Thread: help out a neophyte...

help out a neophyte...

Politics aren't really my strong suit. I never studied it in high school or college and as a young adult never cared enough to educate myself on the topic. As I've gotten older I find I'm getting more interested which is why I read this forum on a daily basis.

That being said, what differences or changes can I expect to see now that the Dems have seized control. They won the house, looks like they may win the senate... ok great... What does that mean for the country and how would that impact the life of a middle class guy in Rochester NY? Is at easy as it sounds some would make it sound? Expect higher taxes, more controlled spending, withdrawl of our troops in Iraq, more of a willingness to open the lines of communication with places like N. Korea and Iran etc?

I realize I may a tad naive on the topic but I'm ok with that. Just really interested to hear what some of you have to say.

lame duck president for the final two years

Prez will veto what he wants, the congress lacks veto-overrule majority.

hence no real significant legislature will be passed

and some of the more significant legislature will be repealed (tax cuts maybe)

affect on your life, unless you are super rich, slim to none.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Pac2566]Politics aren't really my strong suit. I never studied it in high school or college and as a young adult never cared enough to educate myself on the topic. As I've gotten older I find I'm getting more interested which is why I read this forum on a daily basis.

That being said, what differences or changes can I expect to see now that the Dems have seized control. They won the house, looks like they may win the senate... ok great... What does that mean for the country and how would that impact the life of a middle class guy in Rochester NY? Is at easy as it sounds some would make it sound? Expect higher taxes, more controlled spending, withdrawl of our troops in Iraq, more of a willingness to open the lines of communication with places like N. Korea and Iran etc?

I realize I may a tad naive on the topic but I'm ok with that. Just really interested to hear what some of you have to say.[/QUOTE]

Like you I am from NY....I would be more concerned with the election results from the state....aka- hold onto your wallet...

btw: this idea GWB is a "lame-duck-president" is a crock by the mindless .....

neither Clinton nor Reagan were lame ducks under similar circumstances....

no the effect on you're life will most likely be realized in 3-4 years. Momentum indicates the dems may take over the white house in 2 years

Hall Of Fame
    There will be a lot of noise, but the real fun won't begin until they carry this "Bush is the Anti-Christ" thing to 2008 and getting whatever half wit dem elected President. Then we will morph into a France like state that will allow WWIII to happen. But at least we will have got rid of that damn Patriot Act. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=bitonti]lame duck president for the final two years

Prez will veto what he wants, the congress lacks veto-overrule majority.

hence no real significant legislature will be passed

and some of the more significant legislature will be repealed (tax cuts maybe)

affect on your life, unless you are super rich, slim to none.[/QUOTE]

Excuse Making 101. Meet your Professor, Bitonti the Great Excuser. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]Like you I am from NY....I would be more concerned with the election results from the state....aka- hold onto your wallet...

[/QUOTE]
    True. NYS is in for some dark days of even higher taxes and driving businesses out even faster.

Like the Cuomo days...

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=Pac2566]Politics aren't really my strong suit. I never studied it in high school or college and as a young adult never cared enough to educate myself on the topic. As I've gotten older I find I'm getting more interested which is why I read this forum on a daily basis.

I realize I may a tad naive on the topic but I'm ok with that. Just really interested to hear what some of you have to say.[/QUOTE]

Do you know how to farm?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=flushingjet]Do you know how to farm?[/QUOTE]

:funnyguy: :funnyguy: :funnyguy:

[QUOTE=flushingjet]Do you know how to farm?[/QUOTE]

Not sure I follow you...

flushingjet
    Watch the taxes go up

Watch the exodus of higher income people & jobs

Growing your own food for a living or sustenance
    might become very attractive

[QUOTE=flushingjet]Watch the taxes go up

Watch the exodus of higher income people & jobs

Growing your own food for a living or sustenance
    might become very attractive[/QUOTE]

and it's with this my indoctrination into the world of politics is now complete. Thanks for all the insight guys. I'm ready to run for Mayor of my town. ;)