Thread: OT: baseball fans, etiquette

OT: baseball fans, etiquette

i was at the met game last night - my first baseball post season. i am also a jets season tix holder. i gotta say, quite surprisingly, baseball fans are lame. i think a meaningless jet regular season game is so much more "amped up" than the home NLCS game that i witnessed last night. i can't describe the whole thing in words but it just felt very blah.

at least where i sit for jet games (124) people KNOW the game of football. stuff they say/scream are usually on the money/insightful and at times very funny. spontaneous cheers are awesome & again, on time, on the money.

people around me last night at shea either were mentally challenged at baseline or just plain didn't know the rules & strategies of baseball. stuff that were being yelled out were just annoying and incorrect. we had guys CONSTANTLY "arguing" balls & strikes from the upper deck! every check swing for the other team HAD to be a strike and by a met was not. most annoying of all was this random standing up and sitting down for no reason, no logic. just b/c they felt like it - you know, it's baseball!

how could this be? i'm a met fan too but i'd rather watch this at home. does anyone else feel the same way?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

They sounded pretty loud on Beltran's HR. I agree that the crowd isn't very juiced early on, but the further into the playoffs you go, the more of those "fans" are just corporate suits. I'll try and do my part tonite.

Quote Originally Posted by jets19keyshawn
    i was at the met game last night - my first baseball post season. i am also a jets season tix holder. i gotta say, quite surprisingly, baseball fans are lame. i think a meaningless jet regular season game is so much more "amped up" than the home NLCS game that i witnessed last night. i can't describe the whole thing in words but it just felt very blah.

at least where i sit for jet games (124) people KNOW the game of football. stuff they say/scream are usually on the money/insightful and at times very funny. spontaneous cheers are awesome & again, on time, on the money.

people around me last night at shea either were mentally challenged at baseline or just plain didn't know the rules & strategies of baseball. stuff that were being yelled out were just annoying and incorrect. we had guys CONSTANTLY "arguing" balls & strikes from the upper deck! every check swing for the other team HAD to be a strike and by a met was not. most annoying of all was this random standing up and sitting down for no reason, no logic. just b/c they felt like it - you know, it's baseball!

how could this be? i'm a met fan too but i'd rather watch this at home. does anyone else feel the same way?

its baseball, how long can you continuously stay amped for?

Hall Of Fame
    Maybe it's just difficult to stay amped for 354654352 games in a season.

It was a playoff game. You have a higher percentage of people who are just there for the event than there would at a regular season game (baseball, football, whatever). You get fewer die-hard fans and more bandwagon jumpers who got tickets through business relationships.

Baseball games, I don't care if it is the playoffs or not, are generally boring

Baseball games are way different than football games.

At baseball games, everyone wants to sound like their Tim McCarver and analyze every stupid play and pitch, when the reality is they're going back to work tomorrow to run the register at Baby Gap and brag about how they were "this close" to Cliff Floyd.

I was at last night's game and Game 1 of NLDS. Thought the crowd was great for the NLDS game, but last night it really felt at times like a regular season game with a lot of people in the stands. Part of it was anxiety as Weaver shut the Mets down for a while, but even after the Mets took the leade I didn't feel like the crowd was what it should be late in a playoff game.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon
    It was a playoff game. You have a higher percentage of people who are just there for the event than there would at a regular season game (baseball, football, whatever). You get fewer die-hard fans and more bandwagon jumpers who got tickets through business relationships.
    DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner!!

Veteran
    Its definitely a combo of the "suits" and the "event". The bigger the game, more and more people at the game have no idea whats going on....look at the superbowl for instance...mostly suits and people that are loaded that are there just to say when their friends ask what they did that weekend they can say..."well, muffy and i went to san diego for the weekend and took in the super bowl"......

Back to the quietness....
    Ina pitchers duel that has a total of 4 or 5 hits up until the 6th inning, its obvious to me that the crowd would be taken out of the ballgame.

Actually that was the best case scenario for the Cards...get the fans out of it early. Luckily Beltran turned the tables and the Mets cruised the last few innings.

I'll be there tonight so hopefully it'll be a 6-0 victory and the place will be rockin' all night (might be tough against carpenter though)

All Pro

There has been a change over time as ticket prices have gone up dramaticallly. The majority of tickets seem to be owned by businesses. Those businesses distribute their tickets to (1) bigwigs at the company; or (2) clients. The tickets that used to be bought by passionate baseball fans are now used by casual fans or bandwagaon jumpers and their even less knowledgeable families. The net effect of this is that a lot more of the most knowledgeable and passionate fans are watching the games at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon
    exactly. those ticket prices prevent a lot of the real fans from attending

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    the further into the playoffs you go, the more of those "fans" are just corporate suits.
    Agreed Jumba. The farther you go the more corporate suits show up. Real fans have trouble acquiring and affording tickets to games while big corporations hand out prime seats to anyone in the company that wants them.

Yeah, only the rich corporate scum get tickets the further on it goes, it's really ****ed up... Trust me if you were sitting next to me at a mets game you would here some of that Jets passion you are used to

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I wasn't there last night, but I was there for both NLDS games, and my take was that the place was absolutely electric --for game 1 more than 2, but it definitely had that post season feel.

Im guessing that part of it has to do with last night being a pitcher's duel. While seeing 2 great pitching performances has its benefits, its not going to bring out the huge ovations like a slugfest does.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Im guessing that part of it has to do with last night being a pitcher's duel. While seeing 2 great pitching performances has its benefits, its not going to bring out the huge ovations like a slugfest does.
    I didn't think the crowd was so bad, but after tonight's game I changed my mind. People were just sitting around, wouldn't even get up during 0-2 counts much less make noise. Where was the cheering ??!! I heard one weak ass "Let's Go Mets" chant tonight, one half ass Jose chant, and several mumbled Lo Duca Italian song chants.

I was watching the Tigers game early and they got up and got loud for everything. They were waving their towels all game. Every out, they went buck. It was a thing of beauty to watch.

Schluberator & Gadfly

I have the ability to tune everyone else out, with the only other thought being, how low is my beer and do I have anything to eat. You have to focus and don't let the nitwit's distract you. Of course it has it's hazard's, like when your GF or wife are with ya. That can be annoying!