really wants (assuming he wants this guy)

    He wants to be the talk of the town all the time and this guy would not let the Mets beat him in something he can control ($$$)

  13. #13
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    Honestly guy, you know that George will not let the Mets out bid him on a player that he not only needs but really wants (assuming he wants this guy)

    He wants to be the talk of the town all the time and this guy would not let the Mets beat him in something he can control ($$$)
    With Matsuzaka, it will be a blind auction process. So what does George bid in order to ensure that he gets his services? $12m, $15m, $20m?

    I don't know if the Mets are even interested, but its not a foregone conclusion he's going to the Yankees.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    With Matsuzaka, it will be a blind auction process. So what does George bid in order to ensure that he gets his services? $12m, $15m, $20m?

    I don't know if the Mets are even interested, but its not a foregone conclusion he's going to the Yankees.
    I don't think so either, I just hope he does. I was just trying to say that he will go after him hard (if he wants him and I hope he does) and will do everything he can not to lose him (especially to a good team in the same town)

    Like I said b4 he will be expensive but I think he will be worth it.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    I think this may be a lil different b/c this guy was great in the WBC. While it is not the MLB he pitched against MLB players and the "best players" from other countries on a big stage and performed.
    That was only a couple of games with guys who have not gotten a full scouting report on him. We're talking about the long haul here if you are signing him to big bucks. Assuming that you sign him to a 4 year deal (customary for pitchers now) you want at least 3 top notch years out of him.

    Even Irabu fared well when he first started but once hitters adjusted to him, he was done. None of the WBC participants had time to adjust to him, thus, I don't think that tournament is a fair barometer to judge him.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    That was only a couple of games with guys who have not gotten a full scouting report on him. We're talking about the long haul here if you are signing him to big bucks. Assuming that you sign him to a 4 year deal (customary for pitchers now) you want at least 3 top notch years out of him.

    Even Irabu fared well when he first started but once hitters adjusted to him, he was done. None of the WBC participants had time to adjust to him, thus, I don't think that tournament is a fair barometer to judge him.
    I C ur point. Who would you go after first if you were the Yanks?

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    With Matsuzaka, it will be a blind auction process. So what does George bid in order to ensure that he gets his services? $12m, $15m, $20m?

    I don't know if the Mets are even interested, but its not a foregone conclusion he's going to the Yankees.
    The Mets have scouted Matsuzaka for months, much like the Yankees have.

    And the Blind Auction Process according to reports I have seen could possibly have the winner giving between 20 and 30 million just for the RIGHTS to negotiate with him. Considering George is going to have no clue what the Mets (Or any other teams offer in Baseball will be for him), he is just going to have to put in his bid and hope that nobody else tops it.

  18. #18
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope this guy doesn't turn out to be another... ummm... what the hell was his name.... hmmm

    Yankees pitcher about 6-7 years ago, supposed to be THE pitcher from Japan... Steinbrenner called him a Fat Toad once he started sucking terribly. Help me out with his name. Ichiro something?

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    currently CT/eventually NC
    Posts
    3,771
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    I hope this guy doesn't turn out to be another... ummm... what the hell was his name.... hmmm

    Yankees pitcher about 6-7 years ago, supposed to be THE pitcher from Japan... Steinbrenner called him a Fat Toad once he started sucking terribly. Help me out with his name. Ichiro something?
    Hideki Irabu

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    I C ur point. Who would you go after first if you were the Yanks?
    If I was rebuilding the pitching staff, where I start with is Wang. He's the ace, they should just accept it. Now they need some good, young pitchers for the 2 to 5 spot.

    The biggest and best chip they have is ARod. I would trade him for a stud, young MLB ready pitcher such as Jared Weaver or Ervin Santana or others out there (yes, they're out there). Of course, that deal will include other players and prospects. Just from reports, there is a considerable market out there for ARod and the team trading for him will "only" be paying $16 million per year (the Rangers are picking up the remaining $9 million per). Incidently, I'd stay away from NL pitchers such as Dontrelle Willis. I like Willis, but he has a 3.8 ERA in the NL, a pitcher friendly league and that scares me. He'd easily be a 4.7 ERA pitcher in the AL and that is simply not a top of the rotation ERA.

    Then I'd see if Philip Hughes is ready. By all indications he is. Stick Michael says he's ready and of anybody in the Yankee organization I trust it is Stick Michael (the architect of the 90s dynasty).

    With those 3 slots, I would okay with Johnson being a 4th starter and even Mussina being 5th (at a waaaayyy reduced price). As crazy as it seems, I wouldn't mind having Pavano as a 5th starter. He's better than Jared Wright. With that, it looks like a pretty good young staff:

    1) Wang
    2) Santa/Weaver, etc.
    3) Hughes
    4) Johnson
    5) Mussina/Pavano/anyone else I could find whom I may like better than the two mentioned.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us