Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bush admits Iraq is kinda like Nam

Bush admits Iraq is kinda like Nam

[url]http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=nation_world&id=4675085[/url]

wow, the headline of that article is extremely misleading.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=pauliec]wow, the headline of that article is extremely misleading.[/QUOTE]

not as though this is something new for the liberal media.....only on occassion do the headlines run congruent with the story....

headline: [B]Bush: Iraq 'Could Be' Vietnam All Over Again[/B]

actual content: [B]Stephanopoulos asked whether the president agreed with the opinion of columnist Tom Friedman, who wrote in The New York Times that the situation in Iraq may be equivalent to the [U]Tet offensive[/U] in Vietnam almost 40 years ago.

"He could be right," the president said, before adding, "There's certainly a stepped-up level of violence, and we're heading into an election." [/B]

not even close. the media is ITCHING to turn this war into Vietnam 2.

Bush should personally apologize to every parent of every soldier killed and every soldier who suffered a life changing injury.

this war has been a disaster

it's doomed to fail

it's about time we all admitted that

[QUOTE=bitonti]Bush should personally apologize to every parent of every soldier killed and every soldier who suffered a life changing injury.

this war has been a disaster

it's doomed to fail

it's about time we all admitted that[/QUOTE]

nevertheless, this thread is about an article [I]you [/I]posted.

[QUOTE=pauliec]nevertheless, this thread is about an article [I]you [/I]posted.[/QUOTE]

i didn't write the article

it's not as speculatory as you are making it out to be

they asked him the Prez agreed with Friedman

he said "he could be right"

what's to dispute?

[QUOTE=bitonti]i didn't write the article

it's not as speculatory as you are making it out to be

they asked him the Prez agreed with Friedman

he said "he could be right"

what's to dispute?[/QUOTE]

The headline of the article implies that the President admits this Iraq War is as much as a failure as the disastrously long Vietnam War, a very foreboding stigma if I've ever seen one. Reading just a few paragraphs into the article, you realize immediately that the President says it's possible to make very loose comparisons with what's happening now to the events of the Tet Offensive, not the entire Vietnam conflict. My comment wasn't about the war, it was about the obvious attention-grabbing, slanted headline. Sloppy, sloppy journalism.

sloppy journalism? maybe.

sloppy President? definately.

you tell me which is worse? The GOP has been forever blaming everything that has gone wrong on the liberal media, there's no way to spin the reality on the ground in Iraq.

the dreams of democracy changing the Middle East are dead and who made the decision to pursue this dream, disregarding all critics?

[QUOTE=bitonti]sloppy journalism? maybe.

sloppy President? definately.

you tell me which is worse? The GOP has been forever blaming everything that has gone wrong on the liberal media, there's no way to spin the reality on the ground in Iraq.

the dreams of democracy changing the Middle East are dead and who made the decision to pursue this dream, disregarding all critics?[/QUOTE]

If you want to start a new thread everyday about how much of a disaster the Iraq War is, do it; don't hide your intentions behind posting an interview with a slanted headline. It just kinda threw me for a loop.

We wanted a regime change and we have done that. There are no democracies in the Middle East with the exception of Israel. The Sunni Moslem's are the main problem in Iraq.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]not as though this is something new for the liberal media.....only on occassion do the headlines run congruent with the story....[/QUOTE]Do you know who owns ABC?

The Disney Company. A company with a very conservative track record that aired a an extraoridinarily inaccurate, right-wing, propagandized version of 9/11 a month ago.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    My God Bit, I have never heard such a defeatist attitude in my entire life. It's as if you think the United States winning a War or Conflict is flatly impossible, regardless of ANY factors, changes or tactics.

I would understand you quite a bit better if you were arguing FOR a particular tactic, theory or move, but to argue such a "we cannot win no matter what, nothing we do can be good ever" attitude is simply.....mindboggling.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod]Do you know who owns ABC?

The Disney Company. [/QUOTE]

Dude...Shhhhh. Ixnay on the isneyday.

flushingjet
    All it means is that there is a spike in violence that isnt just gratituitous and meaningless as usual but the timing is meant to influence our election

No way Iraq is anywhere [u]close [/u]to 'Nam, in any way shape or form, and anyone with a brain knows it

But for the benefit of dumbmarine et al I just explained it....again
    Last edited by flushingjet; 10-19-2006 at 11:39 AM.

[QUOTE=Warfish]My God Bit, I have never heard such a defeatist attitude in my entire life. It's as if you think the United States winning a War or Conflict is flatly impossible, regardless of ANY factors, changes or tactics.

I would understand you quite a bit better if you were arguing FOR a particular tactic, theory or move, but to argue such a "we cannot win no matter what, nothing we do can be good ever" attitude is simply.....mindboggling.[/QUOTE]

You are putting words in my mouth.

The USA cannot win wars it doesn't know how to win.

We cannot fight guerrillas on their turf and we cannot nation build in the middle east.

I call em like i see em - It's not my fault that the only wars we have attempted in recent years have been impossible conflicts.

You all need to realize that the USA doesn't have divine right of domination - we will not win just because we are winners by nature. Successful warfare requires reachable goals and in a democracy the buy in of the population.

Hypothetical straight up war against another nation and their army - different circumstance i am very confident we can win. This isn't about the military it's about the strategy of the administration.

This was a doomed war for the get go.

Instead of bashing me for my defeatism you all should be apologizing for calling me a coward in the year 2002 when I was pre-emptively right that this war would be a failure.

In fact my track record in predicting the outcome of war is far superior to any conservative poster in the forum.

You all should respect me not attack me. Who knows maybe the next war we try will have a shot. If the current leadership are the ones making these decisions probably they will continue to make bad decisions.

JUST LIKE NAM..
    This war, like Nam, was built on a neo utopian vision of spreading democracy..
    Just Like Nam it was a complete BS operation.
    Just like Nam it was completely unjustified
    Just like Nam it was fought with dollar signs in the war machine's eyes
    Just like Nam tens upon tens of thousand of innocent civilians get killed by the US war machine
    Just like Nam thousands of innocent US kids are sent to die by politicians who would never go themselves..
    Just like Nam the only end in sight is one of defeat.

BS wars fought for no reason will always go bad.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=bman]This war, like Nam, was built on a neo utopian vision of spreading democracy..[/QUOTE]

Actually, Vietnam was "built" on the ideal of opposing Communism. Communists wanted to take it over, so we faught them instead of confronting the USSR directly. Vietnam was one battle, one front in the Cold War. And we won the Cold War remember.

[QUOTE=bman]Just Like Nam it was a complete BS operation.[/QUOTE]

Vague and meaningless. What, exactly, is a "BS Operation"? Substance please.

[QUOTE=bman]Just like Nam it was completely unjustified[/QUOTE]

No, the justification is simply something you do not agree with. "Unjustified" would be meaning and reasonless. Both Iraq and Vietnam had reasons and meaning, you simply do not agree with them. That is different.

[QUOTE=bman]Just like Nam it was fought with dollar signs in the war machine's eyes[/QUOTE]

Conspiracy theorist tripe. You have failed at every turn to provide any evidence of profiteering by the current administration from the Iraq war. If such proof existed, we wouldn;t need an election to have Bush out, the Left would have it all over the papers and news, and have Bush impeached in seconds.

[QUOTE=bman]Just like Nam tens upon tens of thousand of innocent civilians get killed by the US war machine[/QUOTE]

Actually, the VAST number of Civillians killed in Iraq have been killed by the sectarian and insurgent violence, not American troops or munitions.

[QUOTE=bman]Just like Nam thousands of innocent US kids are sent to die by politicians who would never go themselves..[/QUOTE]

Actually, the entire U.S. Millitary is voluntary, so in signing up they clearly agreed that they WOULD agree to go if called.

[QUOTE=bman]Just like Nam the only end in sight is one of defeat.[/QUOTE]

Defeatism never won anything bman. And it won't here either. The American Political left has failed in it's responsabillity to offer alternate avenues and plans to achieve victory, instead choosing the insanity of self-blame and defeatism. It's a shame really....I'd much rather hear "This plan would help us win, why doesn;t Bush and Co. do THAT" than the "Eeyore-like Whoa is me, we can't win cause we suck" attitude of you and yours.
    Last edited by Warfish; 10-19-2006 at 12:44 PM.

[QUOTE=bman]JUST LIKE NAM..
    This war, like Nam, was built on a neo utopian vision of spreading democracy..
    Just Like Nam it was a complete BS operation.
    Just like Nam it was completely unjustified
    Just like Nam it was fought with dollar signs in the war machine's eyes
    Just like Nam tens upon tens of thousand of innocent civilians get killed by the US war machine
    Just like Nam thousands of innocent US kids are sent to die by politicians who would never go themselves..
    Just like Nam the only end in sight is one of defeat.

BS wars fought for no reason will always go bad.[/QUOTE]

Do you really believe your own BS? Or just the media's recollection on Vietnam?

How is Vietnam doing today? Think it's a lot better off today than it was 40 years ago...do you think it's more of a democratic or communist state?

American Express has Vietnam on its top 5 list for travel...and the next time you think Vietnam was a waste, go visit the "Wall" in DC and tell a vet who is standing next to you that he wasted his time there...I'll even meet you there if you like.

All Pro
    The two wars are only similar in the way libs and the media are spinning it.

The only reason the insurgency/terrorists are still fighting is because liberals have done a great job dividing the country and liberals worldwide are on their side. Sure it's tough, but what isn't? If it was up to you dolts, law enforcement should have thrown their hands up and given up decades ago. Thousands die in America because of criminals every year.

If the country and the world had spoken with one clear voice, this would have been over long ago and may never have even gotten to war in the first place.

And that's the real "inconvienient truth".