Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Garciaparra

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,433

    Garciaparra

    Garciaparra filed for free agency..I think the Mets should go after him to play 2nd base..He can play any position in the infield...He can play 2nd base no problem and would be great insurance as a backup at short, 3rd and 1st if needed...

    Mets obviously need more clutch hitting(based on the playoffs), especially some righty bats..And Garciaparra is clutch.

    Valentine is decent but showed in the playoffs that decent pitching can shut him down..I think we need to go in a different direction there and I think Garciaparra would be a great fit if he agreed to play 2nd.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    Garciaparra filed for free agency..I think the Mets should go after him to play 2nd base..He can play any position in the infield...He can play 2nd base no problem and would be great insurance as a backup at short, 3rd and 1st if needed...

    Mets obviously need more clutch hitting(based on the playoffs), especially some righty bats..And Garciaparra is clutch.

    Valentine is decent but showed in the playoffs that decent pitching can shut him down..I think we need to go in a different direction there and I think Garciaparra would be a great fit if he agreed to play 2nd.

    no way, alfonso soriano...........he can play second base or left field....two positions we need to fill. he hits a ton of homeruns, drives in runs and will steal a ton of bases.

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Monroe, NY
    Posts
    672
    Key here is needing clutch player, Mets hitters were invisible much of the time. Nomar Garciaparra could fill that need.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by HVGREEN
    Key here is needing clutch player, Mets hitters were invisible much of the time. Nomar Garciaparra could fill that need.

    no way....he's damaged goods, i'll pass.

  5. #5
    Garciaparra will get injured yet again next year... Plus, at this stage, he'd probably make a really crappy second baseman. I think he'll end up as a first baseman/DH somewhere.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by HVGREEN
    Key here is needing clutch player, Mets hitters were invisible much of the time. Nomar Garciaparra could fill that need.
    What does that mean? What players need replacing that aren't clutch enough - and do remember that in baseball you will only succeed 1/3rd of the time at most. So what players need replacing because they aren't clutch enough? Wright? Reyes? Beltran? Delgado? Green?

    The problem with Valentin is not that he's not clutch - it's that he's not a good hitter. Same with Endy Chavez.

  7. #7
    he can barely walk......second base???????? pass.

    lets get lugo.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    399
    No thanks...I'll pass.

  9. #9
    If not Soriano I say Rich Aurillio will be coming here...

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    Garciaparra filed for free agency..I think the Mets should go after him to play 2nd base..He can play any position in the infield...He can play 2nd base no problem and would be great insurance as a backup at short, 3rd and 1st if needed...

    Mets obviously need more clutch hitting(based on the playoffs), especially some righty bats..And Garciaparra is clutch.

    Valentine is decent but showed in the playoffs that decent pitching can shut him down..I think we need to go in a different direction there and I think Garciaparra would be a great fit if he agreed to play 2nd.
    I dont think that Garciaparra, at this stage in his career, can play 2nd base "no problem".

    There are other options for 2nd. Aurelia, Lugo, Durham, Loretta, and others.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,745
    Garciaparra = great guy, great attitude, a guy that really knows how to play the game and play it well.

    With that being said, he is now too injury riddled and I wouldn't sign him IMO.

    My options for 2nd base: Soriano, Durham, and Lugo in that order.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 10-31-2006 at 11:03 PM.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    Garciaparra = great guy, great attitude, a guy that really knows how to play the game and play it well.

    With that being said, he is now too injury riddled and I wouldn't sign him IMO.

    My options for 2nd base: Soriano, Durham, and Lugo in that order.
    Out of that 3 I'd take Ray Durham at 2nd. If we're lucky enough to get Soriano I want him playing LF.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofqueens718
    Out of that 3 I'd take Ray Durham at 2nd. If we're lucky enough to get Soriano I want him playing LF.

    if we get soriano and some starting pitching i don't see how we don't get to the WS.

    1-reyes
    2-loduca
    3-beltran
    4-delgado
    5-soriano
    6-wright
    7/8- chavez/2nd baseman
    9-pitcher

    that's a pretty stacked lineup

    with a rotation that looks something like this:

    1-martinez (when he come back)
    2-zito
    3-glavine
    4-el duque
    5-maine/perez

    you could also make an argument for a guy like heilman, humber or pelfrey to be in there somewhere (man we're gonna be stacked with pitching talent if we wind up signing or trading for just one starter) we also should have bradford, duaner and of course wagner (who needs to be working on a 3rd pitch this offseason). hopefully we re-sign darren oliver......

    it should be a nice year for mets baseball....let's hope minaya goes out and works a little more magic this winter....that and we should see reyes and wright in full bloom next year....i wouldn't be surprised to see reyes come close to about 25 hr's next season with 20 triples and 60 sb's.......and if we do get soriano you can add 35 hr's and another 40 sb's....man is that tantalizing.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    Garciaparra = great guy, great attitude, a guy that really knows how to play the game and play it well.

    With that being said, he is now too injury riddled and I wouldn't sign him IMO.

    My options for 2nd base: Soriano, Durham, and Lugo in that order.
    Garciaparra and Rich Aurilia both also kill Left-Handed Pitching.

    For that reason and that reason only, Id sign either of them to be our Second Baseman over Lugo also. Not to mention they'd come a hell of a lot cheaper then Soriano who is demanding Carlos Beltran type money.

    As much as I dont like Ray Durham though, he's probably the best option for us right now though.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 11-03-2006 at 08:30 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    if we get soriano and some starting pitching i don't see how we don't get to the WS.
    An 83 win team, whose 2-4 starters were Suppan, Jeff Weaver, and Reyes, just won the WS. No lineup or team guarentees a spot in the WS. If you haven't learned by now, it's time to: The playoffs are a crap shoot. The best teams don't always win. Not even close to it.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    An 83 win team, whose 2-4 starters were Suppan, Jeff Weaver, and Reyes, just won the WS. No lineup or team guarentees a spot in the WS. If you haven't learned by now, it's time to: The playoffs are a crap shoot. The best teams don't always win. Not even close to it.

    that 83 win team also had a much better record before they went into a bad funk towards the end there. they were a better team than that 83 wins shows. i know no lineup guarantees a spot in the WS, i've been watching the yankees prove it for the last 6 years. now lineup coupled with some pretty goiod pitching and defense is a pretty good bet to at least make it to the championship series with more than a 50/50 shot..........and the playoffs aren't necessarily a crap-shoot....it's just that sometimes some teams get hot at the right time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us