Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The more-than-$2-trillion war

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The more-than-$2-trillion war

Two scholars, one a Nobel Prize winner, revisit their estimate of the true cost of the Iraq war – and find that $2 trillion was too low. They consider not only the current and future budgetary costs, but the economic impact of lives lost, jobs interrupted and oil prices driven higher by political uncertainty in the Middle East.

There are 2.6 million veterans currently receiving disability pay, including a sobering 40 percent of the soldiers who served during the four-week-long Gulf War in 1991. Accrued liabilities for U.S. federal employees’ and veterans’ benefits now total $4.5 trillion. Indeed, our debt for veterans’ health and disability payments has risen by $228 billion in the past year alone.

[url]http://niemanwatchdog.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=background.view&backgroundid=00138[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    didn't read the article, but were either of these Nobel prize winners quoted?

[IMG]http://ginacobb.typepad.com/gina_cobb/images/carter_friend_of_arafat.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice way to add to the thread. Ignore, I mean stay the course.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]didn't read the article, but were either of these Nobel prize winners quoted? I just want to be a wisea$$ and ignore the actual thread.

[IMG]http://ginacobb.typepad.com/gina_cobb/images/carter_friend_of_arafat.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    classic coming from such a productive poster such as yourself...

[QUOTE=cr726]Nice way to add to the thread. Ignore, I mean stay the course.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. You are the best.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]classic coming from such a productive poster such as yourself...[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]didn't read the article, but were either of these Nobel prize winners quoted?

[IMG]http://ginacobb.typepad.com/gina_cobb/images/carter_friend_of_arafat.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

The entire scripting was theirs...

[I]"Just as going to war was a matter of choice, staying in Iraq is also a matter of choice. There may be costs associated with leaving. But there will be costs associated with staying. Every day we stay in Iraq we accrue costs that will be reflected in budget outlays, lost productivity and individual pain and suffering for decades to come. We need to ask: [B]are they outweighed by the benefits?[/B]" [/I]

Joseph Stiglitz, a former chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors and chief economist at the World Bank, teaches at Columbia University. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in economics in 2001. [email]jes322@columbia.edu[/email]

Linda Bilmes teaches public finance at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard. [email]linda_bilmes@harvard.edu[/email]

I have posted their email addresses so you can question them directly.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone interested in knowing what the west is up against should take the time to watch [URL=http://www.obsessionthemovie.com/]this movie[/URL]

Political correctness, appeasement and the absolute refusal to acknowledge the obvious and growing threat will be our downfall.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about you but i feel alot safer

when corey lidle steered his plane into a building i knew it wasn't terrorism because we killed all the terrorists already by going to war in Iraq.

so much safer - thanks Bush.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318]Anyone interested in knowing what the west is up against should take the time to watch [URL=http://www.obsessionthemovie.com/]this movie[/URL]

Political correctness, appeasement and the absolute refusal to acknowledge the obvious and growing threat will be our downfall.[/QUOTE]

Seeing the costs of the Iraqi war in this thread, do you think that we should spend more to go to war?

Is there another methodology we could attempt first, second? Why is the "west up against" this?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Is there another methodology we could attempt first, second? Why is the "west up against" this?[/QUOTE]

Yep. If it was up to me I'd have stealth assassins taking out every mf'er calling for the death of America, here at home and abroad.

And are you serious about what the "west is up against?" Wake up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318]Yep. If it was up to me I'd have stealth assassins taking out every mf'er calling for the death of America, here at home and abroad.

And are you serious about what the "west is up against?" Wake up[/QUOTE]

My question was [B]WHY [/B] not what....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]My question was [B]WHY [/B] not what....[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry. Missed that.

The "why" is because these worthless sub-human troglodytes who haven't contributed anything worthwhile to mankind in a thousand years seek a global caliphate in which non-muslims are slaughtered and eradicated, women are treated like dogs and there's no more football.

Hope that answers your question.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318]Oh, sorry. Missed that.

The "why" is because these worthless sub-human troglodytes who haven't contributed anything worthwhile to mankind in a thousand years seek a global caliphate in which non-muslims are slaughtered and eradicated, women are treated like dogs and there's no more football.

Hope that answers your question.[/QUOTE]

No more FOOTBALL!!!!! Let's nuke'em :D

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=bitonti]I don't know about you but i feel alot safer

when corey lidle steered his plane into a building i knew it wasn't terrorism because we killed all the terrorists already by going to war in Iraq.

so much safer - thanks Bush.[/QUOTE]

actually, you're still out there.
    your stream of unpatriotic propaganda has not stopped,
    so, no we are not safer yet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]actually, you're still out there.
    so, no we are not safer yet.[/QUOTE]

Where does this Patriotic/Un-Patriotic rhetoric evolve from? This is (should be) and elected gov't and not a royalty.

Please advise. Thanks

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Where does this Patriotic/Un-Patriotic rhetoric evolve from? This is (should be) and elected gov't and not a royalty.

Please advise. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Get a VIP membership and search on his posts
    than get back to us
    Dont be put off by the number-theyre pretty repetitive
    and lightweight

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]actually, you're still out there.
    so, no we are not safer yet.[/QUOTE]

only when there are no critics of the President roaming freely can this country be considered safe.

flushing jet there's a document called the US Constitution and a section called "the first ammendment" I suggest you read it. FYI this is the same document Bush swore to protect and then wiped his a$$ with it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few quotes to think about:

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” Dr. MLK, Jr.

"The practice of discernment is part of higher consciousness. Discernment is not just a step up from judgement. In life's curriculum, it is the opposite of judgement. Through judgement a man reveals what he needs to confront and learn. Through discernment, one reveals what he has mastered." -- Quote from 'Love Without End' by Glenda Green

"A nation or civilization that continues to produce soft-minded men purchases its own spiritual death on the installment plan." Dr. MLK Jr.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. --George Bernard Shaw

"Authoritarian government required to speak, is silent...Representative government required to speak, LIES with impunity". -- Napoleon Bonaparte"

"The high office of President has been used to foment a plot to destroy the Americans freedom, and before I leave office I must inform the citizen of his plight." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy speaking at Columbia University, 10 days before his assassination

"We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the world - no longer a Government of free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of small groups of dominant men." --Woodrow Wilson U.S. President

"Your failure to be informed, does not make me a wacko. -- John Loeffler"

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=bitonti]only when there are no critics of the President roaming freely can this country be considered safe.

flushing jet there's a document called the US Constitution and a section called "the first ammendment" I suggest you read it. FYI this is the same document Bush swore to protect and then wiped his a$$ with it.[/QUOTE]

said the person who wants to give the rights of americans
    to our enemies

If you can read,
    there's parts that come before the amendments
    like:
    the Vesting Clause of Article II which states "The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America"
    do you understand what that means
    ill break it down all simple-like for ya
    he's the boss
    he can actually DO things
    like protect our nation
    you were so used to bj doing nothing i know
    its like the call at the end of the browns game
    dont like it?
    try to change the rulebook
    or move to europe-youd fit in great there

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any of you brilliant liberals calculate how much the American taxpayers have shelled out to fight the "War on Poverty"? How's that going?

How about how much it's cost to keep rapists and murderers and child molesters warm and comfy in their cells while they await endless appeals?

Didn't think so.