Thread: How good can Oliver Perez be?

Jets Insider VIP

How good can Oliver Perez be?

We all know what he did a couple years ago. Some seasoning with Peterson and winterball can help him.. I was stunned, listening to the replay on WFAN of Mike and maddogs interview with Peter Gammons. And Gammons said, that about a year or so ago, Barry Bonds told him that he thinks Oliver Perez might have been the best lefthander Barry has EVER faced...Wow. Gammons also reinterated that Barry doesn't usually make statements like that without really taking time and thinking about it first. My take.

1. He becomes our Scott Kazmir, I think thats what the Mets are hoping.

2. San Diego wants him, we may trade him this offseason, if his value continues to rise once again.

I dont see, it happening eany other way

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Wow, you've come a long way from a week ago where you were trashing the Mets for putting him on the roster.

Way to be consistent in your opinion.

It sucks when we are left with little to zero options for this game. One can just hope he matches Maine's preformance from yesterday..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I was at the doubleheader in Sept where he pitched a complet game shutout against the Braves. He can pitch very well. Just hasn't on a consistent basis. If he is throwing strikes early and gets through the first and maybe second inning unscathed, he could roll from there.

he seems to me like a groove pitcher if he is good and feeling good he is very good.....when he is bad....its time to go home by the 3rd inning.

Veteran
    He'll be on a super short leash regardless on how he starts. The first sign of trouble Willie'll go to Oliver. Let's just hope the bats wake up against Suppan. Suppan isn't exactly Cy Young out there either.

Banned
    How good can he be?

Good enough to win so long as the mets hit.

If he makes it 5, and give him a little support, we'll take this one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Wow, you've come a long way from a week ago where you were trashing the Mets for putting him on the roster.

Way to be consistent in your opinion.
    I always said right now. He is horrible. Ive think now and Ive thought from the beginning, He has nasty stuff and with some seasoning with peterson.. And work then he could be something special

All League
    He held his own and then some !! Outstanding effort by Perez !!

I hope that during the offseason, Peterson can turn him back into the highly touted prospect he once was.

When you guys made the trade I thought it was a terrible trade for both teams. It was bad for the Mets because I didn't like Roberto Hernandez and I thought Oliver Perez was a trade for the future when they should have been thinking about the present. Bad for the Pirates because obviously they needed to trade for the future and ended up with Xavier Nady, who is a fine player, but not the type of player they should have been going for.

Anyways, Perez ended up a player for the present too as there were injuries that forced him into start in the playoffs and he did a fantastic job in game 7 starting on 3 days rest.

So to answer the question, I think he'll end up, for the Mets, as a guy that frustrates you. One day he will dominate and the next he will walk way too many. Of course, he could end up being great if he stops walking batters, but I can't throw out the last 2 seasons based on 1 start.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    So to answer the question, I think he'll end up, for the Mets, as a guy that frustrates you. One day he will dominate and the next he will walk way too many. Of course, he could end up being great if he stops walking batters, but I can't throw out the last 2 seasons based on 1 start.
    In Peterson We Trust !! Fix him Rick.