Thread: Six Arab states join rush to go nuclear

Six Arab states join rush to go nuclear

[url]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2436948,00.html[/url]

The move, which follows the failure by the West to curb Iran’s controversial nuclear programme, could see a rapid spread of nuclear reactors in one of the world’s most unstable regions, stretching from the Gulf to the Levant and into North Africa.

The countries involved were named by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as Algeria, Egypt, Morocco and Saudi Arabia. Tunisia and the UAE have also shown interest.

All want to build civilian nuclear energy programmes, as they are permitted to under international law. But the sudden rush to nuclear power has raised suspicions that the real intention is to acquire nuclear technology which could be used for the first Arab atomic bomb.

Do you think one of the reasons we are in the region is because we could see the nuclear threat coming, even before we invaded Iraq? I'm sure our gov't/Bush/Rumsfeld would not publicly say that, but could it have been a motivator all along?

[QUOTE=JCnflies]Do you think one of the reasons we are in the region is because we could see the nuclear threat coming, even before we invaded Iraq? I'm sure our gov't/Bush/Rumsfeld would not publicly say that, but could it have been a motivator all along?[/QUOTE]

Well I know the gov't doesn't tell all, but this is certainly a motivator now!!!!!!!!!!

It could also help explain why things are getting worse as in last months escalating violence toward US troops which by the way is continuing almost unabated it seems:

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/04/world/middleeast/04sniper.html[/url]

I think it is, and I appreciate th e link, but I'll go blind before I take seriously anything the NYT has to say on the issue. Not only have they been shown to fabricate stories, there bias is way over the top. For my liberal info, I prefer Newsday and occassionally the News:)

[QUOTE=JCnflies]I think it is, and I appreciate th e link, but I'll go blind before I take seriously anything the NYT has to say on the issue. Not only have they been shown to fabricate stories, there bias is way over the top. For my liberal info, I prefer Newsday and occassionally the News:)[/QUOTE]

I may be a bit partial to the link as that picture there is one of my old units....

"the Second Battalion, Eighth Marines". 2nd BN is usually caught in some serious "meat grinders".

I do however, think that the violence is escalating and the topic link here may have something to do with it.