Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Endy Chavez -- The Catch

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Endy Chavez -- The Catch

First, I'm sick from the loss. Real tough when the pitching staff is decimated with injuries. It was a good year, and I'll never forget sleeping on my office floor after the 16 inning win against Philly back in May. Hopefully these last 2 games were enough for Perez and Maine to realize just what they are capable of. Maybe next year these guys start to get it going.

A question for all: Does Endy's catch go down along side the over-the-shoulder World Series catch by Mays? Even though the Mets lost the game?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets
    First, I'm sick from the loss. Real tough when the pitching staff is decimated with injuries. It was a good year, and I'll never forget sleeping on my office floor after the 16 inning win against Philly back in May. Hopefully these last 2 games were enough for Perez and Maine to realize just what they are capable of. Maybe next year these guys start to get it going.

A question for all: Does Endy's catch go down along side the over-the-shoulder World Series catch by Mays? Even though the Mets lost the game?
    no..not even close

don't forget the alligator stretch on the foul ball a few innings earlier. It worked out for them but that could have been a big error

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not quite. If it was in the series.........maybe.

Btw, I'm still pissed at Beltran not swinging.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we won the NCLS after that catch and went into the WS... that catch would be talked about forever. However, since we lost... I think it gets talked about for around 2 weeks by the media and a few fans.

However, I think it was one of the greatest catches in an absolute critical part of the game EVER. Chavez reached up, over and beyond the wall to catch that ball. I'll be talking about it forever.

Fantastic Endy... hope you're back next year !!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aside from the obvious pain of losing game 7 and the season being over, one of the things that bothers me is that the catch, (one of?) the best play I've ever seen in baseball, will not take its rightful place as one of the great plays of all times, because in the end the Mets lost.
    If the won that would have been one of the most celebrated defensive plays in the history of the game. And I was there.
    I feel deprived, this was so close to being the game I would tell my children and grandchildren about being at when I'm old. Instead it's probably the most painful loss in Mets history. Probably the most painful personally in all of my sports rooting career. Jets-Broncos '98 and Jets-Steelers in '04, maybe Knicks in '94 come close, but this may be worse because the Mets were the better team all season, and because I was at this game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets

Nope. The catch will be forgotten because we didnt win.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regardless of the results, it will go down as one of the greatest postseason catches of all time for those who remember it. Unfortunately, it may not be remembered because the Mets lost.