Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: E-mail that i sent to a friend who is crushed by the Mets loss...

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Avon by-the-Sea
    Posts
    181

    E-mail that i sent to a friend who is crushed by the Mets loss...

    This story kinda' explains the reason people fall in love with their favorite teams. I talk about the 04' seaon, but I have been a Jets fanatic since the early 80's... just for the record =)

    Enjoy...

    I hope you aren't 2 down after the Mets loss the other night.

    I remember in 04' I went to the Jets season opener against the Bengals, and Curtis martin put up almost 200 yards and the team looked awesome.

    04' was a really bad year for me, and the only thing getting me through was the Jets and how well they did that season. i really think they were the only thing that made me smile during that time.

    That year the Steelers started playing Rothesberger and they went on a 15 game winning steak leading into the the playoffs, everyone said they we unbeatable.

    The Jets started out the playoffs and upset San Diego in their stadium. then they had to go to Heins Field in Pittsburgh and play the Steelers. No one gave them any chance to win.

    After a really bad year i made some changes in my life and found a really cool apartment. The day i was moving into the new place was the same day as the game with Pittsburgh. So, i got all my friends over at like 8 am to start moving so i could be done and watching the game that evening.

    It's the end of the game and all we need is our kicker to hit a 40 yarder and we move onto the championship game and pull off one of the biggest upsets in playoff history. He misses. We go to overtime. He misses TWO more times. A total of THREE game winning field goals he misses. We loose.

    I was crushed. But as the game ended I looked around the room and realized I was in my great new place and the great season the jets had helped me to keep a positive attitude and it's what got me there.

    Hopefully you enjoyed the season as a whole, and you realize the great thing about sports is there is always next year. (thats kinda' the Jets unofficial slogan lol)

    TTYL, Jay

  2. #2
    well that's very nice, it puts everything in proper perspective

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    4,091
    For some reason, Baseball hurts more when you get close.. you play 162 games, then 3 rounds of playoffs.. only 4 teams make the playoffs in each League.. (AL, NL)

    so when you get there, hopes are high... and to get back unless you are the Yankees is not easy todo.

    I feel for the Met Fans across the country... I'm an A's fan, and at least my pain was over quick... the way the Mets lost in game 7 with a chance at the end is just Brutal to take.

    Time will heal

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Avon by-the-Sea
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by LETSGOJETS
    For some reason, Baseball hurts more when you get close.. you play 162 games, then 3 rounds of playoffs.. only 4 teams make the playoffs in each League.. (AL, NL)

    so when you get there, hopes are high... and to get back unless you are the Yankees is not easy todo.

    I feel for the Met Fans across the country... I'm an A's fan, and at least my pain was over quick... the way the Mets lost in game 7 with a chance at the end is just Brutal to take.

    Time will heal
    True

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Italian Riveria in Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    16,580
    Nice letter and I hope it helped make your friend feel better.

    My friends and I are also Met fans and were very disappointed too, but I just text messaged them on Friday and here's what the message said:

    "Ladies, the Mets blew it & we need to vent! The stretch H2 is picking us up around 10:30 p.m. Have a VIP table reserved at Hunk Mania. Bring plenty of Xanax and I'll have the Moet chilling in the limo. See U tonite."

    This worked quite well, we are all "over it" and we all can't wait for next season. Let's Go Mets!


  6. #6
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by LETSGOJETS
    For some reason, Baseball hurts more when you get close..
    Umm, don't take this the wrong way - but are you on crack?

    In baseball you can lose 3 games and still win an LCS or the World Series.

    Football is far more fatal. Playoff loses are devestating,

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    4,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies
    Umm, don't take this the wrong way - but are you on crack?

    In baseball you can lose 3 games and still win an LCS or the World Series.

    Football is far more fatal. Playoff loses are devestating,

    Not true for the simple fact that so many teams make the playoffs.

    actually It might even be more brutal to win 90-95 games in baseball and NOT make the playoffs... it has happened many times before. That is just wrong IMO..

    But in Football, the better team wins 95% of the time in the playoffs.

    Baseball a 7 game series is a must due to multiple pitching matchups.

  8. #8
    We need to put a "Doug Brien" disclaimer if you're going to be mentioning it in a post, preferably in the thread title.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies
    Umm, don't take this the wrong way - but are you on crack?

    In baseball you can lose 3 games and still win an LCS or the World Series.

    Football is far more fatal. Playoff loses are devestating,

    I disagree. Baseball fans invest way more time throughout the season than football fans. If you watch damn near every game starting in May, and your team loses a heartbreaking series in the playoffs, it stings.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,323
    Mets Nation is still very sad.. It is funny that I actually agreed with an assesment Mike and the Mad dog made when they interviewed Omar Minaya. They said how the Mets fans seem extremely hurt over the loss, and acknowlede the good season the Mets had but are extremely sad.. When the Yankees fans are MAD! Which usually happens. Yankees fans have a right to be mad though. They are lucky to be very spoiled... The Yankee fans are like that girl in Highschool who wrecked her car. And George s. is her father who just buys her a new and better car.

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by LETSGOJETS
    Not true for the simple fact that so many teams make the playoffs.
    Baseball send 8 - Football sends 12. BFD?

    It's not hockey or basketball.

    It seems to me that if your team loses 4 games out of 7, they really didn't deserve to advance - no matter how Game 7 may have shook oput - The Mets had 6 other games to prove themselves - plenty of opportunity to overcome any single event.

    Football? You have no safety net. A bad call can kill a season. A bad kick... well, you know the rest.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    I disagree. Baseball fans invest way more time throughout the season than football fans. If you watch damn near every game starting in May, and your team loses a heartbreaking series in the playoffs, it stings.
    that is patently ridiculous. Number of games does not equal fan intensity.

    in fact, that is why football is FAR MORE intense, imo.

    You lose a game in baseball, so what?

    you lose a game in Football, that's like a 10 game losing streak in baseball. Lose 2 in a row? That's 20 games all in the L column right there.

    That is why football is intense. Every game has significant meaning to the season's outcome. BAseball? Not even close.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Avon by-the-Sea
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    We need to put a "Doug Brien" disclaimer if you're going to be mentioning it in a post, preferably in the thread title.
    i agree =)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us