Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Wagner vs Mariano Rivera

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Billy Wagner vs Mariano Rivera

Postseason Numbers:
    Wagner - 7.714 ERA in 9.1 IP 8ER 2 Saves 1 Win 1 Loss
    Rivera - 0.799 ERA in 112.2 IP 10ER 34 Saves 8 Wins 1 Loss

I mean seriously. I've heard a lot of comparisons about who was better, and many mets fans trying to say Wagner was just as good.

I think we can let the numbers speak for themselves... There simply is no comparison, despite what Wagner has done in the regular season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    But Billy Wagner started the enter sandman thing first,though

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    Think Rivera's got it playing in the golf cart? Who cares? The song sucks anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    I mean seriously. I've heard a lot of comparisons about who was better, and many mets fans trying to say Wagner was just as good.
    I can safely say there's never been a Mets fan who thought Wanger was as good as Rivera. We're too smart for that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    Think Rivera's got it playing in the golf cart? Who cares? The song sucks anyway.
    I was kidding Jumba!!!

Go get some sleep!!!

You sound grumpy!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can safely say there's never been a Mets fan who thought Wagner was as good as Rivera. We're too smart for that.
    I agree. I don't know who said Wagner was better than Rivera. I'd rather have Rivera anyday.

Mo comes in and there's a 98% chance that the game is over. Wagner comes in and that number is like 85%.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    rep, I think Billy Wagner himself said it best on 10/9/06 :

"I could care less about the Yankees. We have nothing to do with them. Our job is to play the National League and whoever's in the World Series. So the Yankees don't concern us."

This might be tough for you to swallow, but the NY sports world is not engulfed in whether the Yankees or the Mets have a better closer. It might be time for you to let the Yankees go for a month or two. They lost in 4 and neither Rivera nor Wagner is going to change that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can safely say there's never been a Mets fan who thought Wanger was as good as Rivera. We're too smart for that.
    any reasonable intelligent baseball fan knows that rivera is the best there ever was. and even rivera has faultered. wagner is very good.....sometimes an inning like yesterday's 9th inning happens, there's nothing you can do. these guys are human. wagner is still just about as automatic as you can get though. obviously rivera is in a different class, but there aren't any other closers i'd take over wagner besides rivera. that said, as nasty as wagner's fastball/slider combination can be, i'd love to see him develop another effective pitch for next year....mostly because his fastball has lost about 3 mph over what it used to have. and while 97 mph is still pretty good, an effective changeup or a splitter would be a nice addition for him. he doesn't miss as many bats as he used.....he's getting a little older and should probably think about making some adjustments. at least that's what i would be working on with him if i was peterson.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    seriously. if mad dog moved to another market and there was a radio host there that did the AHHHHHHH GOOD AFTERNOON thing too, he'd stop doing it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey, dont talk crap about Metallica and Richard Cheese

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16
    seriously. if mad dog moved to another market and there was a radio host there that did the AHHHHHHH GOOD AFTERNOON thing too, he'd stop doing it.

man is this enter sandman issue played out or what? honestly, who gives a rat's ass what song the guy plays when he comes out? he could play new kids on the block for all i care, just go out and get hitters out. this issue is so stupid, why even bother to keep bringing it up?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    man is this enter sandman issue played out or what? honestly, who gives a rat's ass what song the guy plays when he comes out? he could play new kids on the block for all i care, just go out and get hitters out. this issue is so stupid, why even bother to keep bringing it up?
    lol, take a chill pill. someone said that mad dog said that when they were talking about the enter sandman thing, but the thing is, who in their right mind would use the SAME exact weird ass entrance as mad dog, thats the funny part. Metallica and Richard Cheese on the other hand are much more popular, and therefore more likely that more than one person likes their music, unlike mad dog who has a patent on the AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GOOD AFTERNOON EVERYBODY

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16
    lol, take a chill pill. someone said that mad dog said that when they were talking about the enter sandman thing, but the thing is, who in their right mind would use the SAME exact weird ass entrance as mad dog, thats the funny part. Metallica and Richard Cheese on the other hand are much more popular, and therefore more likely that more than one person likes their music, unlike mad dog who has a patent on the AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GOOD AFTERNOON EVERYBODY

i was talking about the enter sandman issue. i could care less about mad dog. the guy is a buffoon anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    BINGO!!

Too bad the Yankees were never close enough to beating the Tigers so that he could influence the series.
    Last edited by Piper; 10-14-2006 at 11:59 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    Postseason Numbers:
    Wagner - 7.714 ERA in 9.1 IP 8ER 2 Saves 1 Win 1 Loss
    Rivera - 0.799 ERA in 112.2 IP 10ER 34 Saves 8 Wins 1 Loss

I think we can let the numbers speak for themselves... There simply is no comparison, despite what Wagner has done in the regular season.
    When was this? You'd have to be a complete moron to say something like that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance
    rep, I think Billy Wagner himself said it best on 10/9/06 :

"I could care less about the Yankees. We have nothing to do with them. Our job is to play the National League and whoever's in the World Series. So the Yankees don't concern us."

This might be tough for you to swallow, but the NY sports world is not engulfed in whether the Yankees or the Mets have a better closer. It might be time for you to let the Yankees go for a month or two. They lost in 4 and neither Rivera nor Wagner is going to change that.
    I guess that means you think Rivera is better but rather then admitting it, you put the focus on something else.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    i was talking about the enter sandman issue. i could care less about mad dog. the guy is a buffoon anyway.

I agree that Mike & the Maddog are full of themselves, does anyone listen to the Michael Kay show instead?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are Mo's 2006 ALCS stats like?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    Your right ,your post is boring.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine
    I thought your heroes were suppose to steamroll the lowly Cardinals??

What is happening jermaine???I know you have the inside scoop..fill everybody in lil buddy..or are you still crying over tonights outcome??