Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Democrats Promise to America

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

The Democrats Promise to America

Within the first 100 legislative hours, Soon-to-be Speaker Pelosi has pledged:

--To raise the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour.

--To cut interest rates on student loans in half.

--To allow the government to negotiate directly with the pharmaceutical companies for lower drug prices for Medicare patients.

--To expand federal backing of (Embryonic) stem cell research.

--To put an end to subsidies to "big oil".

In addition, she (and her fellow Democrats) have sworn to:

--To NOT impeach President Bush.

--To Roll back or eliminate the Bush Tax Cuts.

--To put an end to the Bush Wiretapping program.

--Reform the system to end the stink of corruption. Overhaul lobbying laws and increase ethics enforcement

--A large number of Democrats are also on record calling the War in Iraq things such as "Wrong", "Illegal", "Poorly planned, badly executed", "Inappropriate", "Based on faulty intel" and many many many other very clear comments showing that they feel the War is wrong, period.

As such, we should expect, within this same 100 hour from taking office time frame, that the Democrat Majority in the House (and very likely in the Senate) will propose and pass legislation calling for the full withdrawal of troops from Iraq, and an end to our involement in the so-called "illegal war".

These are the promises of the Democratic Party now in Power. No longer can excuse-makers like Bitonti blame the Rpeublicans for everything. In fact, when it comes to our Legislature, Bitonti's comment that the Dems "are Powerless, completely powerless" now applies to the Republicans. ALL of America legislative power now resides in Democratic Leadership hands.

The Democrats have said many things over the past few years. Made many of their positions, most obviously the one that the Iraq War is wrong and must end ASAP, very well known.

The now have the power.

Lets see what they do with it.
    Last edited by Warfish; 11-08-2006 at 02:49 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I seriously doubt dems will call for a full withdrawel of troops. but that is my biggest fear right now. that the dems declare defeat in iraq

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are NOT leaving Iraq..It's BUSH's call anyway...
    Maybe the Dems will make Bush keep his promise of getting Osama Bin Laden....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=joewilly]I seriously doubt dems will call for a full withdrawel of troops. but that is my biggest fear right now. that the dems declare defeat in iraq[/QUOTE]

That is ridiculous. The dems want to stablize the region. We can do that thru negotiation, monetary aid and keeping our troop level at an appropriate level until the Iraqis can do something for themselves.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You young guys get ready for a draft. Maybe not in this administration, but you can bet the farm if a dem is elected president in couple of years there will be...bank on it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman]We are NOT leaving Iraq..It's BUSH's call anyway...[/QUOTE]

That is an inaccurate statement. The LEgislature has full authority to end the War. Even if they did not, the have full power to DEFUND The War, effectively ending it immediately.

If the War is wrong, and we shouldn't be there, as almost every Democrat is on record as saying, then American combat involvement in Iraq could be over, or at the least severely curtailed, within the 100 hour timeframe.

Don;t run from the power your side won Bman. The Democrats now control America. The people have spoken, and with one large scream said no to G.W. Bush, and No to the Iraq War "Quagmire". The Dems now have the power to fix one of those. We'll see if they do it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote]
    No longer can excuse-makers like Bitonti blame the Rpeublicans for everything. In fact, when it comes to our Legislature, Bitonti's comment that the Dems "are Powerless, completely powerless" now applies to the Republicans. ALL of America legislative power now resides in Democratic Leadership hands.
    [/quote]

they can push whatever legislation they want

Bush will just veto it

they lack veto override

it's a stalemate

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]That is an inaccurate statement. The LEgislature has full authority to end the War. Even if they did not, the have full power to DEFUND The War, effectively ending it immediately.

If the War is wrong, and we shouldn't be there, as almost every Democrat is on record as saying, then American combat involvement in Iraq could be over, or at the least severely curtailed, within the 100 hour timeframe.

Don;t run from the power your side won Bman. The Democrats now control America. The people have spoken, and with one large scream said no to G.W. Bush, and No to the Iraq War "Quagmire". The Dems now have the power to fix one of those. We'll see if they do it.[/QUOTE]

We have a responsibility to the people over there. So any withdrawal has to be in a careful, designed and well articulated manner

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]The Democrats now control America. [/QUOTE]

they control congress

Bush controls veto power

that's far cry from "controlling" America

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=joewilly]I seriously doubt dems will call for a full withdrawel of troops. but that is my biggest fear right now. that the dems declare defeat in iraq[/QUOTE]

you're about six months too late on that one joewilly....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]they can push whatever legislation they want

Bush will just veto it

they lack veto override

it's a stalemate[/QUOTE]

A Veto is irrelevant, and you know it. If it is a matter of principle, as almost every Democrat has said it is, they will at the very least make the effort.

And secondary to that, Bush cannot veto the Legislature from defunding the War. The Budget is completely at the mercy and discretion of the Legislature.

You have the power now Bit. No more excuses about being the "powerless party".

I eagarly await seeing what the do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]A Veto is irrelevant, and you know it. If it is a matter of principle, as almost every Democrat has said it is, they will at the very least make the effort.

And secondary to that, Bush cannot veto the Legislature from defunding the War. The Budget is completely at the mercy and discretion of the Legislature.

You have the power now Bit. No more excuses about being the "powerless party".

I eagarly await seeing what the do.[/QUOTE]

yeah that's great

meanwhile back in reality the Democrats won't "Defund" the war despite your hopes of them making fools of themselves.

They will probably put pressure on the Executive branch to pull out but remember warfish this isn't a technical war it's an executive police action and hence not really the domain of congress.

and if you really believe that veto is irrelivant i suggest you crack open your old 4th grade social studies book and read about the three branches of government.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]they can push whatever legislation they want

Bush will just veto it

they lack veto override

it's a stalemate[/QUOTE]
    what about the Republicans who have been voting along with them to create the effective stalemate all along?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]yeah that's great

meanwhile back in reality the Democrats won't "Defund" the war despite your hopes of them making fools of themselves.

They will probably put pressure on the Executive branch to pull out but remember warfish this isn't a technical war it's an executive police action and hence not really the domain of congress.

and if you really believe that veto is irrelivant i suggest you crack open your old 4th grade social studies book and read about the three branches of government.[/QUOTE]

Excuse making at it's finest. Sad to see you starting that before even 1 full day of being in Power Bit. You control America now, the people have put their faith in you, so try not to sound so patheticly weak and incappable, eh?

The Dems can end the War now. Unless they lied to us all about how they felt about it, they will do so, plain and simple.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fish you forget to mention the first thing that she said she would do. Reform the system to end the stink of corruption. I would look for a major overhaul of lobbying laws and more ethics enforcement.

That was a major part of the Democratic platform and exit polls have shown that corruption was one of the major issues on voters minds.

She has to deliver on this and that's a good thing no?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]Fish you forget to mention the first thing that she said she would do. Reform the system to end the stink of corruption. I would look for a major overhaul of lobbying laws and more ethics enforcement.

That was a major part of the Democratic platform and exit polls have shown that corruption was one of the major issues on voters minds.

She has to deliver on this and that's a good thing no?[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. Added that to the initial post. Thank you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]you're about six months too late on that one joewilly....[/QUOTE]

:) :) :)

I guess you're right now that I think about it. Do you really think the current situation in Iraq would be different without the whining of the other side? the way I see it, since rep had full control, it really hasn't affected the outcome up til now

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=joewilly]:) :) :)

I guess you're right now that I think about it. Do you really think the current situation in Iraq would be different without the whining of the other side? the way I see it, since rep had full control, it really hasn't affected the outcome up til now[/QUOTE]

If Iraq is run so well under the repubs, why did Rumsfeld quit today? This is a joke. The repubs have virtually lost this war.

They got and USED bad intelligence, they underestimated the will of the enemy. The killed almost 3000 US troops...

Iraq is a disaster under Bush and the repubs. The American poeple have spoken. We will attempt to get things fixed now. Bush has left us with a disater that his on cronies can't fix.

So let's not just come out and say the "dems". It is a mess already.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Excuse making at it's finest. Sad to see you starting that before even 1 full day of being in Power Bit. You control America now, the people have put their faith in you, so try not to sound so patheticly weak and incappable, eh?

The Dems can end the War now. Unless they lied to us all about how they felt about it, they will do so, plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

the democratic party is not united on what the correct course of action is for the war. Some people like Biden want to create 3 nation states - others want to essentially stay the course and still others want to cut and run right now - there is no united "what to do on the war" message hence they don't have to live up to it.

It's not excuse making it's logic and reality.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=joewilly]:) :) :)

I guess you're right now that I think about it. Do you really think the current situation in Iraq would be different without the whining of the other side? the way I see it, since rep had full control, it really hasn't affected the outcome up til now[/QUOTE]

when you have leaders from the other side like murtha constantly saying this is an unwinnable war, claiming the Marines killed innocent people in cold blood and claiming we need to start redeploying at once it is going to have an effect....

Imagine is Schottenheimer said for the next two weeks the Jets offense will never score on the Bears defense...and did it in a manner similar to the way murtha does as described above....I think that would have an effect....now imagine if that was all that was said for close to a year...