Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: was Pujols showboating?

  1. #1

    was Pujols showboating?

    Lat night when Cliff Floyd pinched-hit in the 9th inning, everyone knew he could barely walk, let alone run. He grounded out in between 1st and 2nd, Pujols fielded the ball, and the pitcher got in position at first to catch the flip from Pujols. Instead, while Floyd was laboring to get to the bag, Pujols took it himself, and it looked like it was an unusually long jog for a first baseman to field it himself. It didn't seem right to embarass Floyd like that. any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Pujols needs one right between the shoulderblades today, that was total bushleague.

    What a prick.

  3. #3
    I'm certainly with you on that Ikey. It was total bush league. Pujols is getting on my nerves severely in this series, and it's not even his bat that's doing it (yeah the HR hurt last night, but as far as I'm concerned Glavine had him K'd earlier in the at bat).

    I don't think anyone on the Mets will do anything tonight...they just wanna win this one. If the Mets have a big lead in game 7 something may or may not happen...if the Mets are at all losing nothing will happen.

    However...I promise you and anyone else who watches baseball that NEXT season this will not be forgotten. If Mota is still with this team or if Duanar 'Dirty' Sanchez gets the ball in his hand against Pujols he will get a nice 95 mph pitch that will be FAR too close for comfort. Read the article on espn.com today about Glavine's class and how Billy Wagner spoke for him saying some not so nice things for Pujols. This Mets bullpen can and will get nasty when the time is right.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    4,745
    i thought the exact same thing paulie...its weird, because for a guy who i've never thought of as anything but a class act (on and off the field), pujols has gone out of his way to rub the mets and their fans the wrong way...first he ****s on glavine, then he shows up floyd for no apparent reason...

    all i know is, regardless of what happens in the next two games (and god damnit there better be two more games), cards-mets games next season will be very interesting...

  5. #5
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    6,542
    you guys are crazy. Anytime you can take the play yourself you do it. This takes out any possibility of a bad throw or a drop by the pitcher. PLEASE..If Floyd can't run out a ground ball he shouldn't have been in. Willie was hoping for a long ball and didn't get it so now Pujols is showboating?? OMG!!!!

    If he hit a line drive to right field he still would have been thrown out. Would that have been showboating too? Should the right fielder feel bad cause of Floyds boo-boo and throw to second? MAN you guys sound like patsie*fans

  6. #6
    OK, maybe I am overthinking this one, or giving Pujols too much credit, but if you have an opportunity to make a play like that and show Randolph that the injury to Floyd is affecting him enough to make him a liability, maybe it gets one of the Mets' bigger bats out of the line-up.

    That and it makes baseball sense...if you can reach the bag then you do it and eliminate the risk of a bad exchange.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan13
    you guys are crazy. Anytime you can take the play yourself you do it. This takes out any possibility of a bad throw or a drop by the pitcher. PLEASE..If Floyd can't run out a ground ball he shouldn't have been in. Willie was hoping for a long ball and didn't get it so now Pujols is showboating?? OMG!!!!

    If he hit a line drive to right field he still would have been thrown out. Would that have been showboating too? Should the right fielder feel bad cause of Floyds boo-boo and throw to second? MAN you guys sound like patsie*fans

    nope, you're wrong. IIRC the pitcher was already in position at first to grab a flip from Pujols. Even if he does drop or bobble the flip, he would have had enough time to pick it up before Floyd reached the bag. Pujols crossed a large distance to make the out himself.

    The argument that "if Floyd can't run out a ground ball then he shouldn't have been playing" is BS. If you really believe that, how do you feel about Kirk Gibson's lone at-bat in the '88 World Series then? Granted, the result was much different than last night, but the intent was the same.

    I'm a Yankees fan, folks, so I'm just looking at this objectively. From that point of view, it seems that Pujols was showboating.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    6,542
    If you can make the play yourself, you do. Anything can happen in an exchange of possession

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    nope, you're wrong. IIRC the pitcher was already in position at first to grab a flip from Pujols. Even if he does drop or bobble the flip, he would have had enough time to pick it up before Floyd reached the bag. Pujols crossed a large distance to make the out himself.

    The argument that "if Floyd can't run out a ground ball then he shouldn't have been playing" is BS. If you really believe that, how do you feel about Kirk Gibson's lone at-bat in the '88 World Series then? Granted, the result was much different than last night, but the intent was the same.

    I'm a Yankees fan, folks, so I'm just looking at this objectively. From that point of view, it seems that Pujols was showboating.
    Why risk a bobble, or something worse when you know you're going to beat a guy to the bag? Besides, Pujols has had issues with his leg as well during the series, which is probably why he didn't run that fast to begin with. Pujols's comments on Glavine earlier in the series were sketchy at best, but I don't fault him for making the play himself last night.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan13
    If you can make the play yourself, you do. Anything can happen in an exchange of possession
    Oh please. Pujols knew esactly what he as doing there, if Floyd hit a ball to Belliard he probably could have taken it himself and beaten Floyd to the bag.

    Pujols' image has severly declined in my mind.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lynbrook, NY
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Pujols needs one right between the shoulderblades today, that was total bushleague.

    What a prick.
    screw that. he needs one right in the ear hole!!!!!!!!!!

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Regardless....Pujols is a total douche.

  13. #13
    My feeling is that he was very unhappy during this playoff that he wasn't the grand master of schemes. Beltran and Delgado out slugged him and thus he showed his stupidity in bad mouthing Glavine. He wanted to show up Floyd because everyone saw his stupidity on base running in earlier games.
    The guy has little to no class and it will come back to bite him in the azz.

    It's a shame that there are players with loads of ability but little to no class and we see them in all sports.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan44
    Why risk a bobble, or something worse when you know you're going to beat a guy to the bag? Besides, Pujols has had issues with his leg as well during the series, which is probably why he didn't run that fast to begin with. Pujols's comments on Glavine earlier in the series were sketchy at best, but I don't fault him for making the play himself last night.

    If he has leg issues why would he risk further injury running to get Floyd out??? Face it he was showing up the Mets...

  15. #15
    I'm a Yankees fan, so I have no allegiance to any of these teams. But, I have to say, when I saw how far Pujols was from the bag I couldn't understand why he didn't flip to the pitcher...hell, the pitcher was already at the bag waiting the throw. Showmanship at its worst.

    Go Mets for what it's worth!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    If he has leg issues why would he risk further injury running to get Floyd out??? Face it he was showing up the Mets...
    Hah, being a Yankee fan alters my view of the situation for sure. However, I can honestly say that if he did that to the Yankees I wouldn't care much at all. As long as the team wins you shouldn't be so concerned with his actions, unsportsmanlike or not. Be more concerned with continuing to keep him in check for the rest of the series.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,908
    Pujolus is a dick... end of discussion.

    I heard the play on the radio, so I don't really know about that incident, but what he said about glavine... he simply embarassed himself.

  18. #18
    Can we all step back and be realistic here...It was an important time of the game and a bad throw = tying run @ the plate...Sure, he knew Floyd was hurt and couldn't run, therefore he took it himself...There is nothing more to it.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    currently CT/eventually NC
    Posts
    3,771
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneChrebet
    Can we all step back and be realistic here...It was an important time of the game and a bad throw = tying run @ the plate...Sure, he knew Floyd was hurt and couldn't run, therefore he took it himself...There is nothing more to it.
    Yep..it was the correct play at that time in the game.

    Nothing conspiratorial about it.

  20. #20
    y'know what annoys me most about pujols? that stupid smirk he makes when he's up at bat and waiting for the pitch. he makes the same face you see on some porno flicks. i noticed yesterday that pujols basically sucked galvine's d*ck when he was asked about him. said something about how great a pitcher he was, has 290 wins and is a hall of famer. y'think someone told him that what he said came off as incredibly immature and stupid?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us