Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derek Jeter

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Derek Jeter

i dont want this to turn into a pro or anti jeter thread but.......

although i think he is a great post season player i personaly beleive he is overrated and today michael kay says Arod will never be good in NY because he is not derek jeter is there is only one player as good as derek jeter.

WHAT??????????????????????? Derek Jeter is a good, clutch player but Arod is a once in a generation talent......i dont really think its close.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    jeter would have caught that ball reyes couldn't get to!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    HAHAHA!!!

I was just saying that myself!!!TOUCHE!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emslave

although i think he is a great post season player i personaly beleive he is overrated and today michael kay says Arod will never be good in NY because he is not derek jeter is there is only one player as good as derek jeter.

WHAT??????????????????????? Derek Jeter is a good, clutch player but Arod is a once in a generation talent......i dont really think its close.
    Yep. Jeter's on the field talents are completely overblown by the intangibles he brings to the table. In terms of on the field skills, A-Rod is much, much better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan44
    Yep. Jeter's on the field talents are completely overblown by the intangibles he brings to the table. In terms of on the field skills, A-Rod is much, much better.
    This year (but only this year) Jeter was much much better than A-Rod, period, not even considering the intangibles. I actually do think Jeter deserves strong consideration for MVP, I'd vote for Santana 1 and Jeter 2.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7
    This year (but only this year) Jeter was much much better than A-Rod, period, not even considering the intangibles. I actually do think Jeter deserves strong consideration for MVP, I'd vote for Santana 1 and Jeter 2.
    I agree on that point. But overall I don't think it's much of a comparison unless you want to count the intangibles. A-Rod would be unbelievable if he wasn't so mentally fragile at times.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    ARod can be wildly successful on a second tier team that wins 75-80 games each year and never appears in the playoffs.

Jeter plays best when the lights are brightest but can't put up the kind of numbers that ARod is capable of putting up over a regular season.

Just my opinion but if you send ARod back to Texas or some other team like that he'd just go out to the ballpark everyday and go 2 for 5 with an RBI and make the fans happy....never having to deliver in a big spot!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23
    ARod can be wildly successful on a second tier team that wins 75-80 games each year and never appears in the playoffs.

Jeter plays best when the lights are brightest but can't put up the kind of numbers that ARod is capable of putting up over a regular season.

Just my opinion but if you send ARod back to Texas or some other team like that he'd just go out to the ballpark everyday and go 2 for 5 with an RBI and make the fans happy....never having to deliver in a big spot!
    in all fairness jeter is a good player on a good team........he doesnt make a bad team good as much as arod does.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    That has to be the most asinine response to a post. A question that could never be answered. Guess what?? Jeeter wasn't there so you would never know. ....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

edit
    Arod will never be good in NY because he is not derek jeter is there is only one player as good as derek jeter. in a Yankee uniform

now it is probably true

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    That has to be the most asinine response to a post. A question that could never be answered. Guess what?? Jeeter wasn't there so you would never know. ....

no you do know, cuz he makes that play routinely. he may be the best in the league at that specific play.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I love the Pinstripe envy. That can only explain why Met fans would start threads about Yankee players. We don't see Yankee fans here starting threads about David Wright, or Reyes, or Delgado, etc.

Anyway, the point of the distinction between Jeter and ARod is this: ARod is a stat whore, plain in simple. Just read the articles and his own words and you see that the most important thing to him is stats. Players and MLB people in Verducci's article put it best that ARod has an uncanny recall of what he did during certain games or on certain road trips. Case in point was the Boston series. Giambi told ARod they need a big hit from him and ARod responded, "but I got 5 hits." All 5 of those hits were dink hits. This man should have a Big Papian, Pujolsian, Manniesque or even Delgadoesque impact on the game but doesn't.

That's the point. It's not about talent alone. ARod is an all-world talent is more talented than Jeter, Big Papi, Manny and Pujols but those players seem to have a bigger impact on his team winning ball games. The YES network had a stat during the year that about half of ARod's homer as a Yank have come when the team is up or down by 4 or more runs. In his "good" years of hitting with men in scoring position, ARod hits .300 in those situations. In Jeter's "good" years of hitting with men in scoring position, Jeter hits .360.

So being an "all generation talent" as emslave seems to covet does not equate to be a clutch player. That's what ARod has failed in HIS ENTIRE CAREER. Look at the real stats. Don't anyone give me this nonsense that, "oh yeah, he's hit well in the postseason, he has a .300 average." The man from his Seattle days is 4-26 with men in scoring position and 0-16 with 2 outs in those spots. This is endemic of him as an individual. ARod will never be the player Jeter is because he fails miserably in big spots.

And don't underestimate this perception around the league. ARod has more talent than Big Papi and Pujols but only ARod has had a hitter intentionally walked IN FRONT OF HIM so the pitcher can face him. That's all you need to know. That would never happen with Big Papi or Pujols.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    in all fairness jeter is a good player on a good team........he doesnt make a bad team good as much as arod does.
    since when does arod make a bad team good. when he was with texas they were terrible. jeter with all his late game heroics and big hits i believe would make a bad team better before arod plus he adds a qiuet confidence to the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brol79
    since when does arod make a bad team good. when he was with texas they were terrible. jeter with all his late game heroics and big hits i believe would make a bad team better before arod plus he adds a qiuet confidence to the team.
    i said he would make a bad team BETTER....and FYI noone cares who gets the big hits on the pirates.....just who gets the 40HR and 120RBI.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Man, I love the Pinstripe envy. That can only explain why Met fans would start threads about Yankee players. We don't see Yankee fans here starting threads about David Wright, or Reyes, or Delgado, etc.

Anyway, the point of the distinction between Jeter and ARod is this: ARod is a stat whore, plain in simple. Just read the articles and his own words and you see that the most important thing to him is stats. Players and MLB people in Verducci's article put it best that ARod has an uncanny recall of what he did during certain games or on certain road trips. Case in point was the Boston series. Giambi told ARod they need a big hit from him and ARod responded, "but I got 5 hits." All 5 of those hits were dink hits. This man should have a Big Papian, Pujolsian, Manniesque or even Delgadoesque impact on the game but doesn't.

That's the point. It's not about talent alone. ARod is an all-world talent is more talented than Jeter, Big Papi, Manny and Pujols but those players seem to have a bigger impact on his team winning ball games. The YES network had a stat during the year that about half of ARod's homer as a Yank have come when the team is up or down by 4 or more runs. In his "good" years of hitting with men in scoring position, ARod hits .300 in those situations. In Jeter's "good" years of hitting with men in scoring position, Jeter hits .360.

So being an "all generation talent" as emslave seems to covet does not equate to be a clutch player. That's what ARod has failed in HIS ENTIRE CAREER. Look at the real stats. Don't anyone give me this nonsense that, "oh yeah, he's hit well in the postseason, he has a .300 average." The man from his Seattle days is 4-26 with men in scoring position and 0-16 with 2 outs in those spots. This is endemic of him as an individual. ARod will never be the player Jeter is because he fails miserably in big spots.

And don't underestimate this perception around the league. ARod has more talent than Big Papi and Pujols but only ARod has had a hitter intentionally walked IN FRONT OF HIM so the pitcher can face him. That's all you need to know. That would never happen with Big Papi or Pujols.
    Pinstripe envy is what Yankee fans think everyone has but noone does.......envy a team with no heart or direction? pass.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    unbelievable... the Mets are one loss away from elimination, and all Mets fans can worry about is how good or bad Derek Jeter is... this is laughable

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeter is the man. I wish we had him playing 2nd base for us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pinstripe envy is what Yankee fans think everyone has but noone does.......envy a team with no heart or direction? pass.
    Oh yeah, and a Met fan is happy that their 97 win team is about to lose to an 83 win team in the Cards whom the Mets have dominated.

Hey, I'm not a fan starting a thread about another team's player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    unbelievable... the Mets are one loss away from elimination, and all Mets fans can worry about is how good or bad Derek Jeter is... this is laughable
    I have to agree.. I wouldn't have responded at all except for reps response.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

although i think he is a great post season player i personaly beleive he is overrated

Good thing you didn't want to turn this into an "anti jeter thread".