Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The US Hints At Using Nukes Against Korea

Hall Of Fame

The US Hints At Using Nukes Against Korea

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061018/ap_on_re_as/koreas_nuclear[/url]

Rice promises U.S. defense of Japan By ANNE GEARAN, AP Diplomatic Writer
    32 minutes ago

TOKYO - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Wednesday the United States is ready to use the "full range" of its military might to defend Japan in light of North Korea's nuclear weapons test, and her Japanese counterpart drew a firm line against developing a Japanese bomb.

The United States is concerned that Japan, South Korea or perhaps Taiwan may want to develop their own nuclear weapons programs to counter the threat from North Korea. Such moves would anger China, which already has nuclear weapons, and raise tensions in the region.

Part of Rice's assignment on this week's hastily arranged trip to China, Russia, Japan and South Korea is to lessen the temptation to develop separate national nuclear programs by reaffirming the U.S. intention to defend the nations most at risk.

[B]In Japan, Rice said she reaffirmed President Bush's pledge, made the day of the North's test last week, "that the United States has the will and the capability to meet the full range and I underscore the full range of its deterrent and security commitments to Japan," Rice said following discussions with Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso.[/B]

Rice's words were a reminder to U.S. allies that the United States does not want to see a new nuclear arms race in Asia, but will likely be taken also as a warning to North Korea that it could face the U.S. nuclear arsenal if it used a nuclear weapon on a neighbor.

The United States has repeatedly said t does not intend to attack North Korea or topple its communist regime.

Shortly before Rice arrived, Aso said Japan should openly discuss whether it wants to possess nuclear weapons. He told a parliamentary committee the government has no plans to stray from its post-World War II policy of not allowing nuclear bombs on Japanese soil, "But I think it is important to discuss the issue."

Even discussing the issue is extremely sensitive in Japan, with its troubled military history and experience as the only nation where nuclear weapons were used in wartime.

With Rice at his side, Aso did not repeat the need for a discussion.

"The government is absolutely not considering a need to be armed by nuclear weapons," Aso said. "We do not need to acquire nuclear arms with an assurance by Secretary of State Rice that the bilateral alliance would work without fault."

Later Wednesday, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe insisted his government would not even discuss building a nuclear bomb.

"That debate is finished," Abe testily told reporters.

It was at least the third time since North Korea's test that Abe a hawk on defense issues who came to office last month promising a more assertive Japan has had to reassure jittery neighbors and an anxious United States that Tokyo would not abandon its postwar ban on nuclear weapons.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday en route to Japan, Rice said North Korea's recent underground nuclear test "does carry with it the potential for instability in the relationships that now exist in the region."

"That's why it's extremely important to go out and to affirm, and affirm strongly, U.S. defense commitments to Japan and to South Korea," Rice said.

In addition to settling nerves among allies, Rice's Asia trip is meant to reinforce pressure on South Korea and especially China to enforce economic sanctions. Those include what the United States describes as an aggressive inspection and interdiction program that stops short of a full blockade of North Korean trade.

China's U.N. Ambassador Wang Guangya said Tuesday that China would implement the resolution to the degree of inspections, but not interdiction.

"Inspection is different than interdiction and interception," Wang told reporters on Monday. "I think different countries will do it different ways."

Rice would not comment in detail about worries by the U.S. and other governments that the North may be preparing for a second test explosion.

"We're concerned about further action by the North Koreans," Rice said, "but further action by the North Koreans will only deepen its isolation, which is pretty deep right now."

Concern over a second test stems partly from new satellite imagery showing increased activity around at least two other North Korean sites, a senior defense official said Tuesday.

My Comment:
    Hopefully this only turns into a new shorter lived cold war like with the USSR in the 80's. This could turn out to be a complete mess if we start dropping nukes on N. Korea. I don't think a third world war would do anyone much good.
    Last edited by New York Mick; 10-18-2006 at 09:45 AM.

I really think China will launch a coup against Kim Jong-Il before that happens... those bastards are crazy enough to do it and pull it off.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec]I really think China will launch a coup against Kim Jong-Il before that happens... those bastards are crazy enough to do it and pull it off.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking someone is going to cap his ass just to keep peace in that region. To bad Israel isn't involved with this, there good at that ****.

yeah ok the US is going to drop nukes in China's back yard.

not a real threat

flushingjet

Scared...

Commies (NK + PRC) -> 502 Nukes

USA alone -> 15,000 Nukes and Lots of Delivery Methods

Chinese delivery is not available, but takeout is possible

I like our chances

Unlike you...I root for the good guys

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=flushingjet]

I like our chances

Unlike you...I root for the good guys[/QUOTE]

so do I....and as usual you have the best avatar on this forum!! :yes:

[QUOTE=flushingjet]Commies (NK + PRC) -> 502 Nukes

Chinese delivery is not available, but takeout is possible

I like our chances
    [/QUOTE]

hey toughguy

doesn't matter if they have 100 nukes and we have 10 million

do you know what 100 ICBMs would do to this nation?

to quote Spies like us it's enough to Wipe the paint off your garage and give your family a permanent orange afro

[QUOTE=bitonti]yeah ok the US is going to drop nukes in China's back yard.

not a real threat[/QUOTE]

That's another good point; China would be seriously pissed off and right now we need all the help we can get from them.

Yeaaahhh!!!!
    Nuke those bastids!!!!

Wooooo hooooo! I love all this tough guy war talk!
    Bombs! Death ! and Destruction!!!! I
    Dropping a bomb on NK is a great idea! Not only will we kill a tremendous amount of people now, but we will ensure that there children and grandchildren will be subject to the nuclear fallout and die of leukemia over the next 20 - 30 years!!

Kill, kill, kill, kill!!!!

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=bitonti]hey toughguy

doesn't matter if they have 100 nukes and we have 10 million

do you know what 100 ICBMs would do to this nation?

to quote Spies like us it's enough to Wipe the paint off your garage and give your family a permanent orange afro[/QUOTE]

hey whiny crybaby

let me speak-a your language

waah waah waah

now in plain english:

they have more to fear from us than vice versa

bird flu's the best they got

[QUOTE=flushingjet]hey whiny crybaby

let me speak-a your language

waah waah waah

now in plain english:

they have more to fear from us than vice versa

bird flu's the best they got[/QUOTE]

read the news they own a great deal of US debt

you don't drop nukes on the people who own your debt

who makes all of our manufacturing goods? How many US companies have factories in China? They are an economic partner.

even our President wouldn't be stupid enough to consider nuking North Korea

where does that leave you?

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=bitonti]read the news they own a great deal of US debt

you don't drop nukes on the people who own your debt

who makes all of our manufacturing goods? How many US companies have factories in China? They are an economic partner.

even our President wouldn't be stupid enough to consider nuking North Korea

where does that leave you?[/QUOTE]

?

Love your usual complete lack of economic knowledge

No China/NK...No Problem for us-More of a problem for them

We will write off the debt if we wipe them out

Our debt is oversubscribed-theres a line out the door

If they tried to cash it in all at once they would drive Treasuries down, interest rates up, the dollar down and be left holding big losses on their balance sheets

We will find suppliers for our irregular sneakers ("skips"),
    kiddie swimming pools, and other poorly fabricated products
    elsewhere

If the USA is my biggest customer
    Why would I, or I allow a surrogate, threaten them?

Confucius say: Thats a funny way to run a business!

If we're destroyed, how will they keep their workforce occupied?

Where is their ROI then?

Better you should ask the drug dealing, funny money laundering
    Norks to give up being commies and try keeping their people alive
    for a change

Oh...and if NK attacks us or Japan or SK or Taiwan they are through
    China neighbor/ally or not
    They are also neighbor to Russia
    Neither of those geopolitical facts will deter the crushing response
    Last edited by flushingjet; 10-18-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]Commies (NK + PRC) -> 502 Nukes

[/QUOTE]
    You forgot one.

Iraq -> 0 nukes

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]You forgot one.

Iraq -> 0 nukes[/QUOTE]

So solly....wong thlead, prumber.

so let me make sure i understand this correctly

you are recommending a unilateral pre-emptive nuclear attack on both North Korea and China?

is that really what you are saying?

[QUOTE=New York Mick][url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061018/ap_on_re_as/koreas_nuclear[/url]

Rice's words were a reminder to U.S. allies that the United States does not want to see a new nuclear arms race in Asia, but will likely be taken also as [B]a warning to North Korea that it could face the U.S. nuclear arsenal if it used a nuclear weapon on a neighbor.[/B]

The United States has repeatedly said t does not intend to attack North Korea or topple its communist regime.

[/QUOTE]

Key words could and if.

I would have to agree if NK used a Nuke on a neighbor or transfered Nukes to a terrorist organization likely to use a Nuke on the US or an ally of the US, that would be pretty provocative to say the least. I would have no problem under either of those scenarios to tell China to disarm NK and remove the government ASAP which means now or we Nuke them. I would bet money China would have zero problem with that considering not only are we there biggest trading partner but they have a vested interest in Japan and South Korea and the stability of the region. The Communist government in China is dependent on regional stability and trade to fuel it's economic growth. Without it they will fall.

[QUOTE=bitonti]so let me make sure i understand this correctly

you are recommending a unilateral pre-emptive nuclear attack on both North Korea and China?

is that really what you are saying?[/QUOTE]

LOL

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=pauliec]LOL[/QUOTE]

LOL at what exactly kiddo-your lack of understanding the situation?
    or others lack of it?

Assume NK & Japan are truly independent
    Who is motivated to attack who & why?
    Japan is a wealthy capitalist democracy
    NK is a failed commie / royal dictatorship
    NK attacks Japan because....?
    Revenge for WWII, 60 years ago?
    Or to diminish/destroy Japan to the
    benefit of (3 guesses Ill spot you the capital "C")
    just for laffs?

Japan is our ally-like it or not
    We swear to defend via treaty (Mutual Defense Treaty)
    Japan gets hit, then NK gets it, if China/anyone else jumps in on NKs
    side they get it too.
    Doubtful we will stand idly by even if Hildebeast (Gd forbid) is CinC

If NK is doing Chinas bidding vs our proxy Japan
    Net = China attack on the USA
    What do you think we do
    Hint: Its not what the French or Liberals do

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=bitonti]so let me make sure i understand this correctly

is that really what you are saying?[/QUOTE]

No thats not what I are saying.
    Read the posts 1st, please.
    Winstons post below is illustrative of a scenario
    Last edited by flushingjet; 10-18-2006 at 02:13 PM.

[QUOTE=flushingjet]No thats not what I are saying.
    Read the posts 1st, please.
    Winstons post below is illustrative of a scenario[/QUOTE]

I'm all for diplomacy to disarm NK, Pakistan and prevent Iran from getting Nukes. What diplomacy means to me is letting them know the consequences if they don't.

We have been lucky so far but technology is changing and it's time to recognize that these second rate countries with no checks and balances in place to deal with the temporary insanity of tomorrows megalomaniac can't be allowed to join the nuclear community.