Thread: Julio Franco and Michael Kay

Julio Franco and Michael Kay

Franco is still the the best pinch hitter on the Mets, except for Cliff Floyd. The guy can hit to the opposite field with the best of them, and for power. He's also got some speed despite his age. Don't believe the commentators who assume he is slow because he's near 50.

Michael Kay went on a rant yesterday about how Willie shouldn't have used Franco as a pinch hitter in the first 4 games. Kay says that Franco is too old and can no longer hit because he doesn't have the speed to get the bat around from his usual batting stance. This is absurd. The guy has barely played and still proven hisself to be a solid hitter for most of the season.

Willie made a mistake by putting in Michael Tucker (terrrrrrrrible) to pinch hit with the top of the lineup coming up in Game 5. If you don't remember, he struck out on 3 pitches, with bad looking swings. You use Franco there because you will only need one more pinch hitter late in the game, and that would be Floyd.

Franco is still a solid hitter that has great bat speed and can smack around balls hard. He might not be what he used to be but he's still quite a hitter.

As far as "too old" he had 6 stolen bases this year including at least 1 steal of 3rd base. He's still got decent speed.

As I said before in another thread, Michael Kay is a friggin retard. He's the Joe Theisman of baseball announcers.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan
    Franco is still a solid hitter that has great bat speed and can smack around balls hard. He might not be what he used to be but he's still quite a hitter.

As far as "too old" he had 6 stolen bases this year including at least 1 steal of 3rd base. He's still got decent speed.

As I said before in another thread, Michael Kay is a friggin retard. He's the Joe Theisman of baseball announcers.
    All true.