Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billboard on I-95 in Philly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Billboard on I-95 in Philly.

Today I saw a billboard in huge white letters with a blue background that said.

[SIZE=7][B]Santorum is Good
    for Senate. [/B] [/SIZE]

Playing to the religious right? Does he actually think he is closer to God than anyone else in the Senate? Frightening.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]Today I saw a billboard in huge white letters with a blue background that said.

[SIZE=7][B]Santorum is Good for Senate. [/B] [/SIZE]

Playing to the religious right? Does he actually think he is closer to God than anyone else in the Senate? Frightening.[/QUOTE]

Call me ignant, but where or how are you getting a religious reference out of that? :huh:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    How the hell does that message imply in any way that he is pandering to the religious right, or that he thinks he's closer to God than anyone in the senate? And what exactly frightens you about the message?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well...uhm...you see...if you take one "O" out of GOOD, then you have GOD.

Leave it to friggin, religious George W. Bush to force God into the English language.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is Good capitalized? I guess I am not doing it justice. But it is written like the letters are the white clouds in a perfect blue sky. When you are driving you take a second look because it looks like God not Good because of the color and it is capitalized.

[QUOTE=Warfish]Call me ignant, but where or how are you getting a religious reference out of that? :huh:[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318]How the hell does that message imply in any way that he is pandering to the religious right, or that he thinks he's closer to God than anyone in the senate? And what exactly frightens you about the message?[/QUOTE]

considering who started the thread you actually thought it would be something of substance or made sense???

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot the GOP doesn't pander to religious groups at all. You are right, why would I ever think of such a thing.

[QUOTE=shakin318]How the hell does that message imply in any way that he is pandering to the religious right, or that he thinks he's closer to God than anyone in the senate? And what exactly frightens you about the message?[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    CBTNY is the best. Spirit of the Dweeb is the best.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]considering who started the thread you actually thought it would be something of substance or made sense???[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]CBTNY is the best. Spirit of the Dweeb is the best.[/QUOTE]

I'll see your CBTNY and Weeb and raise you one JetMoses....

Anyone know where Moses has been? I surely do miss him... :(

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]Why is Good capitalized? I guess I am not doing it justice. But it is written like the letters are the white clouds in a perfect blue sky. When you are driving you take a second look because it looks like God not Good because of the color and it is capitalized.[/QUOTE]

hahahahaha

are you serious?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deconstructing the God squad
    Oct 19th 2006
    From The Economist print edition

Not all conservative Christians are Republicans

IT HAPPENS every election cycle. The Washington crowd rediscovers a strange tribe called “conservative Christians”. It doesn't often meet them, of course: there are very few Bible-thumpers at the bar at the Palm. But every other year the press pack remembers that, for some odd reason, such people have been given the vote—and sets about endowing them with awesome political power.

The press—Lexington included—swallowed Karl Rove's argument that the Republicans were robbed of a conclusive victory in 2000 because 4m evangelicals were not urged to the polls. In 2004, many journalists argued that George Bush's win was clinched by “values voters” who turned up to the polls in huge numbers to express their opposition to gay marriage.

This year the buzz is that the values voters could sit it out once again as a result of scandal and betrayal. The scandal is, of course, the Foley affair, involving a congressman, smutty e-mails and young men. The betrayal is revealed in a new book, “Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction” by David Kuo, a former White House staffer. Mr Kuo argues that the Bush administration was never serious about “compassionate conservatism”. White House operatives treated faith-based social services as a way of winning votes; some of them even referred to Christian activists in private as “nuts”, or “goofy”.

Mr Kuo's book will no doubt add to Republican despondency. But it would be a pity if the book reinforced exaggerated claims about values voters. Post mortems on the 2004 election revealed the idea that “values” were the most important issue in the election was based on a misreading of the polls. Iraq and terrorism were listed separately. But the two together were the chief worry for 34% of the electorate, compared with just 22% who plumped for values. This misreading rested on a bigger misunderstanding of the role that conservative Christians—ie, Christians who identify with conservative denominations—play in American politics.

These mysterious people actually make up a third of the population. Common sense would suggest that they do not think alike. Now two academics have found data to support common sense. In a new study, “The Truth about Conservative Christians”, Andrew Greeley and Michael Hout, two sociologists, explode some cherished myths.

The first myth is that conservative Christians put “values” above material interest. From the left, Thomas Frank (in his book “What's the Matter with Kansas?”) argued that the reason why the Republicans have done so well in that state—and by extension across the board in meat-and-potatoes America—is that they have used values to dupe ordinary Americans into voting against their interests. From the right, Gary Bauer, a failed Republican presidential candidate who now heads a group called American Values, praises voters “who place ideals over immediate physical needs”. In fact, though, class matters: poorer Protestants are much less likely to vote Republican than affluent ones. And conservative Protestants are actually more likely to support progressive taxation than “mainline” Protestants are.

The second myth is that they have cast-iron views on morality. In fact, only 14% of them oppose abortion in all circumstances, even when the mother's life is in jeopardy—whilst 22% of them are consistently pro-choice. On many moral issues conservative Christians are moving, slowly, in the same direction as the rest of the population. Large majorities support sex education in schools. Up to half of them have lived together before getting married. Opposition to homosexual sex is declining.

The biggest myth of all is that conservative Christians are dyed-in-the-wool Republicans. Mr Bush certainly enjoyed a big lead (17%) among weekly churchgoers in the last election. But he enjoyed a bigger lead (19%) among married people with children; in a closely divided country you can slice the electorate into all sorts of groups that “delivered” the election.

Churchgoers up for grabs
    Bill Clinton did significantly better among conservative Christians with below average incomes than either George Bush senior or Bob Dole. This year the Democrats could repeat his success. A Gallup poll conducted on October 6th-8th shows that among “white frequent churchgoers” the margin of support for Republicans over Democrats has shrunk from 22% in September to nothing today. Ken Blackwell, a leading social conservative who is running for the governorship of Ohio, is more than 20 points behind his opponent.

Mr Kuo is not alone in producing evidence that some in the White House regard the religious right as goofy. In his latest tome, “State of Denial”, Bob Woodward quotes Mr Bush describing Mr Blackwell as a “nut”. This certainly suggests cynicism, but also shows that the White House treats Christian activists like any other pressure group—to be stroked, but not bowed down to. Mr Bush has done little about abortion because he knows it appeals only to a fringe.

One should not follow Messrs Greeley and Hout too far. Christian activists are an important part of the Republican coalition—influential in vetting candidates for primaries, getting out the vote and putting pressure on Congress. But these elites do not speak for an undifferentiated mass of Christian Americans. Conservative Christians may put a bit more emphasis on values in making political choices—but they also consider more mundane things. The good news for Republicans is that this will limit the fallout from Mark Foley's behaviour or Mr Kuo's revelations. The bad news is that it means that Christian conservatives will do what other Americans are doing: judge the ruling party's performance on earthly things like Iraq and good management, and find it wanting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you familiar with Santorum? You think it is a coincidence? That is laughable. Read up on Santorum.

[QUOTE=pauliec]hahahahaha

are you serious?[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]Why is Good capitalized? I guess I am not doing it justice. But it is written like the letters are the white clouds in a perfect blue sky. When you are driving you take a second look because it looks like God not Good because of the color and it is capitalized.[/QUOTE]
    Switch to de-caf.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]Switch to de-caf.[/QUOTE]

or put the crack-pipe away for good.....

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]Are you familiar with Santorum? You think it is a coincidence? That is laughable. Read up on Santorum.[/QUOTE]

yes, I'm familiar with Santorum, I lived in the Philly area for 4 years.

Nevertheless, what the hell would "Santorum is [B]God [/B]for Senate" mean anyway? What kind of subliminal message is that?

Also, how would he be pandering to the religious right if he is proclaiming himself God? That's just blasphemous.

Did the billboard have a halo over the "S" in Santorum? Were there angels and harps and maybe some unnatural lighting coming from behind the sign?

Santorum is Good for Senate.

I still don't see it. What did the font look like? How were the words arranged? I mean, with the capitalization like that, that would be the proper way to title a book, magazine, song, or sign -- as in, maybe it's not supposed to be a sentence, rather a title of some sort.

Or, Maybe Santorum is God. Who Knows. Or Maybe they Just Like Capitalizing Certain WOrds. try IT. iT's FUN.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]I'll see your CBTNY and Weeb and raise you one JetMoses....

Anyone know where Moses has been? I surely do miss him... :([/QUOTE]

I believe he resides on Jets-Insider.com these days. I believe he had some issues here, and vowed not to return. I miss him too actually, as much as he and I would argue.

And CR. Sorry bro, this topic is a reach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Great sign. You can't escape God or his wrath to come.......

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99]Great sign. You can't escape God or his wrath to come.......[/QUOTE]

The Deeeeeeemons are cooooooming for you Sackdance. Repent and Worship the DARK LORD now, or forever will he haunt your SOOOOOOUL!!!!

Such Folly. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    by the way Santorum is trailing by double digits. He's toast.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]by the way Santorum is trailing by double digits. He's toast.[/QUOTE]

what poll was that- from the latest Daily kos on line poll???

Last poll out had him down by five....

the only poll here in the northeast where a candidate is down by double digits in what was suppose to be a close race had Joe Lieberman kicking Ted Lamonts azz in CT.....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 10-25-2006 at 10:57 AM.