Thread: Greatest Baseball Player You Have Ever Seen

Jets Insider VIP

Greatest Baseball Player You Have Ever Seen

I had a conversation with someone and it made me think. The greatest basketball player and football player we've ever seen in our lifetime can be pinned down to a handful of players. Most would say Jordan but others would have valid arguments for Magic, Bird, and Kareem. Football is just as exclusive with most saying Montana and others saying Rice or Marino. But what about baseball? With no true Jordanesque, or Gretskyesque player in baseball in our lifetime, there is a lot to chose from.

Who was the greatest baseball player you have ever seen in your lifetime?

5 years old is a good age to consider us becoming "seriously" aware about baseball (I believe we all remember the '77 series and the summer of Son of Sam).

Some ground rules (only to make it easier):
    (1) The random date of relevance in your lifetime is 5 years old, only because about that age we can say that we became "seriously" aware of baseball or sports in general;

(2) You would have to seen the player play live (via TV or in person at the game);

(3) The player could be at the end of his career when you first saw him, but he can't be in his "washed up phase." For example, if we all watched baseball in 1976 for the first time, then Hank Aaron would be the answer, but he was washed up then and it was his last year. On the other hand, of course, the player can still be playing today but not in his 1st 2 years in the majors;

(4) Defense AND Offense has to play into account. We're talking greatest baseball player here, not greatest hitter or greatest fielder. Despite this, a pitcher can be included (we can't penalize them for not hitting); and

(5) It's up to you if you want to discount the steroid era. You can factor that into it or not, it's up to you.

So, again, the question is, who is the greatest baseball player you have seen in your lifetime? And why?

My answer: Michael Jack Schmidt. I was born in 1972, so 1976/77 was when I seriously became aware about baseball.

Schmidt has 548 career homers (11 seasons of 35 or more homers when other guys were struggling to hit 25 in a year). 1595 RBI, 2234 hits, career .267 average when the league average was in the .240s and .250s. Ten time gold glove winner at 3rd base. 3 time MVP winner and WS MVP winner. He's the best I have ever seen.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Banned
    I was born in 1965..Damn..this one is tough

Roberto Clemente

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    I was born in 1965..Damn..this one is tough

Roberto Clemente
    Thanks. I know it's a tough question, that's why I asked it.

born in 1981.

Barry Bonds, easily. Roids or not.

Gold glove defender, one of the best contact hitters in the game, one of the best power hitters in the game, great base stealer before age caught up with him.

Only player to have 400 steals and 400 homeruns in a career.

Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan
    born in 1981.

Barry Bonds, easily. Roids or not.

Gold glove defender, one of the best contact hitters in the game, one of the best power hitters in the game, great base stealer before age caught up with him.

Only player to have 400 steals and 400 homeruns in a career.
    No way. Too many issues and his stats may have been aided by roids. Great player with too many "bad" issue following him.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    No way. Too many issues and his stats may have been aided by roids. Great player with too many "bad" issue following him.
    Still the greatest baseball player I've ever seen.

As far as roids are concerned, that can be said about anyone playing the modern game.

Including guys like Griffey or Jeter, regardless if they look "roided up" or not. If you look into the science of steroids you'll notice that it's not a forgone conclusion that a player would turn huge using it.
    Last edited by 49ersJetsfan; 10-17-2006 at 03:13 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I understand that, but whot is your guy, Florida? Who is the greatest baseball player you have ever seen?

Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan
    Still the greatest baseball player I've ever seen.
    Granted...

Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    I understand that, but whot is your guy, Florida? Who is the greatest baseball player you have ever seen?
    So damn many that I have seen as I've been a fan since 1948. I saw the Dimaggio's, Musial, Ted Williams, M. Mantle, W. Mays, J. Robinson, etc..
    My all time favorite hero has always been Gil Hodges as I was a big time Bklyn Dodger fan. But I have to agree with Bill P. on Clemente as the greatest all around player I have ever seen and he was taken in his mid prime and played for a (at that time) a very small market team. If he had played in any major franchise he would have been even greater.

Jets Insider VIP
    So damn many that I have seen as I've been a fan since 1948. I saw the Dimaggio's, Musial, Ted Williams, M. Mantle, W. Mays, J. Robinson, etc..
    My all time favorite hero has always been Gil Hodges as I was a big time Bklyn Dodger fan. But I have to agree with Bill P. on Clemente as the greatest all around player I have ever seen and he was taken in his mid prime and played for a (at that time) a very small market team. If he had played in any major franchise he would have been even greater.
    Thanks, Florida. I envy you for having seen such great players.

I have favorite players as well, but as I mentioned, the greatest I have ever seen was Schmidt. I wish I had seen Clemente play (he died a 7 months after I was born). He and Gehrig are my favorite players I have never seen play.

Veteran
    Born in '64. I was lucky to see Wille Mays who I consider the greatest all-time although I only saw him in his winding down.

In the days since i was 5 I gotta go for Pete Rose.

All League
    Since 1985, Ken Griffey in his prime was amazing. Barry Bonds with the roids to

born:1975. since i love pitching i'm gonna say nolan ryan or tom seaver. it's hard to pick between the two. on one hand i think nolan ryan was just about the most dominant pitcher to ever play. being a mets fan it's easy to pick tom seaver. if i was to pick an everyday player it's either cal ripken or ricky henderson.

born in 1977 and I pick Ken Griffey Jr. A true 5 tool talent his first few years in the league, the most beautiful swing I have ever seen and was always a clutch player.