Thread: Connerly Criticized for Klan Comments

Connerly Criticized for Klan Comments

Connerly, who is black, defended his remark, saying he accepts support for banning affirmative action wherever he finds it.

[url]http://www.forbes.com/business/healthcare/feeds/ap/2006/11/04/ap3145918.html[/url]

[QUOTE]Ward Connerly, a California businessman who is pushing the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative and helped to get similar measures passed elsewhere, was quoted in a documentary examining affirmative action. The measure on Tuesday's ballot would ban the use of race and gender preferences in state government and university admissions.

In a video posted to the Web site YouTube.com, Connerly is shown saying, [B][U]"If the Ku Klux Klan thinks that equality is right, God bless them. Thank them for finally reaching the point where logic and reason are being applied instead of hate."[/U][/B]

Connerly, who is black, defended his remark, saying he accepts support for banning affirmative action wherever he finds it.

[B][U]"Throughout my life I have made absolutely clear my disdain for the KKK," Connerly said in a written statement Friday. "However, like all Americans, I hope that this group will move beyond its ugly history and agree that equality before the law is the ideal. If they or any group accepts equality for all people, I will be the first to welcome them."[/U][/B] [/QUOTE]

Reading this over a few times, I see nothing particularly offensive here. Can someone explain the specificity of the offensive nature as they see it?

Interestingly, if Osama Bin Laden came forward and made a statement that Jihad was wrong, equallity for all faiths was right, live and let live the best choice......I can guarantee you that our own Liberal Democrat Americans would be the first to line up and praise such comments. Rightfully so, as anything that makes our enemies in this word "less evil" is good IMO.

Doesn't mean I still wouldn't want OBL dead as dog****, lol, but it'd be a step in the right direction at least.

One question here is why is a Black Man endorsing the KKK? Did he forget the history of that group?

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]One question here is why is a Black Man endorsing the KKK? Did he forget the history of that group?[/QUOTE]

I don't see any "endorsement" here. I see praise for an apparent move in the right direction on an issue from a group previously on the very wrong side of said issue.

Should we not be working to move extremist groups towards logic, peace and understanding.....towards the mainstream view of things?

For example, if the KKK were to put out a statement that it no longer backed ANY hate-based actions towards other races, and instead was dedicating itself to equallity and justice for all, what would you say if you were a public official, and asked about that statement?

[QUOTE=Warfish]I don't see any "endorsement" here. I see praise for an apparent move in the right direction on an issue from a group previously on the very wrong side of said issue.

Should we not be working to move extremist groups towards logic, peace and understanding.....towards the mainstream view of things?

For example, if the KKK were to put out a statement that it no longer backed ANY hate-based actions towards other races, and instead was dedicating itself to equallity and justice for all, what would you say if you were a public official, and asked about that statement?[/QUOTE]

Given the 150 year history of bad intentions to the African American community I would take a wait and see approach. I would still have my rifle in hand though.... :)

I do think that we should be working towards logic, peace, and understanding with extremist groups to get them to think like most people do.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]One question here is why is a Black Man endorsing the KKK? Did he forget the history of that group?[/QUOTE]

Ward Connerly is a Conservative Black Man who wants
    the crutch of Racial and Gender preferences abolished

So of course hes anathema to libs, the MSM the Black Establishment etc

It was sarcastic / ironic but of course libs just hear KKK and filter
    everything else out
    whatta you expect
    They think Kerry was supporting servicemen with his statements

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Given the 150 year history of bad intentions to the African American community I would take a wait and see approach. I would still have my rifle in hand though.... :)

I do think that we should be working towards logic, peace, and understanding with extremist groups to get them to think like most people do.[/QUOTE]

out of curiousity, what are your thoughts of an American president inviting a terrorist like Yassir Arafat to America and signing treaty's with someone of that ilk?

[QUOTE=flushingjet]Ward Connerly is a Conservative Black Man who wants
    the crutch of Racial and Gender preferences abolished

So of course hes anathema to libs, the MSM the Black Establishment etc

It was sarcastic / ironic but of course libs just hear KKK and filter
    everything else out
    whatta you expect
    They think Kerry was supporting servicemen with his statements[/QUOTE]

Dude, I am a small independent businessman. I don't use the "crutch" of race to gain any leverage. I do know that there are business challenges and that general businesses use the "crutch" of being who they are to get business.

No bid contracts for Katrina/Iraq proved that.

Like I said before, I am for the movement of extremist groups towards logic, peace and understanding. However, just because they say that doesn't mean that they are there day one or year 50.

I will keep my rifle close by....

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Given the 150 year history of bad intentions to the African American community I would take a wait and see approach. I would still have my rifle in hand though.... :)

I do think that we should be working towards logic, peace, and understanding with extremist groups to get them to think like most people do.[/QUOTE]

No question Dawgg, you take every action, every word, with a two-ton BOULDER of salt. But as with all things, when evil gives you the smallest glimpse of a chink in their armor, or a step in the right direction, it is the duty of all good willed men to praise that step, or shove your sword (proverbially speaking) into that chink.

Of course their history is horrid. But if truth, logic, the good of the human spirit can eventually overcome even their dark hearts....well, it's worth it to work towards that goal.

Obviosuly it's all political in nature, and I am speaking more in the "grand scheme", but I just don't see anything so over-the-top here as to be objectionable.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]out of curiousity, what are your thoughts of an American president inviting a terrorist like Yassir Arafat to America and signing treaty's with someone of that ilk?[/QUOTE]

I keep my rifle close by.....

[QUOTE=Warfish]No question Dawgg, you take every action, every word, with a two-ton BOULDER of salt. But as with all things, when evil gives you the smallest glimpse of a chink in their armor, or a step in the right direction, it is the duty of all good willed men to praise that step, or shove your sword (proverbially speaking) into that chink.

Of course their history is horrid. But if truth, logic, the good of the human spirit can eventually overcome even their dark hearts....well, it's worth it to work towards that goal.

Obviosuly it's all political in nature, and I am speaking more in the "grand scheme", but I just don't see anything so over-the-top here as to be objectionable.[/QUOTE]

I just can't forget about the lynchings and hangings. The history of these guys is off the charts in my community and it is documented in some parts of the US.

A lot of their atrocities are not because they held the power in the towns they did carnage to my people in....

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]I just can't forget about the lynchings and hangings. The history of these guys is off the charts in my community and it is documented in some parts of the US.

A lot of their atrocities are not because they held the power in the towns they did carnage to my people in....[/QUOTE]

By that logic, should I depise and distrust every Englishman I see? They slaughtered my people, time and time again. Did far worse than lynching too, if you read some of the more grusome histories.....

Again, the KKK is evil. No one will debate that (excpet for them I suppose). And any time I can move evil a little over to the "good" side, I do it.

[QUOTE=Warfish]By that logic, should I depise and distrust every Englishman I see? They slaughtered my people, time and time again. Did far worse than lynching too, if you read some of the more grusome histories.....

Again, the KKK is evil. No one will debate that (excpet for them I suppose). And any time I can move evil a little over to the "good" side, I do it.[/QUOTE]

Good dialog here. At some point I am sure that they will get into the good graces of the African American Community. I just don't see it happening now or in the near future.

They have a lot of baggage to move and it will take time. Maybe Ward Connerly is ahead of a lot of people in my community.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Good dialog here. At some point I am sure that they will get into the good graces of the African American Community. I just don't see it happening now or in the near future.

They have a lot of baggage to move and it will take time. Maybe Ward Connerly is ahead of a lot of people in my community.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it, actually....he IS likely playing politics (don't they all?) And of course, a hate-group is a very different animal than a Nation-State (and of course racism-based-violence alot more recent than what happened to my poor Scottish ancestors). So you have some legit points.

I guess all I am saying is that pushing them (no matter how distatseful it may be) towards the "good guy" side is a noble deed, even if done for non-noble reasons. I'm not saying the KKK wil EVER be "acceptable", and frankly they shouldn't be.....hate based on skin color s assinine and repulsive.

Hell there is plenty about other human beings to hate WITHOUT taking some lame genetic chance (i.e. what race you happen to be born into) into consideration. Hate people for GOOD reasons......Like being an arssehole. Or being a racist. Or being a Pats fan. Good LOGICAL reasons.

Just cause you have a permanent tan and I look like a flame-broiled Lobster after ten second in the sun, that is no reason for us not to get along, eh :D

I don't know I might be wrong but wasn't he being sarcastic in this statement? It sounded to me like hey they're against affirmative action because they believe in equality and so do I so how do you like that I agree on something with the KKK. It is in no way a support of the KKK.

Warfish as far as your analogy to OBL I think it's a good one but if he did say that I don't think liberals would applaud him. He has to be made to pay a price for his crimes. An expresion of an idea does not wipe the slate clean.

CB are you aware that Arafat was also welcomed into Israel? Did you know he payed a shiva call on Mrs. Rabin after the assasination? A country does not get to pick it's enemies. By that time he had renounced terrorism and Israel (including Rabin who looked like he was going to throw up when he had to shake hands with Arafat) looked at him as the negotiating partner who gave them the best chance for peace.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]I don't know I might be wrong but wasn't he being sarcastic in this statement? It sounded to me like hey they're against affirmative action because they believe in equality and so do I so how do you like that I agree on something with the KKK. It is in no way a support of the KKK.

Warfish as far as your analogy to OBL I think it's a good one but if he did say that I don't think liberals would applaud him. He has to be made to pay a price for his crimes. An expresion of an idea does not wipe the slate clean.

CB are you aware that Arafat was also welcomed into Israel? Did you know he payed a shiva call on Mrs. Rabin after the assasination? A country does not get to pick it's enemies. By that time he had renounced terrorism and Israel (including Rabin who looked like he was going to throw up when he had to shake hands with Arafat) looked at him as the negotiating partner who gave them the best chance for peace.[/QUOTE]

I am well aware of that and vividly remember the picture of Arafat's and Rabin's wife sitting on the couch talking...but he (Jetdawg) seems to hold grudges for a very long time, which is why I asked the question...

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]I don't know I might be wrong but wasn't he being sarcastic in this statement? It sounded to me like hey they're against affirmative action because they believe in equality and so do I so how do you like that I agree on something with the KKK. It is in no way a support of the KKK.

CB are you aware that Arafat was also welcomed into Israel? Did you know he payed a shiva call on Mrs. Rabin after the assasination? A country does not get to pick it's enemies. By that time he had renounced terrorism and Israel (including Rabin who looked like he was going to throw up when he had to shake hands with Arafat) looked at him as the negotiating partner who gave them the best chance for peace.[/QUOTE]

Arafat never renounced terrorism.
    He would have signed up for BJs plan if he did.
    Dying of AIDS was too good of a death for him.

I don't really care but this is a dumb comment. The KKK has never been about equality, so why make that statement?

All Pro
    [img]http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/robert_byrd.jpg[/img]

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]I am well aware of that and vividly remember the picture of Arafat's and Rabin's wife sitting on the couch talking...but he (Jetdawg) seems to hold grudges for a very long time, which is why I asked the question...[/QUOTE]

I think that I may hold "grudges" against the KKK but they have killed, raped and maimed African Americans for decades.

Holding a "grudge" is pretty tame to that.