Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad news liberals- finally an election day law that makes sense.....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Bad news liberals- finally an election day law that makes sense.....

[B]Supreme Court allows Arizona voter ID law
    Friday, October 20, 2006; 6:07 PM[/B]

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Friday that Arizona may require voters to present proof of citizenship when registering to vote and identification when they cast their ballots in the November 7 elections.

"Given the imminence of the election and the inadequate time to resolve the factual disputes, our action today shall of necessity allow the election to proceed without any injunction suspending the voter identification rules," the court said.

In 2004, Arizona voters approved Proposition 200, a measure designed to prevent illegal immigrants from voting. It required people to produce proof of citizenship, such as a passport, to register to vote, and picture ID, such as a driver's license, or two pieces of a nonphoto ID, in order to cast a ballot.

Last month, in a move also aimed at illegal immigrants, the House of Representatives approved a bill to require proof of U.S. citizenship to vote in federal elections.

Opponents of the Arizona law said it discriminated against minorities and the poor, who might not have funds to obtain the necessary proof of identification.

A federal judge ruled the state could enforce the law, but a U.S. appeals court issued an injunction blocking its enforcement. The Supreme Court set aside the appeals court's order, allowing the law to be in effect for the election and handing a victory to the state.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

This is the most insane topic in the whole election discussion.

Can anyone give me one good, rational reason why a voter should not have to show a form of ID to prove he/she is who he/she says he/she is? And why is this considered racist?

Unfreakingbelievable

One less way for liberals to cheat and steal elections.

Sounds like a good thing to me.....

[QUOTE=shakin318]This is the most insane topic in the whole election discussion.

Can anyone give me one good, rational reason why a voter should not have to show a form of ID to prove he/she is who he/she says he/she is? And why is this considered racist?

Unfreakingbelievable[/QUOTE]

How about because there are alot of American senior citizens who no longer drive or travel and therefore dont have a drivers license or passport. I guess if they dont have a picture ID, they shouldnt be allowed to vote... yeah thats sounds fair :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Can dead democrats show their death certificates too?

[QUOTE=kennyo7]How about because there are alot of American senior citizens who no longer drive or travel and therefore dont have a drivers license or passport. I guess if they dont have a picture ID, they shouldnt be allowed to vote... yeah thats sounds fair :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

What part of "two pieces of a nonphoto ID", didn't you comprehend.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb]Can dead democrats show their death certificates too?[/QUOTE]

that doesn't matter to dim lawmakers:

[QUOTE][B]House bill to require voter ID
    By Charles Hurt
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    September 21, 2006 [/B]

House bill to require voter ID
    By Charles Hurt
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    September 21, 2006

The House yesterday passed legislation that would require voters to show a valid photo identification in federal elections over the overwhelming objections of Democrats who compared the bill to segregation-era measures aimed at disenfranchising Southern blacks.

The Federal Election Integrity Act was approved on a nearly party-line 228-196 vote. Republicans backed the bill 224-3, with three nonvoters; Democrats opposed it 192-4, with five nonvoters. They were joined in opposition by the House's one independent member.

The bill, which faces an uncertain future in the Senate, is part of a Republican effort to complete before the November elections a package of proposals aimed at curbing illegal immigration and its effects on ordinary Americans.

The so-called "Voter ID" bill, aimed at stamping out voter fraud, would require voters in federal elections to provide picture identification by 2008 and provide proof of U.S. citizenship by 2010. It was among the recommendations made last year by the bipartisan Commission on Federal Election Reform, headed by former President Jimmy Carter, a Democrat, and former Secretary of State James A. Baker III, a Republican.

"Effective voter registration and voter identification are bedrocks of a modern election system," they wrote in their final report.

But Democrats, siding with groups that work on behalf of minorities and illegal aliens, called the bill a "modern-day poll tax" and said it would place an insurmountable burden on voters and infringe upon their voting rights.

Rep. Brian Bilbray, California Republican, countered that the real infringement upon voting rights would be allowing fraudulent votes by the dead or illegal "to cancel out legitimate votes."

"That is the violation of the Voters Rights Act that we have not addressed," he told colleagues before the vote.

Democrats, who have long demanded reforms to the federal voting process, yesterday dismissed Republican concerns about voter fraud.

"Show me the examples of the problem you're trying to solve," demanded Minority Whip Steny H. Hoyer, Maryland Democrat who accused Republicans of trying to appeal to the "fear and -- yes, perhaps -- the prejudices of people."

A Republican cited a study by Johns Hopkins University that found 1,500 dead people who had voted in recent elections. Mr. Hoyer belittled the study, saying no criminal convictions for voter fraud had been won in any of those cases. [I]yet 130,000 votes in Ohio were miscounted in the 2004 election[/I]

Mr. Bilbray pointed out that such convictions might be obtained if proper identification were required.

"Voter fraud is not something you can come back to after the fraud is committed," he said. "The person who voted for those dead people is long gone by the time it comes up on the record."

Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite, Florida Republican, urged support of the bill because, she said, it would prevent illegal aliens from voting in U.S. elections.

"It's outrageous and inexcusable that voters do not have to show proof of citizenship in order to vote in an election," she said. "Illegal immigrants are populating this country at an unprecedented number, and it is unjust and unfair to citizens of this country that noncitizens should have a hand in electing federal officials."

[B]Rep. Alcee L. Hastings, Florida Democrat, said he's more concerned about discouraging voters than he is about illegals voting. [/B]

"Nonparticipation in the election process is more of a problem in this country than noncitizens trying to vote," Mr. Hastings said.

Rep. John Lewis, Georgia Democrat, called the bill a "modern-day poll tax" and charged that the bill "is nothing less than voter suppression."

He also reminded the Republican chamber of its overwhelming support in July for renewing the Voting Rights Act, although many conservatives off Capitol Hill warned that portions of it are no longer necessary.

"Just three months ago, this body passed the reauthorization of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, admitting the sad fact that voter discrimination is still the reality," said Mr. Lewis, who said requiring identification at the polls is "an attack on the voting rights of millions of Americans."

Across the Capitol in the Senate, Democrats continued to slow-walk legislation approved by the House last week to construct 700 miles of fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border. The chamber voted yesterday 94-0 on a procedural motion to take up the bill.

Despite universal approval for taking up the legislation, Democratic leaders refused to grant "unanimous consent" agreements to speed up the process.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=shakin318]This is the most insane topic in the whole election discussion.

Unfreakingbelievable[/QUOTE]

no kidding, you would think this would already be a law. :huh:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=kennyo7]How about because there are alot of American senior citizens who no longer drive or travel and therefore dont have a drivers license or passport. I guess if they dont have a picture ID, they shouldnt be allowed to vote... yeah thats sounds fair :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

You can't be serious. Please tell me you're not actually serious.

You want people to admit the war in Iraq is a mistake, yet you can't admit that not having to show ID to vote is absolutely insane?

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan]What part of "two pieces of a nonphoto ID", didn't you comprehend.[/QUOTE]

Two nonphoto IDs could be used as a substitute to a photo ID.
    So i guess you will feel more secure if some someone uses a Library Card and Bus Pass, right? Whew ! I feel better now

[QUOTE=shakin318]You can't be serious. Please tell me you're not actually serious.

You want people to admit the war in Iraq is a mistake, yet you can't admit that not having to show ID to vote is absolutely insane?[/QUOTE]

I think this posting is absolutely insane. There are so few people going out to vote in the first place. Im not sure making people show ID prior to voting a LAW will make much difference.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=kennyo7]I think this posting is absolutely insane. There are so few people going out to vote in the first place. Im not sure making people show ID prior to voting a LAW will make much difference.[/QUOTE]

Oh it will make a difference, trust me. Illegal aliens hoping to continue living off our dime won't be able to vote democrat...dead people won't be able to vote democrat...family pets won't be able to vote democrat...crack whores promised a pack of smokes won't be able to vote democrat...identity theives won't be able to vote democrat 3 dozen times in the same election...

Insert diversionary ridiculous Diebold comeback here < >

Easy, simple answer.......National Citizen's Voter ID Card.

Issued at Birth or upon completing the process to become a citizen, giving the date it becomes effective (i.e. when they turn 18). Has a specific individual ID# and a Magstripe containing that number and a code number for verification.

Good in all states, of course, for National Elections (Senate, House, President).

People who lose the right have their activation code deactivated. Card will no longer function.

Why this is not the law of the land shows how the illigal immigrant lobby has more power than you could imagine. This is so logical, it hurts that anyone could even ponder disagreement.

[QUOTE=kennyo7]I think this posting is absolutely insane. There are so few people going out to vote in the first place. Im not sure making people show ID prior to voting a LAW will make much difference.[/QUOTE]

It prevents voter fraud, which was one of the issues that caused the Florida election ballot controversy in 2000. Liberals looooove to blame the recount issue, but when thousands of votes for Dems are from illegal aliens, pets and dead people - that simply shows that even after the recount the votes for Bush was far more than votes for Gore.

And I dislike Bush.

Your argument is absolutely stupid. I'd rather have a legitimate election than an illegitimate one, no matter who the winner is. If people want to vote, they should prove it is themselves. How would you like it if I were to impersonate you and vote for the guy you dislike? Thought so.

[QUOTE=shakin318]Oh it will make a difference, trust me. Illegal aliens hoping to continue living off our dime won't be able to vote democrat...dead people won't be able to vote democrat...family pets won't be able to vote democrat...crack whores promised a pack of smokes won't be able to vote democrat...identity theives won't be able to vote democrat 3 dozen times in the same election...

Insert diversionary ridiculous Diebold comeback here < >[/QUOTE]

Because there are certainly no republicans who get votes from dead people, pets or repeat voters :rolleyes:

This is a good idea precisely because it cuts both ways - a real voter identification program is essential to ensuring legitimate elections.

Hall Of Fame
    Making people prove that they are who they say they are is such a dumb idea with regards to something as inconsequential as voting. Sure, picture IDs are required to rent movies at Blockbuster, buy booze or check out a book from a school library, but for [I]elections[/I]...pfft, I think I prefer a little thing some of us call the Honor System, thank you very much. Someone's word is good enough for me!

Anyone who supports this law is a racist, anti-geriatric pig.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=doggin94it]Because there are certainly no republicans who get votes from dead people, pets or repeat voters :rolleyes: [/QUOTE]

If Republicans are benefitting from such anonymous voter shenanigans, then tell me why they are for the idea of ID cards virtually across the board, while the dems are against it virtually across the board?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=shakin318]If Republicans are benefitting from such anonymous voter shenanigans, then tell me why they are for the idea of ID cards virtually across the board, while the dems are against it virtually across the board?[/QUOTE]

Dem Picture ID:
    [img]http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/CindyWaa.jpg[/img]

Republican Picture ID:
    [img]http://mediamatters.org/static/images/tv_clips/michelle-malkin.jpg[/img]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb]Dem Picture ID:
    [img]http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/CindyWaa.jpg[/img]

Republican Picture ID:
    [img]http://mediamatters.org/static/images/tv_clips/michelle-malkin.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

that's just wrong.....funny...but wrong.....

My idea about voter ID

I would make our Social Security card photo ID with our number on the back magnetic strip like a credit card. Your pic would be updated every so often after reaching voting age.

To vote you swipe your card through a reader which records your number preventing anyone from voting more than once and approves or disapproves your right to vote (i.e. a convicted felon, etc.).

BTW, the problem in FL in '00 wasn't "voter" fraud, but counting fraud--the infamous "hanging chad" was simply dumb voters not following directions.