Thread: Quick Thoughts; I was at game 7 tonight

Quick Thoughts; I was at game 7 tonight

Sorry guys i know theres 1 already and this will get merged but i just wanted to vent here really quick about the whole thing...

- Leaving Shea tonight with 55,000 depressed for the same reason as you are sucks.
    - Maybe our starting pitching just isnt as bad, or the lack of depth within it, as we had originally thought? NO complaints whatsoever for Maine and Perez, how could anybody really complain?
    - No complaints for Heilman either...he threw a bad pitch and was punished for it, after the home run a few guys behind me were going on about how "Heilman sucks", which I think is the essence of an idiot fan considering that chances are that we wouldn't of made it to game 7 of the nlcs without him, he had 1 bad pitch, could of happened to any pitcher in that situation.
    - Beltran had a decent game at best, kudos for the first inning, BUT, no excuses to end the season striking out looking on 3 pitches.
    -The teams main nucleus is young, and we will be back...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by unchartedm0nkey
    Sorry guys i know theres 1 already and this will get merged but i just wanted to vent here really quick about the whole thing...

- Leaving Shea tonight with 55,000 depressed for the same reason as you are sucks.
    - Maybe our starting pitching just isnt as bad, or the lack of depth within it, as we had originally thought? NO complaints whatsoever for Maine and Perez, how could anybody really complain?
    - No complaints for Heilman either...he threw a bad pitch and was punished for it, after the home run a few guys behind me were going on about how "Heilman sucks", which I think is the essence of an idiot fan considering that chances are that we wouldn't of made it to game 7 of the nlcs without him, he had 1 bad pitch, could of happened to any pitcher in that situation.
    - Beltran had a decent game at best, kudos for the first inning, BUT, no excuses to end the season striking out looking on 3 pitches.
    Good analysis man. Had to be the ultimate bummer to have been disappointed like that. Yeah how can you blame Perez? He pitched great. If you had told me he'd only give up 1 run I'd asummed we would have won. Maine too, he looked great and should be in the rotation next year. Beltran, yeah the caught looking part really pissed me off. That 1st pitch was the one he should have cranked on. Oh well what ya gonna do? You CAN'T leave a kazillion guys on base, THAT'S the bottom line !!

All League
    My take on what went wrong in the whole series for the Mets:

The pitching and defense showed up (for the most part), but someone forgot to invite the offense to the party.

Jets Insider VIP
    While I would have much, MUCH rathered seen Beltran take a hack at the ball, Wainwright was fooling everyone with that back door breaking ball. Valentine in his at bat, Floyd in his, Reyes in his, and then Beltran all had their knees buckled by that same exact pitch.

Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWT10
    While I would have much, MUCH rathered seen Beltran take a hack at the ball, Wainwright was fooling everyone with that back door breaking ball. Valentine in his at bat, Floyd in his, Reyes in his, and then Beltran all had their knees buckled by that same exact pitch.

Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

Guy making $327,000 strikes out a guy making $14.7 milion LOOKING!!
    If that was Arod, well....

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Beltran commited the "cardinal" sin. Hell, I'm forever reminding the girls on my daughters fastpitch team that going down swinging is ok, just looking is inexcusable.

All Pro
    After last night, GO TIGERS!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    St Louis has a very good team thepast few years. This series could of been different. A base hit was all that was lacking last night. That was the difference.
    I wouldn't over analyze. We played as good or better than them.
    Suppon was unhitable last night. We stayed with them until heilman gave up that home run. It was a game of inches last night. We can hold our heads up high.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    St Louis has a very good team thepast few years. This series could of been different. A base hit was all that was lacking last night. That was the difference.
    I wouldn't over analyze. We played as good or better than them.
    Suppon was unhitable last night. We stayed with them until heilman gave up that home run. It was a game of inches last night. We can hold our heads up high.
    I know but I'm still hurtin.

I'm still pissed at Beltran for not swinging. He may not get a Xmas card from me this year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by unchartedm0nkey

A good post. However, I think people are making too much of the Beltran (last at bat) in the 9th. I've now heard 3 media members say that if anybody even swung at that pitch their chances of hitting it were slight at best. Sometimes as fans we forget to just simply give credit to other athletes because they're not our own, but that pitch was just filthy. Beltran is a great player and the team's MVP. He's young and the Mets know along with their fans that they will be back. Not 2 or 3 years from now, but next year. Most people here in Atlanta think the Braves not winning the division is just a blip on the radar, but they have no idea that the tables have turned and that the Mets will run this division for several years.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen
    A good post. However, I think people are making too much of the Beltran (last at bat) in the 9th. I've now heard 3 media members say that if anybody even swung at that pitch their chances of hitting it were slight at best. Sometimes as fans we forget to just simply give credit to other athletes because they're not our own, but that pitch was just filthy. Beltran is a great player and the team's MVP. He's young and the Mets know along with their fans that they will be back. Not 2 or 3 years from now, but next year. Most people here in Atlanta think the Braves not winning the division is just a blip on the radar, but they have no idea that the tables have turned and that the Mets will run this division for several years.
    Yes it was a good pitch BUT if you swing you have a chance of hitting it, if you don't, your chances of hitting are ZERO! JMHO.

Three pitches, no swings. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is, still pissed.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen
    I agree with both of you on tipping your cap about the last pitch, but Beltran should have approached the at bat based on what we knew of this guy from the other night and for how he pitched the batters before. He started most of the at bats by trying to get ahead, which made that curve deadly, especially with 2 strikes, becasue if you looked for it he'd blow you away if you were wrong.

Beltran should've been looking for a first pitch fastball and trying to not let him get ahead of him. We were saying just as we watched him take the best pitch to hit in the at bat.

But I still think Willie should have sent Glavin up instead of Floyd to bunt the tying run into scoring position. Then see if Reyes or LoDuca could get them in.

All Pro
    Yeah, with all that was made of our pitching issues, our offense lost us this series. You just can't let Jeff Suppan kick your ass in two games. He isnt' that good.

All Pro
    Anyone besides me wondering how the hell Yadier Molina got so good???

And yeah, GO TIGERS.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathis81
    Guy making $327,000 strikes out a guy making $14.7 milion LOOKING!!
    If that was Arod, well....
    Please dont compare Arod post season to Beltran post season, see Beltran 2004, see 7 HR;s in 2 series against the Cards, see his game winning HR in Gm 1.

Arod deserves his post season choke rep, Beltran is no Arod.